How is life for 3 ex-Expats who have returned to UK?

webfact

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

Please supply evidence.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Something is making them risk their lives and those of their families,

to try and cross the Channel to the UK, when they are already safe in

France.

regards worgeordie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Maybe you should have gone back as an Illegal immigrant, that way you would get free house,

big government check monthly, and a free pass for anything else you need.

BUT you have to have a beard.....

What a load of <deleted>! While you've. Been p*using away your welfare checks in LOS, EU nationals have been doing the work you should.have been doing...and they've  been exploiting by slimy uk moonlighting bosses

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Could be many/most people do not go to Thailand for females , females exist in every Country in the World 

Yes they do. The difference is, many in Western countries are complete lardasses, backed by a legal system that favours them.

2 hours ago, rtco said:

I wasn't broke when I moved here. I had a good pension that a so called reputable Financial Adviser suggested I invest in a secure Australian Fund which, after 2-years, went bust and was found to be a Ponzi Scheme + the Financial Adviser was found to be operating illegally here. Still fighting for some kind of recompense after 6-years. So not "utter madness" as you call it but a victim of circumstance. We all have different stories so don't generalise.

I can sympathize with that, lost about quarter of a million (AUD ) to unlisted property trusts during the GFC.

My biggest beef is with ASIC, useless bastards. They continue to be ineffectual regulators, while contributing $800 million in compliance fees to Federal Government coffers.

3 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I returned to the UK 5 months ago with my family after living in Thailand for 9 years. We are all loving being back. We could have remained in Thailand as had enough of an income however the decision to move back was mostly due to immigration attitude and uncertainty what tomorrow might bring (having 6 police vehicles turn up at my house full of police did not help). Last October I started comparing prices and found UK was far cheaper for us. I hated driving in Thailand and now am enjoying driving. The quality of the food is far better here and I do not need to worry about slowly being poisoned and I'm even eating fish here. Utility bills were worrying me but at the moment I'm only paying £50 a month. I don't drive a 3lt suv so my costs are half what I was paying. So happy to be home. Obviously we miss friends and the sun but we have had far more barbecues here than in Thai (dengue twice kind of makes you think twice). Love Thailand shame what they have done to her since 2006. We will go there for holidays only. Oh clothes are cheaper here than Thailand it's unbelievable. 

Clothes cheaper there than here.....where were you shopping here? I can buy shorts for a hundred baht.....shirts for two hundred.....sandals for eight hundred......and I checked out M and S here, I won't be shopping there any time soon.

3 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I returned to the UK 5 months ago with my family after living in Thailand for 9 years. We are all loving being back. We could have remained in Thailand as had enough of an income however the decision to move back was mostly due to immigration attitude and uncertainty what tomorrow might bring (having 6 police vehicles turn up at my house full of police did not help). Last October I started comparing prices and found UK was far cheaper for us. I hated driving in Thailand and now am enjoying driving. The quality of the food is far better here and I do not need to worry about slowly being poisoned and I'm even eating fish here. Utility bills were worrying me but at the moment I'm only paying £50 a month. I don't drive a 3lt suv so my costs are half what I was paying. So happy to be home. Obviously we miss friends and the sun but we have had far more barbecues here than in Thai (dengue twice kind of makes you think twice). Love Thailand shame what they have done to her since 2006. We will go there for holidays only. Oh clothes are cheaper here than Thailand it's unbelievable. 

Aren't you comparing apples and pears in your shopping list?

Why do you think fish is less toxic in UK? Most is farmed just the same and plastic particles in fish is worldwide? 

4 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Yep. If you can get your own house the the UK is cheaper than Thailand in many ways. But UK nightlife is terrible and there is no girly scene. About 30 years ago whilst living in Thailand an old hand said to me: 'This place is a sh!thole. Only the girls make it tolerable..without them it would be pointless'. He had a point.

My Thai wife (who had lived in the US for many, many years and had obtained US citizenship) and I moved to Thailand to semi-retire in Jan 2015.  She wanted to be nearer her family, and l (having worked there for 4 years in the '90's) loved Thailand.  We rented for the first year and then we bought a house quite near her family.  I had no problems, played golf 3 times a week and enjoyed life.  My wife soon tired of living near her family and finally came to realize that no amount of money could purchase for them what they really needed: youth, ambition, honesty, and intelligence combined with education.  After 3.5 years, she said "Let's move back to the US!" in a forceful enough manner that I knew she was serious, and we departed Thailand for the US four years to the day after moving there.  We luckily were able to sell the house with just a small loss.  Now from here looking across, with all the immigration issues and changes in income verification, and the obvious affinity for China in the Thai government, coupled with a real question as to how we would be fixed for health care and related services if we really needed it in Thailand, we are both relieved we made the move back home.  Still, I miss those days playing golf with my ex-pat friends and enjoying life in Thai society. I felt very comfortable living there.  I still love Thailand and we will vacation there, just not live there on a permanent basis.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Could be many/most people do not go to Thailand for females , females exist in every Country in the World 

Not like Thai girls, attractive, young  fun, and uninbited, with excellent bedroom skills and more importantly....available. The P4P scene is dreadful in UK. For sexually active males Thailand is excellent holiday choice or retirement detination. But if you know of a better place let me know. Im all itchy ears!

2 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Bad example.

They want to go to UK because they come from your old colonies, they speak (a little) English and their loved ones are already there.

The French have exactly the same problem with those of their former colonies.

Nonsense. Morocco,  Tunisia,  Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya  Iran, Iraq are not ex British colonies. Those are the places most illegal immigrants are coming from. If Indians etc have relatives here they can settle in the UK quite easily.

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Yes because it was much better leaving it in the UK and watch it fall off a cliff

Nothing has fallen off any cliffs. Well Thailand I suppose.  Driven to hell in a handcart more like. Thats why the military goverment need our hard currency locked into the thai financial system.

6 hours ago, Scot123 said:

It's not hard when prices in Thailand keep going up contrary to what the government keep saying, the baht keeps rising against all foreign currencies, immigration rules keep changing on a whim (having to donate over £22,000 for 6 months to a Thai bank every year and donate over £11,000 to the bank as long as you live there) and always having the cloud above you that upsetting the wrong person can if lucky see you in prison but if unlucky not see you at all. Many many more reasons.... 

Really?

I don't donate over £22,000 for 6 months to a Thai bank every year and donate over £11,000 to the bank as long as I live here.

Why do/did you?

So far in some 25 years visiting, working  and living in Thailand I have never managed to upset the wrong person why would I be sent to prison but if unlucky not see you at all.

Perhaps the fact that I live in rural Thailand may account for it.

Prices are rising worldwide so that shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps, as I glean from your post, it is an attitude problem that you have and many other people including me don't seem to have.

15 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Not like Thai girls, attractive, young  fun, and uninbited, with excellent bedroom skills and more importantly....available. The P4P scene is dreadful in UK. For sexually active males Thailand is excellent holiday choice or retirement detination. But if you know of a better place let me know. Im all itchy ears!

Some of us got that out our system by the time we were 25 .

Jolly good show though , if you are still so interested at such an advanced age 

59 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Really?

I don't donate over £22,000 for 6 months to a Thai bank every year and donate over £11,000 to the bank as long as I live here.

Why do/did you?

So far in some 25 years visiting, working  and living in Thailand I have never managed to upset the wrong person why would I be sent to prison but if unlucky not see you at all.

Perhaps the fact that I live in rural Thailand may account for it.

Prices are rising worldwide so that shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps, as I glean from your post, it is an attitude problem that you have and many other people including me don't seem to have.

Attitude problem because I do not have the same rose coloured glasses as you? Do you have an extention as I'm thinking not. The new immigration rules which were brought in (around about February 2019 states you require "Retirement visa" 800,000baht in your bank account for 3 months before renewal and must remain for 3 months after renewal. You may use 400,000baht of this over the next 6 months but again 3 months prior to renewal 800,000baht has to be in your account. So if you are not doing this it begs the question why? (maybe you use an agent which is illegal so makes you a criminal) Maybe your just such an important person in your village you do not have to bother with these trivial things. As for the flippent remark about prices all over the world go up well not as fast as in Thailand and that is a fact. Before we left I started comparing prices between Thailand and the UK and its far more expensive in Thailand and by a long shot. I still do this every time we go shopping or buy clothes. It is so sad that what you buy in Thailand is junk now. I bought a house worth of furniture and was shocked at getting things like 12 year guarantees etc.... I almost forgot you should go and visit the poor Dutch guy and his Thai wife who will never see the light of day again as all their assets are gone so they can never be released (falsely inprisoned). I could tell you story after story about the expats who find themselves in prison through no fault of their own but hay your OK Jack. My experience of Thailand is more than village life, from diving instructor Kow tow to teacher in Bkk but hay only 17 years with 2 coups under my belt so I know nothing. OMFG!!!

44 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

The new immigration rules which were brought in (around about February 2019 states you require "Retirement visa" 800,000baht in your bank account for 3 months before renewal and must remain for 3 months after renewal. You may use 400,000baht of this over the next 6 months but again 3 months prior to renewal 800,000baht has to be in your account. So if you are not doing this it begs the question why?

In my personal case because I am Belgian. 

No money needed in a Thai bank, no 65000 needed to be transferred monthly to Thailand. 

Happy with this system since 2000.

Of course it can change tomorrow, hence the need to have a plan B, even C. 

And if you are American, Australian, British, things are not that easy. 

3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nonsense. Morocco,  Tunisia,  Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya  Iran, Iraq are not ex British colonies. Those are the places most illegal immigrants are coming from. If Indians etc have relatives here they can settle in the UK quite easily.

Strictly speaking, true. However Ethiopia, Libya, Iran and Iraq were all occupied by the UK for some periods during the 20th Century, leaving behind their language and a certain level of familiarity with UK culture. As a result, somewhat natural when you become a refugee that you would seek a country you know something about.

As for 'most' illegal immigrants coming from those countries, not true either. Most come from south of the Sahara, and the only countries that make the list for over 20,000 migrants are Iran, Iraq and Libya. Of course data is somewhat opaque and illegal migrants also become legal ones. The only non-European countries who make up the top 10 for migrants are India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nigeria. Libya is number 60 on the list.

8 hours ago, Mansell said:

Clothes cheaper there than here.....where were you shopping here? I can buy shorts for a hundred baht.....shirts for two hundred.....sandals for eight hundred......and I checked out M and S here, I won't be shopping there any time soon.

You can get that stuff for around half that if you shopped in Primark.

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

And if you are American, Australian, British, things are not that easy. 

I dunno, think I'd rather tough it out with the hassle than be one of those non-country Belgiums. :tongue:. Only joking, you guys do do beer pretty well. 

Ok UK despite ball-aching rules n regs and politics. Dunno about now, but you just cannot beat the ease of living in Muang Thai and associated quality of life (girls aside). Personally think driving in the UK sucks. Alright roads and motorways can't be beat, but elsewhere too many slow old duffers and twatish BMW tailgaters, and the profusion of roadworks (often closed for minor issues) is uncanny.

Of women, though not to drag the thread down, there does seem to be a hint of rotund, feminist entitlement. Let's face it, Asian women are just nicer, for the most part.

Of the thing that one is not to mention lest they be considered racist/insensitive/old fashioned etc, the PC inclusivity is incessant, unrelenting (esp TV ads) and extremely cringeworthy. Returnees will struggle to not notice.

Something is making them risk their lives and those of their families, to try and cross the Channel to the UK, when they are already safe in France.

regards worgeordie

I was replying to a poster who said to come to the UK as an illegal immigrant, because you get a free house, money from the government, a free pass for everything you need. I asked for evidence of this. Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Mansell said:

I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges when it comes to quality,

How much in LOS for a genuine pair of Armani jeans (£100 in UK) or a Jack Jones T-Shirt (picked them up for as little as £5 / < 200 THB in end of season (winter) sales, doesn't matter to me it's 28-34 all year round here so I try to buy my T-Shirts on winter trips to the UK).

Even getting stuff tailored made is no cheaper in Thailand anymore, a (genuine) Hugo Boss suit tailor fitted (OK, not quite tailored made but same-same) in the UK £350, Tailor made suit in Bangkok using the best quality material they had 13,500 THB (£360) - The Boss suit is head & shoulders better quality & a better fit (better cloth = a better drop). 

Oh and the quality of M&S suits for the price is outstanding (wore them for years when I worked in the UK & they lasted for years) 

Thailand is cheaper if you're buying replicas/imitation.no-brand "Wear it a few times then throw away" stuff, but I doubt any cheaper than the stuff you can get in Primark (I wouldn't know, have never shopped there), but is much more expensive for quality branded stuff that's going to last you for years.

Archived