Plastic bags: No more from the start of 2021

webfact

23 hours ago, fforest1 said:

So every one will need to carry a bag with them at all times now....Never know when you want to go shopping......

Exactly. I've carried three with me at all times for years and years.

All together they are extremely heavy and I'm very buffed from carrying them.  /sarc

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, stubby52 said:

And Australia only achieved this around 18mths ago lets hope Thailands neighbours do the same.

Huh - and it's not working in Australia. Cole, Woolworth's, Aldi sell their reusable bags for 15 cents. They are very tough and durable. So what does everyone do when a little hole develops in the bag. They use it like the single use bags, and put the food scraps in. Unlike the thin single use bags, these will take 10 times longer to disintergrate in the oceans. And lets not forget people are now, as a result, buying more garbage bags. Brilliant !! NOT.

3 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Thailand may be becoming a hellhole, but sure not, if someone actually wants to make some sensible ecological choices (and we will see, if it ever really happnes)!

But I tooooootally get your point!

These dictatorial pigs, who make you bring YOUR OWN BAG, when you go shopping!

Could life get any worse?

Yes indeed . The pigs might, just might impose a surcharge for bringing your bags back - because you are not buying new ones. The Thais are very resourceful at extracting money mr sarcastic.

Plastic bags were welcomed as an environmentally friendly way to save the trees then being harvested to make paper bags. So we don't want to go back to using paper. Best available choice is hemp. Charge 10 baht per bag if you didn't bring your own, but when you accumulate excess bags they can be returned to any 7-11 for reprocessing and a refund of 5 baht per bag.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:46 PM, ezzra said:

Like someone said already, it will be hard to implement without a viable, working alternatives, education the people that this is a must do and not a choice, all in all, i personally don't see it happening without a lot of discontent and grumblings...

How can you have a metal straw. Straw is the hollow shaft of corn when its dried.

51 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Yes indeed . The pigs might, just might impose a surcharge for bringing your bags back - because you are not buying new ones. The Thais are very resourceful at extracting money mr sarcastic.

3 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Thailand may be becoming a hellhole, but sure not, if someone actually wants to make some sensible ecological choices (and we will see, if it ever really happnes)!

Yes indeed - you have now slipped in my estimation from saint nick to saint plick.

Like someone said already, it will be hard to implement without a viable, working alternatives, education the people that this is a must do and not a choice, all in all, i personally don't see it happening without a lot of discontent and grumblings...

No problem, do what one did before plastic came into use. I carry with me a fold away cloth bag .

No problem for people who were around before plastic bags came into use.

45 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Yes indeed - you have now slipped in my estimation from saint nick to saint plick.

I guess, I will survive that!

At least, I am trying to do my part for the environment and don't whine about a "nanny state", if someone WOULD actually implement sensible measures!

The tesco down the road from us has started using paper bags, they are fairly large and we just got the one. I expected her to put the frozen veg in a small plastic but no, by the time we got home it had come through the bottom of the paper bag.

IMG_20190912_143654[1].jpg

IMG_20190912_143704[1].jpg

42 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

I guess, I will survive that!

At least, I am trying to do my part for the environment and don't whine about a "nanny state", if someone WOULD actually implement sensible measures!

Well if you truly believe you are doing your part - carry matches around and ignite your exhaust instead of releasing it into the atmosphere and harming the ozone layer ????

3 hours ago, BillyB2008 said:

Absolutely right. Just the beginning. 

Getting closer and closer to China ????????. Next is the surveillance Chinese style.....

Billy - Thais are actually worse. China  has facial biometrics recognition but in Thailand it's double whammy - 10 fingerprinting and facial biometrics. Don't know what this love of LOS is. The gloss has turned to a faded tarnish.

21 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Just curious how in the hell am i going to drink a coke in a bag now ha???? Clearly its what bags were designed for. God i hope they have come up with some better way to supply coke by then.

I have indeed heard of such an invention. I think it's a metal bag, something the eeevil, eeeeeevil aliens call a "can". Not Thai, mai dee. How are you supposed to add two cups of sugar into such a contraption, huh?

On 9/12/2019 at 9:46 AM, Saint Nick said:

Get a rucksack...maybe?

Lots of space, easy to carry while walking!

But hey...why involve some brain activity, when you can just complain, huh!?

And "fatty farang"?

How about all the Thais, who get on their motocy, to drive 300 meters to the next 7eleven?

If I have a dedicated shopping mission to the Gourmet Mart in Phrom Pong, I bring my backpack.

Which can carry 24 plus liters of foodstuffs. Thats how I shop for my meat, cheese and dairy, plus any gourmet items I simply must have, such as Wasa bread. I dont need plastic bags then.

22 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Just curious how in the hell am i going to drink a coke in a bag now ha???? Clearly its what bags were designed for. God i hope they have come up with some better way to supply coke by then.

There will be no law against plastic bags from 2021, it's just an agreement so far. Think about those millions of Thai buying food every day from street vendors and local markets. Tom Yam in a paper bag won't be the best solution. 

As a start today's Tops delivery was paper bags for all but refrigerator items.  Tesco has option for no bags but that only works if delivery by dedicated truck with trays (1 in 5 for me) - MC delivery still plastic bags for everything.  

Archived