What options are left for British PM Johnson on Brexit?

webfact

25 minutes ago, vogie said:

There was no EU in 1975, it was the common market, it sureptitiously morphed into the EU.

Yes, and EVERY step signed by all members of the EU council = heads of government of all EU member states and ratified by the UK parliament.

EU Treaty: Britain ratifies EU Treaty - telegraph.co.uk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2153561/EU-Treaty-Britain-ratifies-EU-Treaty.html

18-6-2008 · Britain has become the 19th European Union country to ratify the Lisbon Treaty ... the UK on the approval of the Treaty of Lisbon ... Sign up to our ...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Yiou forget British democracy: the largest in a constituency ( 650 of them) takes all= the seat, the rest nothing. 

50% + 1 of these seats and you have the government.

I forget nothing - a lot of the Tory majority piles up uselessly in southern seats. SNP will probably take Scotland again and reverse the Tory gains there. Johnson's opportunism will mean there can be no deal with Farage and the Brexit Party will stymie any hopes of a Tory breakthrough in northern Leave seats. 

13 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

I ordered a beer... in my Dutch accent.

And what I got… a half warm ale… Why not a proper Heineken, cold and with a white foam layer on top ? I, as Dutch, ordered a BEER... not a lousy tasting ? ? drink ? ? 

At last now you see the difference between you and the UK...You like beer to be like your fizzy pop youth, we British grow out of that stuff...????

7 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Stop with that.
It is obvious that the parliament should pass a law making the second referendum binding, definitive and immediately applicable with a pre-defined agenda.

But who in parliament should write that law.

The Leavers?

The Remainers?

Somebody else.

The Lib/Dems have said that the only result they will accept is Remain and they will ignore any other result.

So if the result is still leave what do you do with the Lib/Dems?

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

And of course.... drive right hand way, so they remember their blunder  for years when adapting to it  ….:clap2:

And of course... no Stone Age measurements as .. weight by "stones", lenght by inch (thumb), foot or yard ( step). 

7 hours ago, Basil B said:

If a referendum is binding then it should only be if it has a clear majority, and 2% is no way a clear majority.

Many seats in the HoC are won with less than 2% majority and that is acceptable by the public. Why should the referendum be any different?

12 minutes ago, david555 said:

Now ….! as a neighbor I must bite my tongue in the interest of mutual E.U. defense line, as you call Heineken under the naming "Beer "..... but I can resist it (for now....) please do not repeat ….:cheesy: 

As long as we both can laugh about each other's  humour… 

( bye-the-way: I donot like any beer at all, Only fermented grape juice, 11-13%) 

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

As long as we both can laugh about each other's  humour… 

( bye-the-way: I donot like any beer at all, Only fermented grape juice, 11-13%) 

BTW  anyway Heineken a top of the bill marketing product ….. second after Coca Cola on world ranking …

5 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

And of course... no Stone Age measurements as .. weight by "stones", lenght by inch (thumb), foot or yard ( step). 

And your wrist watch has ten hours to the half day, and you cannot understand why you speak English...????

9 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I forget nothing - a lot of the Tory majority piles up uselessly in southern seats. SNP will probably take Scotland again and reverse the Tory gains there. Johnson's opportunism will mean there can be no deal with Farage and the Brexit Party will stymie any hopes of a Tory breakthrough in northern Leave seats. 

Just wait, till Nissan quits one production shift after a no deal Brexit.

1.     Analysis: Brexit and the UK car industry | Autocar

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/industry/analysis-brexit-and-uk-car-industry

19-2-2019 · And bobbing up in the whole debate is Brexit. Nissan’s X-Trail ... that car companies will shift their ... cars in the UK. Mini production ...

2.     Nissan production shift could be followed by other …

https://www.cips.org/.../2019/february/nissan-u-turn-shows-effects-of-brexit-uncertainty

7-2-2019 · Nissan's move to shift production of its X-trail SUV out of the UK could be the first of many such decisions by companies if a definitive Brexit deal is ...

3.     PressTV-Nissan scraps production of new car in UK

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/02/03/587589/Nissan-announcement...

3-2-2019 · Japanese car-maker Nissan has announced that it is scrapping plans for production of a new model in its UK factory in Sunderland, saying uncertainties ...

4.     Brexit: Nissan ditches UK amid political chaos - …

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/nissan-cancels-plans-to-make-x...

3-2-2019 · Nissan cancels plans to make X-Trail SUV in the UK amid Brexit ... Nissan car plant after finishing their shift ... and new car production ...

UK car production collapses 18% as industry warns …

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-car-production-brexit-no-deal...

28-2-2019 · UK car production collapses 18% as ... Jaguar Land Rover and Ford have all laid out plans to cut jobs or shift production ... Nissan has been betrayed by ..

11 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If Boris pushes a deal through ( essentially May's) then it would not benefit Farage one bit to oppose the Tories in a General Election.

The Brexit party has no hope of winning so would simply be a spoiler , that could let in a Corbyn government or a Remain coalition , Brexit would be no more.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Many seats in the HoC are won with less than 2% majority and that is acceptable by the public. Why should the referendum be any different?

A temporary seat in the HoC is of a complete different magnitude as a for a long time giving consequences, like a membership of an Union of States.  Same for a split of the UK in .. Mercia, Sussex, Northumbria, etc.

6 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Just wait, till Nissan quits one production shift after a no deal Brexit.

1.     Analysis: Brexit and the UK car industry | Autocar

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/industry/analysis-brexit-and-uk-car-industry

19-2-2019 · And bobbing up in the whole debate is Brexit. Nissan’s X-Trail ... that car companies will shift their ... cars in the UK. Mini production ...

2.     Nissan production shift could be followed by other …

https://www.cips.org/.../2019/february/nissan-u-turn-shows-effects-of-brexit-uncertainty

7-2-2019 · Nissan's move to shift production of its X-trail SUV out of the UK could be the first of many such decisions by companies if a definitive Brexit deal is ...

3.     PressTV-Nissan scraps production of new car in UK

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/02/03/587589/Nissan-announcement...

3-2-2019 · Japanese car-maker Nissan has announced that it is scrapping plans for production of a new model in its UK factory in Sunderland, saying uncertainties ...

4.     Brexit: Nissan ditches UK amid political chaos - …

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/nissan-cancels-plans-to-make-x...

3-2-2019 · Nissan cancels plans to make X-Trail SUV in the UK amid Brexit ... Nissan car plant after finishing their shift ... and new car production ...

UK car production collapses 18% as industry warns …

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-car-production-brexit-no-deal...

28-2-2019 · UK car production collapses 18% as ... Jaguar Land Rover and Ford have all laid out plans to cut jobs or shift production ... Nissan has been betrayed by ..

Agreed you may have been confused by my trolling avatar which celebrated the effect the Brexit party has on the Tory vote ! I will probably change it to Magic Grandpa !

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well that's democracy Lib/Dem style for you.

Remember that all the MPs are give a pill after they are elected which makes them smarted and more clever than the whole population of the UK.

IMHO there should be a general election asap but who is stopping it? About 400 people in the HoC who fear, and quite rightly so, that their gravy train will fall of the tracks.

Thats one of the worst aspects of this whole sorry mess , the re emergence of the Lib Dems , pointless bunch of protest mongers.

I think that Boris will just make extravagant claims as to his popularity, successes, etc.  Just like Trump!  I am afraid that the conservatives will take a hell of a beating in the next election.

I do have one question.  How come there were multiple referendums on Brexit but once it was passed by a small majority there can not be any new referendum on the subject?

1 minute ago, mlmcleod said:

I think that Boris will just make extravagant claims as to his popularity, successes, etc.  Just like Trump!  I am afraid that the conservatives will take a hell of a beating in the next election.

I do have one question.  How come there were multiple referendums on Brexit but once it was passed by a small majority there can not be any new referendum on the subject?

Because Brexit fundamentalists fear democracy. 

They managed to win the last one using lies and deceit but dont believe they can win the next one. Polls show they would lose.

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

3 most likely options are...

1. Challenge/test the law in the courts. Exit the EU while it's going through the process.

2. Let Britain veto it's own request for an extension. 

3. Convince one of the other member states to veto the request by threatening to become a menace in the European Parliament (veto everything, regularly demonstrate and ignore protocol etc.). The Brexit party can help with this.

Quite a few other options as well. This is far from over but the government are keeping quiet on which option they will take to avoid Parliament plotting against it. Good Luck Boris, together, the people and the government can overcome this colluding, traitorous Parliament,

So when he and his cronies were voting against the government they were being loyal

citizens. He and his gang of self serving con men brought down May and are now crying

like babies because they too cannot command a majority in parliament to pass their

proposals.

Johnson is an appropriate slang word for a male organ.

14 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Wonderful words indeed. Screenshot_20190911-143257_Twitter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Up to the tower with him ! …., prepare the tools who could remain there …..:clap2:, hopefully there are still those cages to hang on the outside wall ….:cheesy:   after....

Come on Bercow open the joint again …..:tongue:

6 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

A temporary seat in the HoC is of a complete different magnitude as a for a long time giving consequences, like a membership of an Union of States.  Same for a split of the UK in .. Mercia, Sussex, Northumbria, etc.

Do not forget that our FPTP voting system is very antiquated and out of date. 

10 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Wonderful words indeed. Screenshot_20190911-143257_Twitter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Off to the Supreme Court now...

Have to queue behind Gina Miller and John Major

Boris Johnson’s suspension of the UK Parliament is unlawful, Scotland’s highest civil court has ruled.

A panel of three judges at the Court of Session found in favour of a cross-party group of politicians who were challenging the prime minister's move.

The judges said the PM was attempting to prevent Parliament holding the government to account ahead of Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

Archived