Phillippians SRRV Visa

Has anyone applied for the Phillippians SRRV Visa?  Are there any Phillippians Expat forums like Thai Visa that I can join.  I'm looking to correspond with individual who have successfully obtained an SRRV visa who can help me negotiate the process.

I also have some interest in this,  having spent some time in the Philippines previously,  but on a 30 day tourist visa.   in fact googled it some time back and found the following website.

https://www.srrv.com.ph/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0YLri_vq4wIVQgwrCh2jsguhEAAYASAAEgJAIfD_BwE

SRRV Classic

For active/healthy retirees, who opt to use their SRR Visa deposit into active investment such as the purchase of condominium unit or long term lease of house & lot. The SRR Visa deposit is as follows: 35 to 49 years old : US$ 50,000; 50 years old & above : US$ 10,000-20,000.

I am not sure of your age,  and health status,    but SRRV classic looks very interesting.

I would also be interested to know if any others have any further information on this topic.

I've frequently visited PI and their lack of solid infrastructure is the 2nd most important deterrent. I sadly admit that the #1 deterrent is the lack of ANYTHING like Walking Street/LK Metro/Soi 6/Soapy Massage rooms. I am such a slave to my tallywhacker! The Philippines offers NO nude/topless dancers, NO short time rooms (at least that I could find), it just seems like Jomtien offers it all. Close enough to the action, great apartment with an ocean view, good health care, far away enough from Pattaya monger spillover.

I have never been able to find anything like TV in the Philippines which I don't understand given the amount of expats who live there.  Not as many as Thailand but still a significant amount.  It is possible to find agents to help with the process which aren't too expensive.  The problem is with googling where just about any search returns agencies who's business is to help Filipinos get visas for other countries.  I will attach a booklet which will help with most of your questions but certainly not all.  Remember that 99% of Filipino officials speak English. There are also multiple Youtube videos out there with varying degrees of usefulness.  Like the ones for Thailand, they seem to cater to on sector of spending ability. 

Where are you interested in living?

SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

1 hour ago, quandow said:

I've frequently visited PI and their lack of solid infrastructure is the 2nd most important deterrent. I sadly admit that the #1 deterrent is the lack of ANYTHING like Walking Street/LK Metro/Soi 6/Soapy Massage rooms. I am such a slave to my tallywhacker! The Philippines offers NO nude/topless dancers, NO short time rooms (at least that I could find), it just seems like Jomtien offers it all. Close enough to the action, great apartment with an ocean view, good health care, far away enough from Pattaya monger spillover.

I'm not quite sure what "solid infrastructure" means in SE Asia other than Singapore and Malaysia.  The Philippines does have multiple issues, more than Thailand but that is somewhat mitigated by the easier visa processes, the stronger foreign currency to the Peso and the widespread use of English.  The "nightlife" in the Philippines will never come near Pattaya.  The only place that could be considered is Angeles City with the Walking Street and Fields Ave.  The soapy massage and short time rooms do exist but not nearly like Thailand.  There are, or were, a few nude places in Quezon City but those were pretty much for Filipinos.  Various past and present government officials have clamped down on some activities over the years like the guy in Ermita who would personalty go around with an ax to close places down. 

There have been entire topics on the subject of Thailand vs the Philippines which boil down to the two are exactly the same but different. 

SRRV is not needed by most expats but real attractiveness would appear for those with previous service in PI (military/diplomates) where special category is available without the financials of the normal application.  Well worth a look for some.  Those married get a free year stay by just arriving in country with spouse.  Those not married can pay for extension of about 30/60/180 days up to 3 years stay on any entry and then exit for a day and repeat so most seem to use that system.  

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

but real attractiveness would appear for those with previous service in PI (military/diplomates)

The service doesnt have to be in PI, but for a country that has links with PI.

Ive seen a list. Maybe google can help.

Thanks for the useful information.  It's a good start.  The SRRV is attractive due to the fact that I was ex-military and served time in the PI in the past and also had many Filipino friends.  Is it Thailand?  No.  Which is both a strength and a weakness, pluses and minuses depending on how you conduct your life.  I have no interest in typical expat nightlife like 'Walking Streets, bars, or bar girls."  I'm more interested in access to beaches and a like-minded community of down-to-earth friends both expat and native in a country that actually welcomes you as a contribution to their economy and society as opposed to being constantly survilled and labelled a "national security threat."  At the end of the day it completely depends on how one defines quality of life. 

47 minutes ago, oznomad said:

The service doesnt have to be in PI, but for a country that has links with PI.

Ive seen a list. Maybe google can help.

Yes it has been modified recently (several years ago) to open it to many more but have not checked details.

There's no real need to because it's so easy to stay there for years on tourist visas, I never met an expat there that bothered with the retirement visa. You'd be wasting money depositing the required funds in a Filipino bank to earn near-zero interest instead of investing it somewhere yourself. 

You can just extend tourist visas within the country for several years at a time then take a quick flight out of the country, turn around and start over again.

3 hours ago, coppywriter said:

Just use the services of what they call "A Marketeer". Its a free service accredited by the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA). An agent will guide you through the process from start to finish.

Do you have a legitimate link for them.  The only one I can find, https://pra.gov.ph/marketers-agents/, gets blocked by Google as a phishing site.

44 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Do you have a legitimate link for them.  The only one I can find, https://pra.gov.ph/marketers-agents/, gets blocked by Google as a phishing site.

I had no problem accessing it via Firefox.  Plus https://pra.gov.ph is the legitimate site for the Philippine Retirement Authority.  You may wish to try another browser. 
Consider Google as suspect as they have placed themselves in the position as being the gatekeepers of the Internet.

11 hours ago, connda said:

I had no problem accessing it via Firefox.  Plus https://pra.gov.ph is the legitimate site for the Philippine Retirement Authority.  You may wish to try another browser. 
Consider Google as suspect as they have placed themselves in the position as being the gatekeepers of the Internet.

That worked.

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

SRRV is not needed by most expats but real attractiveness would appear for those with previous service in PI (military/diplomates) where special category is available without the financials of the normal application.  Well worth a look for some.  Those married get a free year stay by just arriving in country with spouse.  Those not married can pay for extension of about 30/60/180 days up to 3 years stay on any entry and then exit for a day and repeat so most seem to use that system.  

"not needed" is correct however there are advantages to SSRV.  In addition to the list below, if someone lives in the bundoks, traveling for extensions and leaving every few years can be a pain.  Also, the decision does not need to be made immediately. 

Permanent non-immigrant status with multiple-entry privileges through the Special Resident Retiree's Visa;
Exemption from customs duties and taxes for the importation of personal effects;
Exemption from Exit Clearance and Re-entry Permits;
Exemption from payment of travel tax provided the retiree has not stayed in the Philippines for more than one year from date of his last entry into the country;
Conversion of the requisite deposit into active investments, including purchase of condominium unit;
Interest on the foreign currency deposit is tax-free and payable to retiree in Philippine Pesos;
Foreign currency time deposit can be converted into Philippine Pesos deposit, but interest is subject to withholding tax;
Pension, annuities remitted to the Philippines are tax-free; and
Guaranteed repatriation of the requisites deposit including invested profits, capital gains and dividends accrued from investments, upon compliance with Bangko Sentral rules and regulations.
Access to the better than nothing Philhealth system.

Relatively short flight to Guam for Medicare coverage.

No requirement for the ACR I-Card 

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Relatively short flight to Guam for Medicare coverage.

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

leaving every few years can be a pain

Was not saying no advantage but most are not required by the majority of expats - dual tax treaty normally covers pensions and would not want to live anywhere without health insurance and one flight every 3 years seems to be possible for most.  Living in boonies can be an issue (but that is true anywhere - including USA - the newer six month extensions option seems to help that a bit).

The SRRV - Expanded Courtesy is particularly attractive to ex-servicemen.

If not to live there, just as a backup residency.

Application Fee USD $1400

Deposit USD $1500 (which they hold on to unless you want to use it for real estate purchase or leasing of a house.)

Annual fee. USD $10

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Was not saying no advantage but most are not required by the majority of expats - dual tax treaty normally covers pensions and would not want to live anywhere without health insurance and one flight every 3 years seems to be possible for most.  Living in boonies can be an issue (but that is true anywhere - including USA - the newer six month extensions option seems to help that a bit).

Agreed.  You also quoted my quote on Guam but did not comment on it.  Did you mean to comment.

23 minutes ago, oznomad said:

The SRRV - Expanded Courtesy is particularly attractive to ex-servicemen.

If not to live there, just as a backup residency.

Application Fee USD $1400

Deposit USD $1500 (which they hold on to unless you want to use it for real estate purchase or leasing of a house.)

Annual fee. USD $10

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

I see this but what are the exact requirements and how do you prove them.  Does simply being assigned to Clark or Subic qualify?

"Retired military personnel who have provided military aid and training to the Philippine Government via a defense treat or any other similar agreement."

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Guam is a nice option to have but believe insurance for where located is to be preferred.  Have no knowledge on medicare so can not comment on that.

Agreed.  Most american retirees have medicare but it cannot be used outside of the United States.  Local quality insurance is good but sometimes you need more and for someone who is already paying for medicare, Guam is an option.

58 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I see this but what are the exact requirements and how do you prove them.  Does simply being assigned to Clark or Subic qualify?

"Retired military personnel who have provided military aid and training to the Philippine Government via a defense treat or any other similar agreement."

I asked the question of them, last year.

You didnt have to serve in PH, just be a serviceman of a country with PH ties.

Australia was ok. I guess US would be too. Others will have to check.

Archived