Is the AIS 1mb Ok for normal browsing stuff

2008bangkok

I had a True 1 yr 4mps Unlimited SIM, thats now finished so not sure whether to get another or just use my AIS sim and get the 1200 baht Unlimited 1mbps.

Im connected to wifi most of the time so only really need it when im out and bored and look at facebook, receive Facebook messenger messages and look at Instagram

Anyone using the 1mpbs, is it ok for this purpose?

2 hours ago, boriga said:

In my experience the 1mbps is adequate and from your description of your use it should be for you.

The key issue is that the data is unlimited as they say, however after 7.5 Gb of data in one month the speed will drop to 128kbps!

That's the Thai definition of unlimited. They need to consult a dictionary if they want to use English terms, and understand them.

5 hours ago, boriga said:

In my experience the 1mbps is adequate and from your description of your use it should be for you.

The key issue is that the data is unlimited as they say, however after 7.5 Gb of data in one month the speed will drop to 128kbps!

You make erroneous assumptions. There are two possibilities, dependent on the age of the SIM involved.

SIMs activated before the 1st of Feb are still eligible for truly unlimited 1 Mbps, 4 Mbps and 10 Mbps data.

SIMs activated after that have the limited data component,

10 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Confusing description, as the second option has limited data at 4 Mbps. 

In fact it's just a standard Truemove H SIM, supplied with publicly available codes that you can tap in for yourself.

Their blurb;

Is a new SIM, the shop has registered Customers must top-up and click to apply before using the promotion.
4 Mbps SIM: The Net; customers can choose between 4 types;
Top up 100 baht / month, get 4G / 3G internet with a maximum speed of 4Mbps, amount 30GB / month, unlimited excess 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time Unlimited times
Prepaid 150 baht / month. Get 4G / 3G internet with a maximum speed of 4Mbps, 45GB / month, unlimited excess 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time. Unlimited times
Prepaid 200 baht / month, get 4G / 3G internet, maximum speed of 4Mbps, 100GB / month, unlimited excess 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time Unlimited times
Prepaid 250 baht / month. Get 4G / 3G internet at the maximum speed of 4Mbps with the amount of 135GB / month. Unlimited in excess of 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time. Unlimited times

I find AIS data works very well for VoIP calls internationally.  No drop outs or stuttering.  Much better than WiFi.  At least at my hotel which uses CAT internet.  The WiFi is fast and works well for general internet use but just doesn't work well for international VoIP calls.

19 hours ago, JamJar said:

You make erroneous assumptions. There are two possibilities, dependent on the age of the SIM involved.

SIMs activated before the 1st of Feb are still eligible for truly unlimited 1 Mbps, 4 Mbps and 10 Mbps data.

Odd, cos I've been on the unlimited data for 2 years, and when I renewed in August I got a warning message that I was now on the data limited plan.

20 hours ago, JamJar said:

Confusing description, as the second option has limited data at 4 Mbps. 

In fact it's just a standard Truemove H SIM, supplied with publicly available codes that you can tap in for yourself.

Their blurb;

Is a new SIM, the shop has registered Customers must top-up and click to apply before using the promotion.
4 Mbps SIM: The Net; customers can choose between 4 types;
Top up 100 baht / month, get 4G / 3G internet with a maximum speed of 4Mbps, amount 30GB / month, unlimited excess 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time Unlimited times
Prepaid 150 baht / month. Get 4G / 3G internet with a maximum speed of 4Mbps, 45GB / month, unlimited excess 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time. Unlimited times
Prepaid 200 baht / month, get 4G / 3G internet, maximum speed of 4Mbps, 100GB / month, unlimited excess 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time Unlimited times
Prepaid 250 baht / month. Get 4G / 3G internet at the maximum speed of 4Mbps with the amount of 135GB / month. Unlimited in excess of 128Kbps + free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time. Unlimited times

Do you know these publicly available codes ie the 100 baht 30gb per month one?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Odd, cos I've been on the unlimited data for 2 years, and when I renewed in August I got a warning message that I was now on the data limited plan.

Probably because you choose the code for a defunct plan.

What is available is;

1 Mbps 3/6/12 months 800/1200/1800 baht

4 Mbps 3 months 1284 baht

10 Mbps 3 months 1926 baht

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Do you know these publicly available codes ie the 100 baht 30gb per month one?

Yes. Search my posts and you will find that I've posted them all within the past couple of weeks.

From the top of my head *900*9604# for Truemove H.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's probably a mistake to buy the Tourist SIMs, as some Thai companies like to rip foreigners at every opportunity.

Those seem to be the only options at the Airport and at their stores.  At least that is what they display in english.  I'm sure if you know what you want they can pull it from under the counter but they probably won't tell you about them if you ask in English.

It would be a rip off if these codes I am now reading about, that give you super cheap data, actually work on non-tourist SIMs like that other thread seems to indicate.  Is it possible (and straight forward) to transfer my existing cell # from my AIS tourist SIM to a non-tourist SIM so I can take advantage of the cheap data codes?

17 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Those seem to be the only options at the Airport and at their stores.  At least that is what they display in english.  I'm sure if you know what you want they can pull it from under the counter but they probably won't tell you about them if you ask in English.

It would be a rip off if these codes I am now reading about, that give you super cheap data, actually work on non-tourist SIMs like that other thread seems to indicate.  Is it possible (and straight forward) to transfer my existing cell # from my AIS tourist SIM to a non-tourist SIM so I can take advantage of the cheap data codes?

If it is to be a newly activated SIM, in so that you could take advantage of the 4 Mbps promos for new SIM and you wanted to keep the same number, you would have to move to another network, porting your number.

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

how do you register a SIM bought on line?

I just took it into a True Store - They have an App that they scan your ID(Thai ID, Passport or Drivers License) and it was activated... My guess is any seller of SIM cards that has the App could do it for you... 

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You go to the company store in a shopping mall.

22 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Go to the relevant shop ( True, AIS etc ) and ask to register, is usually required before you can use it.

22 minutes ago, JamJar said:

You take it into a truemove H shop/service centre.

3 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I just took it into a True Store - They have an App that they scan your ID(Thai ID, Passport or Drivers License) and it was activated... My guess is any seller of SIM cards that has the App could do it for you... 

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Then get an eligible SIM.

Well thats the whole point. It was you that was saying that any old sim can use it as they public codes but obviously not. You need to have a sim that is on that promotion, hence that was the someone posted links to lazada LOL

On 9/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, JamJar said:

Thanks for that correction, I also thought that there was a distinction between SIMs registered before 1 Feb 2019 and after.

However, using the myAIS app on my phone I can see I have a monthly limit of 7.5 Gb before reduced speed service kicks in. I can also see from the app that I have been using this number for 11 years and 1 month, so my registration certainly pre-dates the 1 Feb 2019 date. I wondered if it might be a function of using the app (i.e. it defaults to the new limits) so I also logged into my account on my PC and both the 11+ years of service and 7.5 Gb limit are there.

I have no idea why. If you have any insight I would be please to know.

Archived