What options are left for British PM Johnson on Brexit?

webfact

I would like any Brexiter to concisely answer the following question ;

Given that Nigel Farage famously said ( on the night of the referendum , to cheering supporters , when he believed he had lost) that "he would not give up , he would keep fighting until Brexit is won "

So clearly he felt it right and proper for a loser to keep going until they got what they wanted , why should remain supporters not do exactly that , as many have done.

Surely its the grossest hypocrisy to laud the ' never give up ' spirit of ones own yet abuse opponents who do exactly the same ?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Why are they so adamant about getting out of the EU on the 31st of October?

Because in January an EU law comes into effect that would force them to reveal and declare their finances and where they are hiding it.

They would have to pay tax on those earnings. Even if it comes from abroad.

Tax is only for poor people. Rich elites believe they should not have to pay tax.

Which EU law ? Link please.

2) This law ONLY and ONLY can come into effect when during An EU council meeting, in which all heads of government of all EU member states are in, so.. in this case Theresa May, signed to agree.

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

In my opinion, it is time to bring on the 'unmentionable'.

I know that a second referendum is tantamount to heresy for many people, but I believe that the British public at all levels of society are far better informed as to  the ramifications of Brexit now, than they where back in 2016.

Personally, I cannot see a single argument in favour of Brexit. I couldn't back then and I my opinion has been reinforced by the revelations since the referendum. And I'm sure there are many thousands of others are now also having second thoughts.

It's time that the British public had their say.

I still do not understand why the British voters are NOT allowed to vote which "Leave" they want. After 2 1/2 years of debate, LLLLOOOOTTTT's of publications, everyone should know now the consequences of each step.

Or it it the fear, the British finally will cancel Brexit ?

6 hours ago, tebee said:

But so is leaving and joining EFTA and so is leaving and accepting the WA - which one does the referendum give a mandate for ?

Which EFTA ? There are no members anymore, all ( associate) member of the EU

3 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

I would like any Brexiter to concisely answer the following question ;

Given that Nigel Farage famously said ( on the night of the referendum , to cheering supporters , when he believed he had lost) that "he would not give up , he would keep fighting until Brexit is won "

So clearly he felt it right and proper for a loser to keep going until they got what they wanted , why should remain supporters not do exactly that , as many have done.

Surely its the grossest hypocrisy to laud the ' never give up ' spirit of ones own yet abuse opponents who do exactly the same ?

If I'm not incorrect, Nigel Farage fought using democratic principles, including forming his own party as well as debated in the EU Parliament for 15 years.

I think there's a difference between throwing yourself to the floor, kicking and screaming, and being committed to achieving a change using parliamentary principles. 

6 hours ago, david555 said:

yes 2/3 is needed for serious matters …. 50/50 vote … 1 vote more could  decides for all …..lunacy !!

As is the law in MANY countries.

But under British democracy: 50% + 1 vote get all.

Consequences.. will be discovered later.

5 hours ago, david555 said:

I think after a few years" out "…..you would not have much problem to get a 2/3 majority to rejoin after the "out" experience ….????

In the June 1975 referendum, it was 67,2% to JOIN the EU. 

2016 referendum: 51,88 % for A KIND OF... "Leave".

When I would be in charge in the EU to accept a UK ( or English)  a rejoin, I would insist a 2/3 of all British voters, and.. at least a 99 years. EU membership is not a tourniquette in a supermarket.

3 hours ago, transam said:

As soon as I read that a vision from the last century popped into my head that I recalled.

It was a bloke standing on the french shore line looking through a periscope at the white cliffs of Dover, big smile, bobbing up and down on his toes, staff behind all smiles.....

Then I smiled, cos guess what happened........????

Thanks to gigantic US and Sovjet support. Without.. wurde jetzt Deutsch gesprochen in die britische Inseln.

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

When I would be in charge in the EU to accept a UK ( or English)  a rejoin, I would insist a 2/3 of all British voters, and.. at least a 99 years. EU membership is not a tourniquette in a supermarket.

There was no EU in 1975, it was the common market, it sureptitiously morphed into the EU.

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

This whole situation resembles the anti-Trump Federal judge in Honolulu, HI, who constantly rules against Trump in order to delay the enforcement of new laws before the Supreme Court corrects the Hawaii-judge by overruling his decision.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Now that Boris Johnson doesn’t have to dance to “Come on Arlene” the obvious choice is to isolate the backstop to NI, use the political declaration time period to work on credible “alternative arrangements” and then move on with his domestic agenda, which, as much as I dislike him, looks like a vote winner and a much better alternative to Corbyn. He also needs to reinstate the whip to the rebels. 

It’s obvious what he needs to do. The last thing he wants is to be the shortest reigning prime minister in history. 

Why not to accept the "backstop", what is nothing more as a written guarantee there will be never a hard border between N - S ireland. And when it suits the British - just as now witht the Good Friday agreement - cancell it and decrate it worthless. A signature of the UK is now already worth 20 1/2 year, no more.

Funny that the Telegraph commissions a poll and then doesn't publish it. Johnson and his claque must be panicking in No 10. Corbyn has never been nearer to the keys of No 10. Thankyou Brexit , thank you Nigel. Keep up the good work !

https://www.comresglobal.com/polls/the-daily-telegraph-westminster-voting-intention-september-2019/

15 minutes ago, Forethat said:

If I'm not incorrect, Nigel Farage fought using democratic principles, including forming his own party as well as debated in the EU Parliament for 15 years.

I think there's a difference between throwing yourself to the floor, kicking and screaming, and being committed to achieving a change using parliamentary principles. 

You did not answer the question !

5 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Why not to accept the "backstop", what is nothing more as a written guarantee there will be never a hard border between N - S ireland. And when it suits the British - just as now witht the Good Friday agreement - cancell it and decrate it worthless. A signature of the UK is now already worth 20 1/2 year, no more.

A Johnson signature/promise is worth nothing as his Brexit 'pals'/ERG are quickly finding out. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7451247/Boris-Johnson-faces-Brexiteer-revolt-amid-climbdown-claims.html

There are growing signs today that Boris Johnson is ready to compromise on his Brexit demands after he admitted he faces a revolt from hardline Tory Eurosceptics.

The Prime Minister told Remainer rebels he is expecting 'spears in my back' from so-called 'Spartans' in his own party.

According to the Sun, Mr Johnson told Remainer rebels during talks that he would need their support on Brexit soon.

'The spears in my back won't be from you, they'll come from the Spartans,' he said. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lets assume they leave without a deal on the 31st October.

And then?

The UK and EU will still trade with each other. Yes, but with import duty added to the cost price Delivered Duty Paid. 

People will still travel. Yes, but AFTER they got a Schengen visa

So what will happen very soon?  31 Oct. They will start to talk to each other again about trade and other agreements. Yes, and in this speed, will conclude something - after no, no, no. no.no. no in the HoC) next decade.

And what will be that start of those negotiations: The backstop, the payment, all those things the UK parliament can't agree on. So.. leave the club, no access to the EU facilities anymore, no EU money to any already guaranteed projects, no pension etc to Farage c.s.

Same same but different. Because once the UK is out of the EU it will be a lot harder for them to work on this. Exactly as an overwhelming, landslide majority of 51,88% voted for, split sas we now know over a lot of alternatives. Just an ignorable minority of 48,11 % voted for only ONE option: "REMAIN".

Great job Boris!

13 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

And of course.... drive right hand way, so they remember their blunder  for years when adapting to it  ….:clap2:

7 hours ago, vogie said:

The British people have had their say, they voted leave. And to keep bringing up the idea of another referendum is an insult to most peoples intelligence. MPs have already stated publicly that if and when leave won again that they would not honour that referendum, so surely most people would have to agree the sheer futility of having another referendum when only the result of 'remain' would be accepted. Democracy remain style?

Where is democracy in Uk? I can see only a "wannabe" Churchill acting like a dictator with a nose like Pinocchio.  ????

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

As a European I truly regret if a no-deal Brexit would take place. 

Europe needs the priceless British sense of humour!

Brexit beer deal.jpg

I ordered a beer... in my Dutch accent.

And what I got… a half warm ale… Why not a proper Heineken, cold and with a white foam layer on top ? I, as Dutch, ordered a BEER... not a lousy tasting ? ? drink ? ? 

More panic stations from Johnson - all of you that cheered and celebrated when you thought you would get your No Deal Brexit and we told you he was a serial untrustworthy liar should look in the mirror and ask who is the fool now ?

Alp Mehmet, Migration Watch chair, stormed: “This unwise and retrograde step will likely lead to foreign graduates staying on to stack shelves, as happened before.

“Our universities are attracting a record number of overseas students so there is no need to devalue a study visa by turning it into a backdoor route for working here.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9903665/boris-johnson-backdoor-route-britain-foreign-students/

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

As an outsider I watch in disbelief. One Union is good, but another union is not good.

How about if you guys left the EU and then the EU, and perhaps some other white countries   joined the UK?

would that make you happy?

You can call it the Association of White International People, 

ASS.W.I.PE for short.

No other EU nation wants to follow the British in their economic and financial suicide.

Even the Scots + Irish want to "REMAIN" in the EU.

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

I ordered a beer... in my Dutch accent.

And what I got… a half warm ale… Why not a proper Heineken, cold and with a white foam layer on top ? I, as Dutch, ordered a BEER... not a lousy tasting ? ? drink ? ? 

Now ….! as a neighbor I must bite my tongue in the interest of mutual E.U. defense line, as you call Heineken under the naming "Beer "..... but I can resist it (for now....) please do not repeat ….:cheesy: 

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Keep up the good work Nigel and you BP nutters - latest poll. Our latest voting intention for 
@Telegraph
https://www.comresglobal.com/polls/the-daily-telegraph-westminster-voting-intention-september-2019/

Yiou forget British democracy: the largest in a constituency ( 650 of them) takes all= the seat, the rest nothing. 

50% + 1 of these seats and you have the government.

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wouldn't solve anything. The Lib Dem leader said she would continue to vote against Brexit in Parliament even if Leave won again. It would just delay things another year and we'd be back where we are now.

Well that's democracy Lib/Dem style for you.

Remember that all the MPs are give a pill after they are elected which makes them smarted and more clever than the whole population of the UK.

IMHO there should be a general election asap but who is stopping it? About 400 people in the HoC who fear, and quite rightly so, that their gravy train will fall of the tracks.

Archived