How is life for 3 ex-Expats who have returned to UK?

webfact

I desperately want to leave and take my wife and children back to Aus. 

Weve spent a fortune here and at our age we arent going to have adequate funds to make a descent transition so just cant comfortably do it.

With constant neighbourly issues and corruption of local officials constantly making up stories and such i will probably be deported based on lies soon enough.

Not exaggerating, had police with machine guns search our house for illegal things a couple days ago just because im a farang, hate Thailand!

Been here for a few decades half my life now and regret not getting out sooner.

Will probably write a book about all the drama one day from abroad i reckon.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

I desperately want to leave and take my wife and children back to Aus. 

Weve spent a fortune here and at our age we arent going to have adequate funds to make a descent transition so just cant comfortably do it.

With constant neighbourly issues and corruption of local officials constantly making up stories and such i will probably be deported based on lies soon enough.

Not exaggerating, had police with machine guns search our house for illegal things a couple days ago just because im a farang, hate Thailand!

Been here for a few decades half my life now and regret not getting out sooner.

Will probably write a book about all the drama one day from abroad i reckon.

Are you the machete & jet-ski vandal in Pattaya perchance? ????

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

one of those non-country Belgiums.

A Mr.Farage expression is not something we, Belgians, consider as notable. 

However since always we live in a divided country (Flemish & Walloon). 

Apparently something Great Britain is encounter nowadays as well (Leavers & Remainers). 

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can sympathize with that, lost about quarter of a million (AUD ) to unlisted property trusts during the GFC.

My biggest beef is with ASIC, useless bastards. They continue to be ineffectual regulators, while contributing $800 million in compliance fees to Federal Government coffers.

Don't get me on the subject of those useless idiots at ASIC

58 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Seen quite a few "lardarses over here lately. What's the problem? Built for comfort not speed.

True. However, on percentage a lot lower. No problem, my preference is a cute butt, not one that overflows.

I have to admit for me I have to agree with Keith for point #1.

Moving back was stressful. I was making the same money but paying higher taxes and of course a higher cost of living. The "normal" lifestyle we had in Thailand suddenly became a luxury.

Work life balance is a big difference too. Here it's work, go home, sleep repeat.

And of course the winter...

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I returned to the UK 5 months ago with my family after living in Thailand for 9 years. We are all loving being back. We could have remained in Thailand as had enough of an income however the decision to move back was mostly due to immigration attitude and uncertainty what tomorrow might bring (having 6 police vehicles turn up at my house full of police did not help). Last October I started comparing prices and found UK was far cheaper for us. I hated driving in Thailand and now am enjoying driving. The quality of the food is far better here and I do not need to worry about slowly being poisoned and I'm even eating fish here. Utility bills were worrying me but at the moment I'm only paying £50 a month. I don't drive a 3lt suv so my costs are half what I was paying. So happy to be home. Obviously we miss friends and the sun but we have had far more barbecues here than in Thai (dengue twice kind of makes you think twice). Love Thailand shame what they have done to her since 2006. We will go there for holidays only. Oh clothes are cheaper here than Thailand it's unbelievable. 

Hi Scott ,

Which part of the UK do you live now ?  

I have a house in the Hampshire and visit at least once or twice a year . There is no doubt that the UK has changed a lot regarding the multi culturalism which would be obvious after a 9 year absence . I agree with you on the cost of living especially food where there are the smaller supermarkets e.g.  , Lidls ,   Morrisons ,Aldi completing with the big boys and driving down prices . Beer & wine & spirits much cheaper than Thailand and a big selection .  Cars are cheap especially used but insurance / car tax  has to be factored in . Utility bills can be scary , doctors appointments can take 2 or 3 weeks for non urgent cases . Education at a much higher level than Thailand . Entertainment , TV etc, spoiled for choice in the UK . 

Downside has to be the weather with winter & autumn dragging on for 7 or 8 months .  Overall I think it is unfair to compare 3rd world  Thailand to the UK because one mans meat is another mans poison . I just wish I could tolerate the blistering heat here starting March and onward . I am now considering spending 3 months here and same in the UK repeating . Might have a spell in Vietnam as I am curious about good reports I read on this forum .

Good luck for you and your family in the UK

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Could be many/most people do not go to Thailand for females , females exist in every Country in the World 

You can't be serious! how funny. Thailand (and possibly Philippines) are the cheap sex centers of the world.

Many come here (forgive the pun) because you can openly find a bar scene in every city, try that in most other countries. Even if your 'pure heart' doesn't like it THAT is the truth  LOL.

12 hours ago, luckyluke said:

In my personal case because I am Belgian. 

No money needed in a Thai bank, no 65000 needed to be transferred monthly to Thailand. 

Happy with this system since 2000.

Of course it can change tomorrow, hence the need to have a plan B, even C. 

And byif you are American, Australian, British, things are not that easy. 

Wow. I am so surprised and its true what they say you live and learn. I did not know Belgium have special dispensation with Thailand. Having to do my annual extentions were very stressful: photos of my wife, our 2 children and myself sitting on our bed and in front of our house, 6 months Bank statements plus bank book showing the required foreign currency going into the bank a letter from the embassy stating pension from the UK which is no longer given. There were 2 straws that broke the camels back for me 1st 6 police vehicles turning up at my house full of police to check my status and October 2018 when I went to immigration to check changes in rules and the girl said to me "Its only 800,000baht". However this is about the differences in living back home and Thailand. I personally did not have to leave Thailand because I could not afford to stay but because of as you correctly put it things can change and uncertainty is no way to live. The thing that worried me is the cloud hanging in the distance about compulsory health care (I would not qualify or would be so expensive). I checked out the cost of living in the UK and Thailand and in many cases I was shocked at the tables having turned and UK had become cheaper. What shocked me the most was clothes in the UK now cheaper than Thailand and food. We are very happy as a family we are now back in the UK. 

14 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Attitude problem because I do not have the same rose coloured glasses as you? Do you have an extention as I'm thinking not. The new immigration rules which were brought in (around about February 2019 states you require "Retirement visa" 800,000baht in your bank account for 3 months before renewal and must remain for 3 months after renewal. You may use 400,000baht of this over the next 6 months but again 3 months prior to renewal 800,000baht has to be in your account. So if you are not doing this it begs the question why? (maybe you use an agent which is illegal so makes you a criminal) Maybe your just such an important person in your village you do not have to bother with these trivial things. As for the flippent remark about prices all over the world go up well not as fast as in Thailand and that is a fact. Before we left I started comparing prices between Thailand and the UK and its far more expensive in Thailand and by a long shot. I still do this every time we go shopping or buy clothes. It is so sad that what you buy in Thailand is junk now. I bought a house worth of furniture and was shocked at getting things like 12 year guarantees etc.... I almost forgot you should go and visit the poor Dutch guy and his Thai wife who will never see the light of day again as all their assets are gone so they can never be released (falsely inprisoned). I could tell you story after story about the expats who find themselves in prison through no fault of their own but hay your OK Jack. My experience of Thailand is more than village life, from diving instructor Kow tow to teacher in Bkk but hay only 17 years with 2 coups under my belt so I know nothing. OMFG!!!

Well done for getting my name correct. As for the rest you have no idea of who I am, whether I have an extension or not (FYI, yes I do for the tenth year in a row).

The new Immigration rules actually were promulgated in December 2018 and became effective in January 2019,

quote from your post. "You are correct that 800,000 for a retirement extension and 400,000 for a marriage extension. You omitted to mention that an extension may also be granted on income alone.

So if you are not doing this it begs the question why? (maybe you use an agent which is illegal so makes you a criminal).

You now believe that I am a criminal? You assume this without knowing anything about me, without knowledge of the Immigration laws, without proof.

quote"My experience of Thailand is more than village life, from diving instructor Kow tow to teacher in Bkk but hay only 17 years with 2 coups under my belt so I know nothing. OMFG!!!"

My experience of working in Thailand is obviously less impressive that yours and I only have village life to rely on. Apart from 7 years working with Motorola , AIS and DTAC building and integrating 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation cellular systems in Issan, BKK and the Eastern seaboard. A job incidentally I have done in some 30 different countries stretching back to my first trip here in 1993.

Yes I also have been in Thailand for 2 coups and also for the 1997 Tom yam gung financial crash.

quote"but hay only 17 years with 2 coups under my belt so I know nothing. OMFG!!!"

I have to agree with you on your last line.

Sorry to have burst your bubble of how long you have been here, how much you know about Immigration laws and the really hard working jobs you have done.

My overall impression of your post is 3/10. Must try harder and do some research before you post.

Also never call anyone a criminal unless you have the proof and can back it up.

It seems from post #74 and #79 you don't even live in Thailand any more. Why does that not surprise me.

22 hours ago, Scot123 said:
I returned to the UK 5 months ago with my family after living in Thailand for 9 years. We are all loving being back.

48 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I did not know Belgium have special dispensation with Thailand.

Thailand made special regulations for America, Australia and Great Britain, as the embassies of these 3 countries didn't/don't issue Letter of Income/Affidavit for their citizens anymore. 

For the rest of the world there is still the possibility to obtain an extension based on income in home country. 

So far. 

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Well done for getting my name correct. As for the rest you have no idea of who I am, whether I have an extension or not (FYI, yes I do for the tenth year in a row).

The new Immigration rules actually were promulgated in December 2018 and became effective in January 2019,

quote from your post. "You are correct that 800,000 for a retirement extension and 400,000 for a marriage extension. You omitted to mention that an extension may also be granted on income alone.

So if you are not doing this it begs the question why? (maybe you use an agent which is illegal so makes you a criminal).

You now believe that I am a criminal? You assume this without knowing anything about me, without knowledge of the Immigration laws, without proof.

quote"My experience of Thailand is more than village life, from diving instructor Kow tow to teacher in Bkk but hay only 17 years with 2 coups under my belt so I know nothing. OMFG!!!"

My experience of working in Thailand is obviously less impressive that yours and I only have village life to rely on. Apart from 7 years working with Motorola , AIS and DTAC building and integrating 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation cellular systems in Issan, BKK and the Eastern seaboard. A job incidentally I have done in some 30 different countries stretching back to my first trip here in 1993.

Yes I also have been in Thailand for 2 coups and also for the 1997 Tom yam gung financial crash.

quote"but hay only 17 years with 2 coups under my belt so I know nothing. OMFG!!!"

I have to agree with you on your last line.

Sorry to have burst your bubble of how long you have been here, how much you know about Immigration laws and the really hard working jobs you have done.

My overall impression of your post is 3/10. Must try harder and do some research before you post.

Also never call anyone a criminal unless you have the proof and can back it up.

It seems from post #74 and #79 you don't even live in Thailand any more. Why does that not surprise me.

22 hours ago, Scot123 said:
I returned to the UK 5 months ago with my family after living in Thailand for 9 years. We are all loving being back.

Wow! The whole post is about expats who left Thailand and returned home. Actually I was as much as you can be familiar with immigration rules considering  in October the dust had not settled about embassies telling Thai immigration to wind their necks in about verifying income letters (unlike many on here I never once blamed the British embassy over this issue). Fact in October I went to the immigration office to check on the rules so please wind your neck in. I quoted their answer "only 800,000baht". It was my wife who told me to check 

As we were about to start building a large extension in a couple of days. It was you who said you did not have to do anything ie have 800,000/400,000baht in your account etc.... This was surprising to me as its the rules.  Now yes they did bring out later that bank account history could be used but that was not the case for 3 months. Again fact!!! Now back to topic which being one of the expats who moved back home which is what the post is about I am in a very good position to make valid remarks. Yes you do not know who I am as well so please do not tell me to research before I post a Comment!!! It's about expats moving back to their own countries which I have done and you have not! As for your 30 different countries so what the post is about leaving Thailand and moving back home again which I with my family have done. Do you realise how stupid your remarks are. Keep on subject. Once and a while take off the rose coloured glasses. Oh I've been in quite a few countries but that was mostly with the military. 

24 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Wow! The whole post is about expats who left Thailand and returned home. Actually I was as much as you can be familiar with immigration rules considering  in October the dust had not settled about embassies telling Thai immigration to wind their necks in about verifying income letters (unlike many on here I never once blamed the British embassy over this issue). Fact in October I went to the immigration office to check on the rules so please wind your neck in. I quoted their answer "only 800,000baht". It was my wife who told me to check 

As we were about to start building a large extension in a couple of days. It was you who said you did not have to do anything ie have 800,000/400,000baht in your account etc.... This was surprising to me as its the rules.  Now yes they did bring out later that bank account history could be used but that was not the case for 3 months. Again fact!!! Now back to topic which being one of the expats who moved back home which is what the post is about I am in a very good position to make valid remarks. Yes you do not know who I am as well so please do not tell me to research before I post a Comment!!! It's about expats moving back to their own countries which I have done and you have not! As for your 30 different countries so what the post is about leaving Thailand and moving back home again which I with my family have done. Do you realise how stupid your remarks are. Keep on subject. Once and a while take off the rose coloured glasses. Oh I've been in quite a few countries but that was mostly with the military. 

You originally posted something that was not correct so I tried to explain that you were wrong.

Do you realise how stupid your remarks are to me.

I served in the RAF for 25 years from 1960 to 1984 before retiring to the UK from to 1988. I then worked for Vodafone for a year of 70 working hour weeks. Quit them for Motorola and worked 3 years in the UK before working with the international group for 7 years before I quit and went contracting off shore from 1999 to 2009.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, BobBKK said:

No one misses the girls? wow! that's the main reason most come here but I guess most have taken there's back with them (good luck with that!).

"Most" may be a statistical measure.  But there are many expats, many of whom married Thai ladies that just ended up staying or still stay in Thailand.  Not everybody is a bar boozer and Soi 6 or Walking Street lover.  The daily foot massages alone and just being able to walk around and see things is a huge draw for me.  Not looking for a wife, not  looking to set any sex records either

Go and live in my old home town and see for yourself.i kid you not,but you will never want to see.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Where's your home town? I replied to a poster who said illegal immigrants get a house, they actually don't.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, BobBKK said:

You can't be serious! how funny. Thailand (and possibly Philippines) are the cheap sex centers of the world.

Many come here (forgive the pun) because you can openly find a bar scene in every city, try that in most other countries. Even if your 'pure heart' doesn't like it THAT is the truth  LOL.

not denying that , my point was that most people dont come for that .

On 9/11/2019 at 5:00 PM, BobBKK said:

Hmmm not for me I love it! and my friends, even most of those who are married. Who wants Pizza everyday?  variety is the spice of life so enjoy!

Yes , you still enjoy indulging in prostitution , others either never did , dont anymore , or still do

I'm currently lining up my UK ducks after yonks in LOS
here's a coffee break scrible.

friends with provenance
common sense everywhere
sunny/rainy/breezy
weather is fresh 
negligible pollution 
windows open
fewer insects
service people/staff are keen
local government have civility &
know what they are doing
bus pass/library /eye tests etc.etc    free or discounted to pensioners 
choice of public transport everywhere with helpful employees
no mass of mopeds everywhere in the city
pedestrian areas 
parks
leisure walks 
beach walks with   
absolutely minimal plastic washed up
pavements clean
controlled dogs
live football timing agrees with my bodyclock
long evenings + early mornings
bookies everywhere
lots of gamblers
sweet fresh water from the tap
real newspapers
carpets and wooden floors 
reading sunday paper on the carpet
no more infantile chat  
use my own accent 
my local area I always meet an old harigold
conversation with people you don't know comes naturally
most people take care of their reputation as they 
have friends and family to answer to
no smoking means.... 
red light means.... 
parking ticket means.........
not so many smiles  ....but they're genuine
our police really are wonderful no bribery required
police do know the difference between good and bad people
UK barmaids doing their job without tips  
shops and businesses are open AM
people that can walk and chew gum at the same time
coffee bars open early AM
great diverse selection of beer 
great pints at normal prices (witherspoons 74baht for a real ale)
natural blondes
yoga pants 
too much much makeup
fat asses 
bad teeth
good banter/patter
many people on disability
lots of blokes with NHS walking sticks 
haircuts expensive but you still get asked about your holidays
having to do my own manicure/pedicure
things just appear to make sense. 
home is where you want it to be.
I'm looking forward to my retirement there.

slavesmile.jpg

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

not denying that , my point was that most people dont come for that .

You think most people do not come for the girls (or boys)?  seriously?  all those old farangs with their young 'new loves'? let alone the ones who 'scatter the seed'?  you are entitled to your opinion, of course, but this bucket does not hold water.

Archived