Plastic bags: No more from the start of 2021

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often refuse a plastic bag at Home fresh, but then buy bread at a bakery 20 meters away that will put every individual pastry in its own plastic bag, tape it up, and then put all of them into a bigger plastic bag.  Sometimes dozens of bags in a bag  . . . I guess it's really important that bread doesn't touch other pieces of bread these days . . . 

10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Just make the possession of a plastic bag be a automatic 1 year in jail.....So if you had 10 plastic bags that would be 10 years in jail.....If you had 20 plastic bags that would be 20 years in jail....  

But then, how will I clean up trash when I'm at the beach?

10 hours ago, helvellyn said:

Regarding mom and pop stores.  There's an independent grocery store in a village near me that doesn't have any plastic bags.  You either have to take your own bag, buy one of their linen bags or just carry your shopping out in your arms.  It isn't some high end store, just a local store for local people.  Everyone seems fine with it and it's always busy.

The other part of the problem is rubbish collection.  Most people outside cities and town centres don't have rubbish collection.  They either have to burn their rubbish or fly-tip it.  This has created a littering culture because why take home a food wrapper when you know you have to go to the effort of burning it and creating toxic fumes when you can just drop it in the street.

I lived out in a small country-side town for the first 4 years here.  Rubbish collection daily.  Some people around us still burned their trash.  Charcoal making I didn't mind so much.   

Moved into the city suburbs, collection only once a week.  Those black rubber bin on the soi get pretty funky after a couple days baking in the sun. 

Had to laugh when we first moved in, I did my usual sweep up of garden leaves and stuff, in a pile on the soi and lit it on fire like I always dun did.  Neighbors had a fit and the wife asked me not to do "that" anymore.   Fair enough, my country a** quit doing that, but it was a wake up call we wuz living in the city now, moo baan close quarters.

Kinda miss country livin' in some ways. 

in the uk they made u pay for plastic bags now people carry their bags and less use or get one..u can buy a bag if u need one,but also people will carry the goods from the store now unless u have your own.also the plastic bags are used or left in the street after for many things so i don,t have to buy any and i recycle what i found.just a matter of time for thailand to adjust like all the other countries.and the plastic bag rate will go down

12 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

it would be a good thing if at school there was a teaching program on the protection of one's own territory. Education is the only road that will still be long for a........ few centuries maybe.

optimistic, very optimistic

15 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

agreed. everyone should pitch in to make it work. the sucky thing is having to buy garbage bags

OMG - Yet another law to regiment the Thai population. It's rapidly becoming a police state. Interesting thing is when something is banned, the replacement is worse and more costly to the consumer. Just what do they advise on a suitable environmentally friendly replacement. Maybe everyone (including tourists) will have to bring a billy can with them. All the expats must be thinking "what possessed me to leave my home country". The supposed paradise is becoming worse hellhole. Too many penis heads running the place now. Individual liberty in the LOS is fast disappearing.

1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

in the uk they made u pay for plastic bags now people carry their bags and less use or get one..u can buy a bag if u need one,but also people will carry the goods from the store now unless u have your own.also the plastic bags are used or left in the street after for many things so i don,t have to buy any and i recycle what i found.just a matter of time for thailand to adjust like all the other countries.and the plastic bag rate will go down

The reasoning "sounds good". But in practice it doesn't work and just lines the pockets of the supermarkets. Just about everyone is willing to pay say 15 cents for a sturdy bag. If it was $2 , people would be reticent. And the plastic bags that are sold are much more sturdier than the single use ones, so they would end up in the waterways anyhow - and cause greater problems. Also, the single use bags were good to use for food scraps - now we have to buy the equivalent. Win, win for supermarkets.

45 minutes ago, balo said:

2021 ?  I don't believe it until I see it with my own eyes.  Just more talk and little action.

"more talk and little action"???? How about thb 800k in bank, compulsory health insurance, fingerprint scanning, passport to get sim card, TM28, TM30.etc etc  Are you kidding - it's become a hardheaded police state !!!

14 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Yet another one of many self righteous comments which seem to assume that everyone does their shopping by car. You’re doing hugely more environmental damage by driving your car to the shops than someone walking home with their shopping in plastic bags (which will almost always be reused for another purpose anyway).

I walk it, when I go to and come back from Foodland. About 3 km each way. And here is what is irritating about the paperbaggers. For those 3 km back, I can carry four, maybe five plastic bags. Carrying even one paper bag is unwieldy. Who is causing more environmental damage? Me? Walking to and from the store with five plastic bags? Or Fatty Farang, addicted to his stratocruiser aircon truck who starts wheezing if he's forced to walk more than 50 meters from the front door of the store to his carbon emitting machine?

14 hours ago, ylmiri said:

Private jobless people can also make bamboo baskets to sell to supermarket. Government should help to set up for them a place to make those basket, throughout the city or small towns.

You plan on doing this, too? Or is it just a job for those picturesque natives in grass huts? The serfs? So Bwana can feel good about his crusade against plastic.

Stopping the use of the plastics is a good first step to the plastic pollution issue but the county needs a STRONG anti-litter law with some serious teeth in it and thousands of recycle bins and and a national campaign to train people to stop dumping on the ground and learn to put the stuff in to the bins. It can happen but they have to start and follow through with a massive education campaign on TV, social media, schools and at home. Make it glamorous to be clean and to recycle.

6 hours ago, Melbun said:

OMG - Yet another law to regiment the Thai population. It's rapidly becoming a police state. Interesting thing is when something is banned, the replacement is worse and more costly to the consumer. Just what do they advise on a suitable environmentally friendly replacement. Maybe everyone (including tourists) will have to bring a billy can with them. All the expats must be thinking "what possessed me to leave my home country". The supposed paradise is becoming worse hellhole. Too many penis heads running the place now. Individual liberty in the LOS is fast disappearing.

Thailand may be becoming a hellhole, but sure not, if someone actually wants to make some sensible ecological choices (and we will see, if it ever really happnes)!

But I tooooootally get your point!

These dictatorial pigs, who make you bring YOUR OWN BAG, when you go shopping!

Could life get any worse?

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

I walk it, when I go to and come back from Foodland. About 3 km each way. And here is what is irritating about the paperbaggers. For those 3 km back, I can carry four, maybe five plastic bags. Carrying even one paper bag is unwieldy. Who is causing more environmental damage? Me? Walking to and from the store with five plastic bags? Or Fatty Farang, addicted to his stratocruiser aircon truck who starts wheezing if he's forced to walk more than 50 meters from the front door of the store to his carbon emitting machine?

Get a rucksack...maybe?

Lots of space, easy to carry while walking!

But hey...why involve some brain activity, when you can just complain, huh!?

And "fatty farang"?

How about all the Thais, who get on their motocy, to drive 300 meters to the next 7eleven?

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

If you and your actions in relation to plastic bags were 90% of the adult population rather than .01% of the adult population, then what you say might have some relevance. Sorry, policy cannot be based on the actions of the extreme minority. I would have thought that was obvious.  And don't carry any paper bags. Buy a few reusable cotton bags or, better still, a large backpack, and walk home in relative comfort. You see/acknowledge how "the rest of the world" behaves, don't ignore it, adjust to deal with it. And, hopefully, if the new law is enforced (as I hope that it is), you will have no choice, with little discomfort or added cost.  

2 hours ago, stubby52 said:

And Australia only achieved this around 18mths ago lets hope Thailands neighbours do the same.

Acheived what? I was in Australia last year. They still sell raw meat wrapped in plastic. They still sell Bread in plastic bags. The supermarkets still sell fruit and vegetables in plastic bags. And that's not to mention the plastic packaging used in a million other non-food items.

What exactly has Australia acheived?

So what substitute can people use to bag their daily food waste ? Or just dump food waste direct into rubbish chutes and bins and stain it and attract cockroaches and ants, birds and flies and rats for free feasting ? If use garage bags, it's still plastic, and people will use these as substitutes in place. The world should come up with a green solution of very similar properties and functionality to plastic, then can they start to ban plastic. 

So what substitute can people use to bag their daily food waste ? Or just dump food waste direct into rubbish chutes and bins and stain it and attract cockroaches and ants, birds and flies and rats for free feasting ? If use garage bags, it's still plastic, and people will use these as substitutes in place. The world should come up with a green solution of very similar properties and functionality to plastic, then can they start to ban plastic. 

The ban is only for plastic bags less than 35 microns, bags with a thickness over 35 microns are still allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Great idea but let us be realistic here in rural areas away from Bangkok and "Superstores", where small village shops and markets rely on one-off plastic bags for goods, produce and food. Some stalls and retail outlets actually dedicate their business to the sale of plastic bags for these purposes, also foam boxes and plastic spoons! The plastic bag will still be around "out in the sticks" well beyond 2021. Plan a visit and see for yourself.

and I will be happy to use that plastic bag any day of the week because the plastic bag doesn't hurt the environment, its the damn lazy ass people who do not know how to dispose of it. 

I always carry a brown paper bag so i can put my yogurt and milk containers(plastic) in a

environmentaly safe container-- as usual the the real enemies are the manufacturers not the consumers we bear the cost of their money saving manufacturing processes

ever bought a pair of scissors to cut open a plastic sealed container ?

there's a hole in my bucket etc

watch out for 7 /11 selling non plastic bags for you to save the world

beer bottles made of glass now that seems to me to save the world- sod milk

whiskey bottles made of glass

wine bottles made of glass

I do my bit to save the world

"more talk and little action"???? How about thb 800k in bank, compulsory health insurance, fingerprint scanning, passport to get sim card, TM28, TM30.etc etc  Are you kidding - it's become a hardheaded police state !!!

Absolutely right. Just the beginning. 

Getting closer and closer to China ????????. Next is the surveillance Chinese style.....

Absolutely right. Just the beginning. 

Getting closer and closer to China ????????. Next is the surveillance Chinese style.....

Archived