Patong or Kamala - Heart Attack?

Patong2

Just been updating our emergency phone numbers and have been discussing what/who to call in the event of a stroke of heart attack for either of us.

Time is so important at these times so a clear course of action could be vital.

Living in Patong, we are registered at Bangkok International Hospital in Phuket Town but a call to there for an ambulance could be a half hour delay before it even reached our apartment. Anyone in Kamala faces the same problem.

We have the Patong Hospital here but what emergency after hours treatment is available? Would you be better to go straight there, get stabilised and then sent to Bangkok International?

Anyone has any experience, suggestions or thoughts on this?

Patong has a 24hr Emergency Room- stabilised there then across to Vachira or Mission.

Last hospital I would want to be going to is BIP. They will hit you with all sort of unnecessary extras and milk your insurance to the hilt.

46 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Patong has a 24hr Emergency Room- stabilised there then across to Vachira or Mission.

Last hospital I would want to be going to is BIP. They will hit you with all sort of unnecessary extras and milk your insurance to the hilt.

Yes, Patong has an excellent ER. Ended up there a couple years back. I was impressed by the facilities and staff.

If more serious they tend to ship foreign patients off to BIP. So if no insurance insist alternative hospital. 

If I had a sudden heart attack in Patong I would get to the local hospital asap for assessment and stabilization. From there to the best International, money is a secondary consideration to life for me.

I  would avoid govt hospitals despite many who claim treatment there is just as good. (never convince me)

If insured, costs are the Insurances company's worry. 

My old mate "rest his sole" came over to my place in Patong a few years ago. After a few beers he complained of chest pains, I put him on the back of the bike and straight to Patong Hospital. After an hour or so was discharged with a bottle of indigestion medicine. I dropped him home and the next morning woke to the news he had died of a heart attack.

For me it would be one of the International Hospitals ASAP. 

Unless very lucky you only have one go at this.

That's great feedback everybody and thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Actually very reassuring

Our action plan will be to get to Patong Hospital ASAP to get stabilised if an emergency arises

Then get to one of the Phuket Town bigger hospitals as soon as advisable.

Definitely use our own discretion as to what the doctor advises and insist on further checks being done. Misdiagnosis is not unusual in any country and you need to check everything.

Anyone other ideas?

If I had a sudden heart attack in Patong I would get to the local hospital asap for assessment and stabilization. From there to the best International, money is a secondary consideration to life for me.
I  would avoid govt hospitals despite many who claim treatment there is just as good. (never convince me)
If insured, costs are the Insurances company's worry. 

Big government hospitals have 24-hour round-the-clock emergency and accident cover and constantly staffed intensive care facilities. Private hospitals usually do not. So if it was a heart attack I would want to go to the government hospital, if it was a hip operation I could book 2 months in advance I would go to a private hospital. I once went to Vachira Hospital emergency department with someone who was having an embolism and I was pretty impressed about how they dealt with it. A private hospital such as Bangkok Phuket on the other hand looks like a quiet resort hotel in comparison.

2 minutes ago, trd said:

Big government hospitals have 24-hour round-the-clock emergency and accident cover and constantly staffed intensive care facilities. Private hospitals usually do not. So if it was a heart attack I would want to go to the government hospital, if it was a hip operation I could book 2 months in advance I would go to a private hospital. I once went to Vachira Hospital emergency department with someone who was having an embolism and I was pretty impressed about how they dealt with it. A private hospital such as Bangkok Phuket on the other hand looks like a quiet resort hotel in comparison.

A bit of reading for you to assist in correcting your knowledge of the subject.  https://www.phukethospital.com/center/trauma-center/

Telling porkies like that may lead someone in big trouble to bypass their best chance of survival.

I don't know of a guy, but I've personally been in BHP trauma center on two occasions.  

On 9/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, Patong2 said:

Misdiagnosis is not unusual in any country and you need to check everything.

From my own experience 12 years ago from abroad, the pain of having a heart attack is like some sharp pressing pain into the middle of the chest, for me, I couldn't breath, although trying real hard to relax, the pain got more intense each time I tried to relax, (not all experience this I am told), suffice to say, I did not ring an ambulance, I got in the car (not recommended), but as it was midnight on a Thursday night, I did a right turn, a left turn and straight up the road for about 2 kilometres to the emergency section where they stabilised me while they called in the stand by crew who arrived about 15 minutes later and put in a stent.

The words that I clearly remember after the Cardiologist finished his procedure of putting in the stent were, you had a 95% blocked, left anterior descending artery and I am glad the ambulance got you here when they did, because if they didn't get you here quick enough you would have died.

The above said, if you can drive during it, or have someone who can drive you to the hospital as opposed to waiting for an ambulance, do it that way, the latter preferred.  

Telling porkies like that may lead someone in big trouble to bypass their best chance of survival.

Well my friend who went through the emergency room at Vachira survived after a brain embolism. stabilized for convulsions and fitting within 15 minutes then immediately wheeled in to have a CT scan. MRI the following morning. Kept in for 2 weeks to have blood levels stabilized for oral warfarin therapy. Fully recovered. So no mate, I feel good about my advice, particularly since I've had experience with UK A&E.

11 minutes ago, trd said:

Well my friend who went through the emergency room at Vachira survived after a brain embolism. stabilized for convulsions and fitting within 15 minutes then immediately wheeled in to have a CT scan. MRI the following morning. Kept in for 2 weeks to have blood levels stabilized for oral warfarin therapy. Fully recovered. So no mate, I feel good about my advice, particularly since I've had experience with UK A&E.

The porkies referred to no emergency services at BPH.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:38 AM, patongphil said:

My old mate "rest his sole" came over to my place in Patong a few years ago. After a few beers he complained of chest pains, I put him on the back of the bike and straight to Patong Hospital. After an hour or so was discharged with a bottle of indigestion medicine. I dropped him home and the next morning woke to the news he had died of a heart attack.

For me it would be one of the International Hospitals ASAP. 

Unless very lucky you only have one go at this.

The symptoms of indigestion are similar to those of heart attack.

A few years back I was beset with pain of which I had never experienced before, I was sweating

buckets, literally soaking my clothes. 

Fortunately I was working in an NHS hospital at the time, made my way to A&E

and was rushed off to the cardiac care ward and hooked up to sensors.

After 6 hours of obs I was sent on my way with a prescription for indigestion

tablets which was rather embarrassing but also quite a relief!

35 minutes ago, trd said:

I'm glad you feel good about your advice that people should bypass BHP  after hours because they're closed, but you told a lie.

I spent only 4 days in a private hospital getting Warfarin injections in the stomach before reverting to oral tabs and going home.

I'm glad you feel good about your advice that people should bypass BHP  after hours because they're closed, but you told a lie.
I spent only 4 days in a private hospital getting Warfarin injections in the stomach before reverting to oral tabs and going home.
Your own treatment has nothing to do with anyone else's treatment. To make such comparisons is foolish.

2 minutes ago, trd said:
4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Your own treatment has nothing to do with anyone else's treatment. To make such comparisons is foolish.

And yet you used someone else's treatment to try to bolster your false assertions, I made a personal comparison at a private hospital for similar treatment.

Your acquaintance sounded like he had problems other than blood coagulation. Perhaps you should have led with that.

I notice you haven't backed off from the false information you gave.

And yet you used someone else's treatment to try to bolster your false assertions, I made a personal comparison at a private hospital for similar treatment.
Your acquaintance sounded like he had problems other than blood coagulation. Perhaps you should have led with that.
I notice you haven't backed off from the false information you gave.

I notice you have a lot of time on your hands and you sound like a very self-righteous person.

Archived