Video: Just another day of "road rage" madness on the Thai roads

webfact

Video: Just another day of "road rage" madness on the Thai roads

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Comment was rife on Thai social media after a series of clips were posted on Facebook and "Hear Khap Rot" (Water Monitors on Wheels) depicting parts of a road rage incident. 

The clips have become known as "The Pajero Clip" named after the star of the show, a Mitsubishi Pajero.

In footage that wasn't posted the car filming cut in front of the Pajero. The girlfriend of the poster who was driving apologized but the Pajero driver gave a foul mouth rant. 

Later at the Thap Chang toll booth the Pajero continued to play a cat and mouse game cutting in front of the other vehicle. At one point he got out again and was told to move on by the authorities. 

On the expressway on the way to Bang Na he deliberately cut in front again and slammed on the breaks resulting in a collision. 

The warring parties could not agree terms with their insurance companies and the matter is now in the hands of Prawet police, reported Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-11

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the end of this video is a good example of how Thais focus and react while driving. 

even when they know something unusual is happening there is that period of time where they just "blank out" at the critical moment.

I'm yet to see someone stop and let the other party carry on their merry way. At these speeds I guess a bit difficult but the vids I see on the freeway both parties just try to outrace each other

21 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I'm yet to see someone stop and let the other party carry on their merry way. At these speeds I guess a bit difficult but the vids I see on the freeway both parties just try to outrace each other

It happened to me once.

On the highway from Hua Hin to Bangkok a car cut me up, so close I don't know how he didn't clip me. I hit the horn ! (not long, but a 1 second blast - my mistake). 

The ego in front didn't like that, slammed on his brakes. I stopped in time, luckily so did the cars behind. 

I changed lanes, the car in front changed, he blocked me for about 5km, the more I slowed behind him, the more he slowed in front of me. 

I considered stopping, but doing so he may have gotten out of his car and I would have been forced to escalate.. i.e. drive off and have him chasing me again, or just run the tool over (if he was going to walk towards me). 

As I played all the possible scenarios in my mind there was no 'win' without damaging my car, my family were with me. I was ready to drive over the guy to protect my family, but only if it came to that. 

The only thing to do was to remain behind him, let him have his 'ego win' and just stay behind him until he got bored and drove off. 

I caught all on Dash-cam, considered sending the footage to some friends in the BiB and have him 'dealt with', but ultimately by the time I'd got home I couldn't be bothered - dI<k heads on Thailands roads is certainly no rarity. 

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It happened to me once.

On the highway from Hua Hin to Bangkok a car cut me up, so close I don't know how he didn't clip me. I hit the horn ! (not long, but a 1 second blast - my mistake). 

The ego in front didn't like that, slammed on his brakes. I stopped in time, luckily so did the cars behind. 

I changed lanes, the car in front changed, he blocked me for about 5km, the more I slowed behind him, the more he slowed in front of me. 

I considered stopping, but doing so he may have gotten out of his car and I would have been forced to escalate.. i.e. drive off and have him chasing me again, or just run the tool over (if he was going to walk towards me). 

As I played all the possible scenarios in my mind there was no 'win' without damaging my car, my family were with me. I was ready to drive over the guy to protect my family, but only if it came to that. 

The only thing to do was to remain behind him, let him have his 'ego win' and just stay behind him until he got bored and drove off. 

I caught all on Dash-cam, considered sending the footage to some friends in the BiB and have him 'dealt with', but ultimately by the time I'd got home I couldn't be bothered - dI<k heads on Thailands roads is certainly no rarity. 

The same happened to me on the motorway between Pattaya and Bangkok. Every time "something" happens, I save the file from my dashcam to the cloud. Just in case. Over the years, that's many files!

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It happened to me once.

Thanks for sharing your story mate, what a nightmare. I’m yet to be involved in something like this, touch wood. 

Good to hear first hand that stopping doesn’t necessarily work ????

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

the end of this video is a good example of how Thais focus and react while driving. 

even when they know something unusual is happening there is that period of time where they just "blank out" at the critical moment.

I thought, regardless of what is happening, most Thai drivers blank out ALL the time. Except when they are checking Line messages or the number of Facebook 'likes' on their smartphones.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

From what I have read, and heard, it seems Malaysia is 'same same' when it comes to di<kheads on roads. There was a recent case where a small fender-bender resulted in physical altercation. This led to one guy getting back into his car, driving into the other and killing him. Of course the first guy got caught, and I think he will be charged with murder. If I am not mistaken, in Malaysia, murder comes with the death penalty.

They could've just got down, behaved like civilised and matured men, shook hands and drove back to their own familes and loved ones, and cooled down over a few cold beers. Or whatever it is they drink. Or eat. Or smoke. Right now, none of them will ever get to see that day ever again.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It happened to me once.

yes best thing to do is always stay behind or park on the side. Never try to outrun or get ahead as these nut heads will just overtake you again. Once these nut heads know you are not going to play cat and mouse with them, they usually just drive off. Those that want to talk will get off and have a word, but majority won't be bother to unless you <deleted> them off first (other than honking).

something very similar happened to me on Route 36 between pattaya and rayong. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera on at the time but we were nearly stopped on the road with me behind him until he got just enough ahead of me that I was able to race off onto a side road where he couldn't catch me because he couldn't back up to get on it.

While Chiang Mai can be criticised for the air quality, I have yet to see a road rage incident in six years driving a car here. I drive defensively anyway.

If someone wants to kill themselves by driving like an idiot, far be it from me to obstruct them in any way.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I would put it down to brake failure - that old chestnut normally works

When we lived in Thailand taking my children 15km to school and picking them up each day would see about 6 people try and kill me or commit suicide. I hated driving there ad we had to be so careful on our motorbikes (as Thais say Big Bikes). Love driving back in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

The same happened to me on the motorway between Pattaya and Bangkok. Every time "something" happens, I save the file from my dashcam to the cloud. Just in case. Over the years, that's many files!

I think you could start deleting some of them. It's really only the 5 minutes before and after an incident you need.

23 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I think you could start deleting some of them. It's really only the 5 minutes before and after an incident you need.

Yes indeed. I only save the files with incidents + really close calls. But no accident. Each video file is 3 minutes in length. Many files in 10 years, and counting!

really had to laugh that the source went to the efforts of fuzzing out the perp's numberplate! 

4214.jpg.01305eda15aa5875c1a8800a6a7124da.jpg 

idiot deserves maximum exposure 

at least there's the hope the bib have since darkened his doorstep?

he can run but he cannot hide

Difficult situation. No matter how hard  it is ‘don’t be reactive’!!! Other than to avoid. I just don’t react drive straight if not cut off, if cut off, slow down gently a tiny bit at a time get passenger to call RTP (for what it’s worth lol ????)

try to let others pass and get behind one of them and follow that car like glue.

don’t look at the nutjob unless they come at you outside of the car.

dont stop and get out ..

Poor driver cause it’s made harder being on a damn freeway !

get off the road onto another as quick as you can without telegraphing your exit.

if you know the area drive to the cop shop or a courthouse , with your camera footage.

stopping on thai or any freeway is very dangerous so maybe not do that.

i knew a fella when I was younger (had an old car) and this other guy got all hot n started harassing him on the road, my buddy just went by the guy n totally sideswiped him deliberately then when the guy stopped in total disbelief he stopped and backed up ramming his front end in haha. Then waved smiling and drive home ???? 

yes, having spacial awareness, and knowing where the copshops are! 

because the twerp will be glued to his rearvision mirrors, he would be easy meat to be tricked to steer wherever you 'hint' you are going to go... 

with plenty of your blinkers, slowing etc - as seen in his mirrors; he'll dumbly precede your exit from the freeway... and unknowingly 'lead' you to the copshop.

- like a sheepdog pre-empting a sheep herd's movements, to the desired fence gate

48 minutes ago, tifino said:

really had to laugh that the source went to the efforts of fuzzing out the perp's numberplate! 

4214.jpg.01305eda15aa5875c1a8800a6a7124da.jpg 

idiot deserves maximum exposure 

at least there's the hope the bib have since darkened his doorstep?

he can run but he cannot hide

I doubt it. Police don't seem to do anything until someone dies. Very sad really. There's no law enforcement to speak of here - even less so if one is wealthy and / or connected. 

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

erratum; blanked out all the time

Archived