BANGKOK
webfact

Bangkok: Returning sidewalks to pedestrians - 508 areas done, 175 to go by year's end

The people that will complain about the removal of food & clothing vendors off the sidewalks will be the tourists who aren’ here long enough to realize the frustration of walking somewhere within a time limit.  I have been to other SE countries that will block off side streets or rent out parking ramp space in the evening for food vendors to set up.- Day time food vendors are important to the local city workers and finding space for them in the day time is more of a challenge.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Actually it took a long concerted again and again effort to get the vendors out and with quite some punishment. e.g. one big brave fake watch venor had a long table (nearly 2 metres long and 1.5 metres wide loaded with probably a couple of thousand fake watches, he refused to move nd to stop blocking the footpath until 2 or 3 times the army arrives with a very big tray truck and perhaps 20 soldiers, they just moved in quickly, no discussion whatever, many soldiers and just picked up the big table ran it to the kerb, hoisted it up high and on the command threw the table and watches on the truck, soldiers scramble / help each other to get on the army and truck, table, watches and soldiers all quickly gone into the traffic. 

And the army and police did keep this region monitored regularly for maybe 2 years, but now all happening again. 

For a while this also caused much friction between the mafia who demand payments from footpath vendors and the vendors when it was clear the mafia were frightened of the army and cops.

One funny incident, the tough footpath mafia lady tried to show how big and brave she was by going into a bigger 7/11 store and demanding they pay her 'protection fees' on the spot or she she would get her gang to come and destroy the inside of the store. 7/11 manager called an emergency number and within a couple of minutes a busload of thugs arrived and beat her up and dragged her away in handcuffs. 

It is always fun to see a mafia thug beaten up by the authorities. Wish I had a tape of that. Would watch it over and over again. Nice to hear about the army doing something productive for society. Amazing actually. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulbrow said:

Based on the other comments, I'm confident this response will be unpopular, but, frankly, I miss the vendors. I think they could have been a bit better controlled, meaning being on only one side of the sidewalk rather than both sides. But for me they were a distinct part of Thailand that are now gone. Spent a lot of money on things I didn't need but certainly enjoyed the ease to do so.

The problem is for many its all or nothing.. they wont let themselves be controlled. They brought this upon themselves. Had they let some room open and so on things would have been different just like on beaches.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

The footpaths were cleared for the Thais

Yes, they really like to walk, but only if there's food to buy on the sidewalks.

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, they really like to walk, but only if there's food to buy on the sidewalks.

food carts are still plentiful outside of 7/11s and the entrances of large buildings for lunch. They were not the problem

6 hours ago, madmen said:

food carts are still plentiful outside of 7/11s and the entrances of large buildings for lunch. They were not the problem

I always believed if you buy a townhouse then your property extends to the white line in the middle of the road. 😀