BANGKOK
webfact

How is life for 3 ex-Expats who have returned to UK?

11 hours ago, Mansell said:

Clothes cheaper there than here.....where were you shopping here? I can buy shorts for a hundred baht.....shirts for two hundred.....sandals for eight hundred......and I checked out M and S here, I won't be shopping there any time soon.

I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges when it comes to quality,

How much in LOS for a genuine pair of Armani jeans (£100 in UK) or a Jack Jones T-Shirt (picked them up for as little as £5 / < 200 THB in end of season (winter) sales, doesn't matter to me it's 28-34 all year round here so I try to buy my T-Shirts on winter trips to the UK).

Even getting stuff tailored made is no cheaper in Thailand anymore, a (genuine) Hugo Boss suit tailor fitted (OK, not quite tailored made but same-same) in the UK £350, Tailor made suit in Bangkok using the best quality material they had 13,500 THB (£360) - The Boss suit is head & shoulders better quality & a better fit (better cloth = a better drop). 

Oh and the quality of M&S suits for the price is outstanding (wore them for years when I worked in the UK & they lasted for years) 

Thailand is cheaper if you're buying replicas/imitation.no-brand "Wear it a few times then throw away" stuff, but I doubt any cheaper than the stuff you can get in Primark (I wouldn't know, have never shopped there), but is much more expensive for quality branded stuff that's going to last you for years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

had police with machine guns

?

15 hours ago, rtco said:

I wish ... not seen anything yet

Ditto. Not a bean 😞

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

one of those non-country Belgiums.

A Mr.Farage expression is not something we, Belgians, consider as notable. 

However since always we live in a divided country (Flemish & Walloon). 

Apparently something Great Britain is encounter nowadays as well (Leavers & Remainers). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes they do. The difference is, many in Western countries are complete lardasses, backed by a legal system that favours them.

Seen quite a few "lardarses over here lately. What's the problem? Built for comfort not speed.

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can sympathize with that, lost about quarter of a million (AUD ) to unlisted property trusts during the GFC.

My biggest beef is with ASIC, useless bastards. They continue to be ineffectual regulators, while contributing $800 million in compliance fees to Federal Government coffers.

Don't get me on the subject of those useless idiots at ASIC

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Seen quite a few "lardarses over here lately. What's the problem? Built for comfort not speed.

True. However, on percentage a lot lower. No problem, my preference is a cute butt, not one that overflows.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sanemax said:

Could be many/most people do not go to Thailand for females , females exist in every Country in the World 

yes they do and have you seen them 5555555555555555555555 

Edited by Tomahawk21

12 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

yes they do and have you seen them 5555555555555555555555 

Thai girls are young , pretty , slim and horny and girls from every other country are old, fat , ugly and frigid and thats why men go to Thailand for prostitution 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thai girls are young , pretty , slim and horny and girls from every other country are old, fat , ugly and frigid and thats why men go to Thailand for prostitution 

i agree with you 100% 👍

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I returned to the UK 5 months ago with my family after living in Thailand for 9 years. We are all loving being back. We could have remained in Thailand as had enough of an income however the decision to move back was mostly due to immigration attitude and uncertainty what tomorrow might bring (having 6 police vehicles turn up at my house full of police did not help). Last October I started comparing prices and found UK was far cheaper for us. I hated driving in Thailand and now am enjoying driving. The quality of the food is far better here and I do not need to worry about slowly being poisoned and I'm even eating fish here. Utility bills were worrying me but at the moment I'm only paying £50 a month. I don't drive a 3lt suv so my costs are half what I was paying. So happy to be home. Obviously we miss friends and the sun but we have had far more barbecues here than in Thai (dengue twice kind of makes you think twice). Love Thailand shame what they have done to her since 2006. We will go there for holidays only. Oh clothes are cheaper here than Thailand it's unbelievable. 

Hi Scott ,

Which part of the UK do you live now ?  

I have a house in the Hampshire and visit at least once or twice a year . There is no doubt that the UK has changed a lot regarding the multi culturalism which would be obvious after a 9 year absence . I agree with you on the cost of living especially food where there are the smaller supermarkets e.g.  , Lidls ,   Morrisons ,Aldi completing with the big boys and driving down prices . Beer & wine & spirits much cheaper than Thailand and a big selection .  Cars are cheap especially used but insurance / car tax  has to be factored in . Utility bills can be scary , doctors appointments can take 2 or 3 weeks for non urgent cases . Education at a much higher level than Thailand . Entertainment , TV etc, spoiled for choice in the UK . 

Downside has to be the weather with winter & autumn dragging on for 7 or 8 months .  Overall I think it is unfair to compare 3rd world  Thailand to the UK because one mans meat is another mans poison . I just wish I could tolerate the blistering heat here starting March and onward . I am now considering spending 3 months here and same in the UK repeating . Might have a spell in Vietnam as I am curious about good reports I read on this forum .

Good luck for you and your family in the UK

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HHTel said:

Really?  What a small world you live in!

Oh really?  you have a Thai wife?  GF?  you came here for the temples right?  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1