ED Visa PROBLEMS in Laos! Any recent experiences / advice?

For us younger people we do not have a choice, could only use Elite or flexible yearly ED visa to not commit for 20years.

It boggles my mind why a retiree would choose a ED visa which costs (alltogether) more than 50k and goes to visa extensions every 90 days when you can just deposit some money and get your yearly visa for 1900 THB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

Have you considered getting tourist visa and then converting it to ED at Bangkok or other IOs?

When I got here first time, I got 30 days free stamp, then TV from Phnom Penh.

Extended TV for 1 month a week after arriving, valid until 6 Jan 2018.

tv_a.jpg

Then, on 25 Dec 2017 I got ED visa without leaving the country at Phuket IO. (for 13000 THB, but no visa run which would be 7000 including visa fee and everything).

ed_a.jpg

Of course the language school helped with the procedure.

btw Not many people go to Phnom Penh, because of longer processing time, 3 days.

I'm sure they will approve your ED.

I submitted "somewhat real" outbound ticket from Thailand, and my bank statement showed only 700USD instead of required 1000 USD,

but the kind old lady just nodded and said ok.

I am thinking about obtaining ED visa at Hua Hin, and thought if they won't convert TV to ED on the spot,

then I would go to Laos, but now I think if not Laos then I would try P-P.

Decent hotel with small pool was 18$ and they provide a free bicycle, easy to go anywhere in 5km radius, including the embassy.

ED Visas can also be converted from 30 day Visa Exempt

Yes they can and do do it in Hua Hin

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It seems it doesn't matter where you apply for the ED-visa. Immigration seems very suspicious about the whole thing. 

Just a few weeks ago, I asked somebody taking a Thai course and he told me his classmates paid for it and only 2 attended, the other 7 didn't attend and they were on ed visa.

I have to ask that student again for more details when I go there next time.

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

. Why would any thinking person apply for an Ed Visa instead of a Non O for Retirement or Marriage? It makes conversation and many pages of comments, but doesn't make sense even if the person only wants to go to the school.

The problem all started when US, Australian, UK embassies all stopped issuing affidavits this year. Those Canadians and French are lucky though. I still see a lot of French retiree here.

So those retirees/foreign Thai husbands who are short of funds (probably making false affidavits in the past) are changing to ed visa instead...

So it does make sense. You might want to ask immigration if there is an increase in ed visas applications starting 1 July 2019 to confirm what I said here.

Edited by EricTh

On 9/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, Vacuum said:

OP actually admitted his/her intentions about the purpose of stay in the country.  :whistling:

Exactly! All good, because they need people testing the rules, so they can close the little holes in them too. :cheesy:

On 9/12/2019 at 11:24 PM, EricTh said:

Chinese holds the largest tourists number in Thailand and they are big spenders. The second largest is from Malaysia and NOT India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Statistics

I hardly see any Indian tourists.

You do not give a source for the 'big spenders' statement in your link, only that they provide the numbers. I am interested as I want to know if they get this 'big spenders' flattery based on per capita numbers, or gross total... which is entirely different. The evidence seen just doesn't seem to support it, in that they are looky-loo tourists herded about, staying in Chinese owned hotels and eating at places that resemble school dining halls.