BANGKOK
webfact

Plastic bags: No more from the start of 2021

There are those that are unhappy because nothing is being done. There are those that are unhappy because something is being done. Then there are those that are simply unhappy people and happy to spread the infection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

everyone agrees with the concept but it is only workable if a viable alternative is found

and plastic bags are only part of the problem

There are viable alternatives. I take my linen bags to the shopping center since years. I do not use single use plastic at all and recyle all PET, PE, PP, Glas. It is all up to you.  - Do something, lead, follow, or get out of the way (Ted Turner)

When they started to charge for plastic bags in the U.K. the large supermarkets initially gave out heavy duty plastic carrier bags referred to as “Bag for Life” to everyone. When the bag wore out or got damaged you took it to the supermarket for a free replacement with the option to buy more bags if needed. These are used everywhere by UK shoppers & as they carry the supermarkets brand logo, they get free advertising into the bargain. The use of free plastic bags has stopped in all shops. I even brought some with me for use in Thailand & it’s become automatic for me to take them with me when I go shopping.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I returned, just 2 weeks ago, from a town in Egypt where plastic bags and takeaway food containers have been completely eliminated. Other plastic containers, such as water bottles are reprocessed and become a constituent in the manufacture of paving stones.

It can be done. 

What did the street vendors use  as replacement containers for superheated soups that customers take home on their motorbike mirrors ?

Plastic bags can be turned back into oil/fuel

All good but when i look at my waste its not so much plastic bags its packaging .. bananas in plastic oranges in plastic milk in plastic etc therein is the problem  Start there as well please !

17 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

Anyone wanna buy 30 million string bags?😃

Maybe Ganja bags..they are talking about every Thai citizen being allowed to grow 6 plants each :stoner:

Edited by johng

Hmm.... until Thais stop seeing the world as their personal rubbish dump not much is likely to change. However this should mean less plastic bags will be dumped but TIT

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Let the consumers decide what they want, not a Politician.

okay
But then they pay.
Not only the price of the bag but a share of cleaning and recycling when they become waste.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

Nanny state without any of the benefits of nanny states.

The worst of both worlds.

I agree with you but not in regard to plastic bags. Thailand has to be the worst offender I have seen for their unnecessary use. 

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

it would be a good thing if at school there was a teaching program on the protection of one's own territory. Education is the only road that will still be long for a........ few centuries maybe.

Teachers are probably as oblivious to the environmental dangers of plastic bags as anyone else in the community.