Chiang Mai: Noodles for just 5 baht a bowl causes much mirth

webfact

Chiang Mai: Noodles for just 5 baht a bowl causes much mirth

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that a new noodle stall in Chiang Mai was offering a nutritious meal for just 5 baht. 

They said that these were testing economic times that have seen the price of street food in the north rise from 40 baht to 50 baht on average.

Even the price of sticky rice was going through the roof creating hardship for the people. 

Forty six year old Ketkanda Wansuan's noodle stall is bucking the trend. She went online to say that students and school children could get a meal for just 5 baht. 

She said that she had been selling in the market but business went down the drain resulting in a move to a new location.

Her and her husband's first day of operation on Saturday was nothing out of the ordinary. But as word spread online by day two the couple were inundated going through 20 kilos of noodles. 

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Some people were ordering 10 bowls at a time.

The shop is on the inbound section of the Fang to Chiang Mai Road in Mae Rim - it is located near the Rajabhat University.

Daily News did not say if the offer is limited in duration though it appears to only be available to students and school children at the moment. 

They said that the story was causing a lot of laughs on Chiang Mai social media. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-11

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Some people were ordering 10 bowls at a time.

Not sure if this was done by adults or kids. If by adults, I hope they paid regular price.

The problem with kindhearted gestures and displays of generosity like these is, they are always being taken advantage of. An inconsiderate and unscrupulous git could get a kid to buy 10 - 20 portions, so the rest of the family can have a filling meal at 5 baht per order! And this particular family may not necessarily be poor! Ketkanda should limit take-aways to two portions per kid. Eat all you can (for kids) when you sit in.

When I first came to Chiang Mai there was place we called three baht noodles. They went up to five baht around 2010. They always did a roaring business. We often had to wait to get a seat.

The gimmick was the noodles were 5 baht a bowl, but of course the servings were tiny. It was nothing to eat five or six bowls. Most people just dumped 3 or 4 bowls together to clear up space on the table.

I wonder if this is the same people or not. I haven't been there for many years now.

It was really good though.

It is actually a smart play. Maybe they break even, or lose a bit, but the exposure is priceless, and many parents will pay the full price, because their kid gets the cheap bowl. And if the experiment does not pan out, they sunset the deal and all is good, while still banking all the free publicity.

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Used to be a place in CM that sold them for 3 baht. I believe it is still there but not sure on their price as of today. Used to eat there now and then with the family as was actually pretty tasty.

so you take the family out for a special dinner once a week and the bill is 12 baht ….  

Boat noodles are often sold at very low pricing. But, the bowls are usually accordingly small. It is typical for people to by a few bowls

There is a shop, next to the Bangson MRT station, that sells 12 baht boat noodles, the everyday, everybody price. For a while, they even had a "Buy 5 - 1 free" promotion.

At the Henry Dunant end of Siam Square, there is an 18 baht boat noodle shop. They also declare "No MSG". 

iu.jpeg

1 minute ago, Curt1591 said:

Boat noodles are often sold at very low pricing. But, the bowls are usually accordingly small. It is typical for people to by a few bowls

There is a shop, next to the Bangson MRT station, that sells 12 baht boat noodles, the everyday, everybody price. For a while, they even had a "Buy 5 - 1 free" promotion.

At the Henry Dunant end of Siam Square, there is an 18 baht boat noodle shop. They also declare "No MSG". 

I'm not paying 12 baht for one bowl … that's a rip off   !

On 9/11/2019 at 12:32 AM, outsider said:

Not sure if this was done by adults or kids. If by adults, I hope they paid regular price.

The problem with kindhearted gestures and displays of generosity like these is, they are always being taken advantage of. An inconsiderate and unscrupulous git could get a kid to buy 10 - 20 portions, so the rest of the family can have a filling meal at 5 baht per order! And this particular family may not necessarily be poor! Ketkanda should limit take-aways to two portions per kid. Eat all you can (for kids) when you sit in.

You serious?

On 9/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, bluesofa said:

He must be pretty dry by now, judging by the amount of noodles they've sold.

Perhaps he's roped in some friends to help out with the supply?

Nonono, they moved to Pattaya, the noodle stall run by the three ladyboys. I hear they get a lot of help from fellow ladyboys.

Archived