BANGKOK
CangguSurfer

ED Visa PROBLEMS in Laos! Any recent experiences / advice?

8 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

How pompous and sanctimonious of you LOL!  I started this thread because the Laos Thai Consulate has recently started coming down really hard on ED Visas for new yet unfounded (and unspecified) reasons. 

It may be true that some people abuse such Visas but I am not one of them, and since none of you know anything about me, your insulting and unfounded insinuations are quite unfair. 

My application was approved the other day by the Thai Ministry of Education, and the school itself has an excellent reputation with them as well.  I may be forced to find another visa option to stay and attend this school if my ED VIsa is unfairly denied by a Thai Consulate.  Is it so wrong of me to look for possible solutions to this worst-case-scenario if it comes to be?

If anyone should be the judge of an applicant's suitability for being granted an ED Visa, I would say it should be the Ministry of Education, not a Thai Consulate, and certainly not self-appointed arbiters of right vs wrong here on Thai Visa, the self-righteous and pompous fatheads who jump on threads like this with nothing constructive or helpful to add, only hateful, troll-like comments to make.  I realize this is sport for some people with nothing better to do with their time, but it gets real old after a while!  

You ask for advice and attach those who point out the obvious. As you know the Ed visas are now a problem (reason for your post) and you need to find other solutions. Chill out for once. This is Thailand not New York.

20 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

I'm beginning to think that the ED Visa may not have been the wisest choice for extending my stay here for the next 9 months, and may go back to my original idea of just applying for a 60 day Tourist VIsa (extending it locally to 90 days), and repeating that a few times once my "retirement" visa expires at the end of this month.

Your post mentions nothing about studying Thai. Seems you are just trying to circumvent the system. Which is why these visa's are now hard to get..

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or perhaps people should abide by the terms and conditions of the Visa or Entry they utilize. If they come in on an ED Visa, they should be attending school. If they use Visa Exempt or Tourist Visas, they should really be tourists, not residing. 

We do help each other, very much so, in this forum. Pointing people towards various ways to remain in Thailand and answering questions. What is an issue, is people playing/ gaming the system, irritating Thai immigration, and causing them to modify rules and become ever stricter. That is NOT helping each other much at all.

No non Thai has a right to live in Thailand. 

Well said. He doesn't have the funds to renew a Non O retirement, doesn't want to pay an agent, and wants to find a way around the rules. Then he wants to use the Ed visa which may or may not require class time. Any suggestion of a Marriage visa is ignored. He really doesn't sound for real. Then he gets high and mighty and argues when people point this out. He said he might go to Vietnam, which would be a win for those staying here. I sure he'll have a verbose response to this and or personal attach. Oh well! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Los Luver said:

It seems that some people just don't get the message. Thailand just doesn't want people live in the country on TV.  It's simple as that. Get the right visa or leave

:slow clap: The guys was asking about an Ed visa.

Mind you, I have to agree with you. I had a non-o and I started to study a BA at a college here in Thailand, it was obvious that even this was a visa mill for people working illegally (on their Ed-visas) in Bangkok.

It’s a small wonder why immigration are toughening up on these Thai language / Thai boxing / dubious degree loopholes.

• Like 2

"'m beginning to think that the ED Visa may not have been the wisest choice for extending my stay here for the next 9 months, and may go back to my original idea of just applying for a 60 day Tourist VIsa (extending it locally to 90 days), and repeating that a few times once my "retirement" visa expires at the end of this month."

Why not extend your "retirement visa" NO FUNDS? So you are just another one who wants advise to escape the rules by ED visa.... thank you, you just make  it better for honest and correct people.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, recom273 said:

33 minutes ago, recom273 said:

:slow clap: The guys was asking about an Ed visa.

Mind you, I have to agree with you. I had a non-o and I started to study a BA at a college here in Thailand, it was obvious that even this was a visa mill for people working illegally (on their Ed-visas) in Bangkok.

It’s a small wonder why immigration are toughening up on these Thai language / Thai boxing / dubious degree loopholes.

Looking for loopholes and not finding any. It must get very frustrating. I really don't get what the author is doing. He states he is on a Non O retirement but can't renew because of fund seasoning. If true he knows he could get another Non O retirement in Laos without funds, so why all this rhetoric about Ed Visa for combate schools or/and language schools. 

When you point out inconsistencies he becomes verbose, angry and attacking. I would have thought that Combate School Training would teach self control as #1. 

Edited by FredGallaher

41 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

They KNOW 99% of ED Visa is not legitimate.

Then why approve the schools and their programs in question? This is ultimately a scam. People pay for courses that do have the Ministry of Education's stamp of approval, but then fail to get a visa based on that extensive paperwork.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Then why approve the schools and their programs in question? This is ultimately a scam. People pay for courses that do have the Ministry of Education's stamp of approval, but then fail to get a visa based on that extensive paperwork.

It comes to mind a saying," There is a sucker born every day". It must be the motto of the scam schools.

2 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

They KNOW 99% of ED Visa is not legitimate.

Its a way to get a Visa when not old enough for Retirement.

So expect problems.

ed visa is every bit as legitimate as extension on being 50+,

the real question is: why do thai immigration discriminate on

grounds of age ?

just make it a flat fee with a proof you are making money from abroad regardless of age

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

I believe they are approved by a completely different ministry. As you say, Min of Ed. They do not issue Visas, that is Min of Foreign Affairs. Another factor comes into play too, the applicant and his record. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I just finished my trip to Laos and was successful in getting my 4th Education Visa. See my comments at: 

Cool. Good to know. I can speak Thai while fighting in the bar (hand-to-hand-combat visa).