BANGKOK
Chris747

TM30: unclear what to do if mother stays in rented house

I have a quick TM30 question. I rent a detached house from a Thai landlord. Rental contract is in my name. Now my mother visits and stays 2 weeks at our house. She stays during the whole time she's in Thailand in our house.

Who is responsible for the TM30? Landlord or myself?

thanks, Chris

My take on all this TM30 issue: 

If you have dealings with Chaengwattana Immigration or another Immigration office, i.e. for an extension of stay etc then do a TM30.

If your exposure to Immigration is only ever going to be via a border, i.e. flying in and out of Thailand via an Airport or travelling via a land boarder crossing then TM30 compliance is not checked. 

I’m in and out of Thailand frequently (monthly), I’ve never filled out the TM30. It’s never been asked for at an airport. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris747 said:

Who is responsible for the TM30? Landlord or myself?

It could be both. The landlord definitely, you maybe.

If a report isn’t made — and they consider you as the Possessor of the property (as a tenant) — they could fine you for not reporting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dominion said:

Just say you went camping if anyone asks. Easy.

Or say you've been sleeping homeless on the streets or on the beach. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

If a report isn’t made — and they consider you as the Possessor of the property (as a tenant) — they could fine you for not reporting.

How would they do so - is there a system in place that is used to actively chase down the house owner / possessor for failing to submit a TM30 report, or is this just a theoretical risk?

The only punitive actions I've heard of regarding the TM30s have been those targetted at foreigners in need of immigration services, aside from the occasional condo raid. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you have dealings with Chaengwattana Immigration or another Immigration office, i.e. for an extension of stay etc then do a TM30.

I went on Monday to CW to do an annual retirement extension and the TM30 was never mentioned - I had proof with me, but kept it to myself. I noticed the TM30 queue mostly empty as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

And if during her 2 week stay she never goes to immigration, who is going to fine you/him/her?

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

In theory, but if no interface with the immigration office in the two weeks I wouldn’t bother registering.

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

And if during her 2 week stay she never goes to immigration, who is going to fine you/him/her?

The only possibility would be if the Thai Immigration super computer actually tied the TM-6 to TM-30s. Once the submarine is paid off they may then move on to the super computer (and people who know how to program it).

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dominion said:

Bury her under the floorboards/concrete, easier.

16 hours ago, Dominion said:

Or within 24 hours went sailing around Thailand!

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I went on Monday to CW to do an annual retirement extension and the TM30 was never mentioned - I had proof with me, but kept it to myself. I noticed the TM30 queue mostly empty as well.

Read that fines were "suspended" maybe they are starting to turn a blind eye?

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I understood from other TVF posts that when you do an annual retirement extension, the IO has to follow a checklist which includes checking whether a current TM30 has been filed.  And if that's the case they will not ask you about it.