TM30: unclear what to do if mother stays in rented house

19 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Another confusion i see on the horizon are a couple of retirees i know of who are completely oblivious to this tm30 malarkey, 

One friend infact has 3 phones none of which are smart, Similar to old nokia phones, he has one for each country, thailand, uk and dubai,

The appropriate phone will be taken out the drawer before traveling, they have nothing to do with or any interest in the internet of things,

How are they supposed to know about this tm30?

They could go to a book store, a library or their immigration office and acquire a copy of the laws.

If they don't do this, they will know about it when they get fined.

My Moms travelling over to stay in my rented building in a few weeks time.

She will have no doubt have filled in the TM6 card on arrival, listing our address details, so Immigration will know where she is.

We've already been given a shake down by the BIB and had everyone dragged down to Jomtien Immigration to see what can be extorted out of us a few months back, even though there was nothing wrong. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. No money changed hands, so all the BIB were <deleted> as hell.

I already have online access to the immigration web site, so she'll be registered within 24 hours of arrival, a printed out copy of the TM30 report will be given to her to keep in her handbag together with her passport just in case she gets checked. I don't want my 80 year old mom being hassled by the non-smilers at Jomtien I.O.

Another copy of the TM30 online report will be stuck on the wall near the front door.

If this is what is needed then so be it - it all seams a bit pointless to me. I mean...

...I can't see how all these TM30 measures will help stop crime?

Isn't it obvious to the powers that be in the Thai government that criminals won't report their whereabouts?

Are they delusional?

'should be fkin obvious, <deleted>. :wai: etc.

'

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"He only needs to ensure that a TM30 has been filed from the location where he is residing, prior to visiting his provincial IO."

Several offices are quite tough about doing the TM30 report within the timeframe after being reported somewhere. Some offices doesn't ask for the TM30 to be done when applying for the 1 year extension, and doesn't even look for the Receipt of Notification stapled inside the passport. 

Your comments are correct, and indeed the inconsistency of enforcement by the provincial IO's makes it very difficult to give fool-proof advice.

But in my opinion the following statement is correct > In order to avoid the risk of having your application for an extension of stay being denied, you need to ensure that a TM30 has been filed from the location where you are residing at the moment of application.

Indeed, if you have a 'tough' IO, you might get fined for possible non-reporting of TM30s in between, but you extension of stay will not be denied.

If you have an easy-going IO, they might not even check your TM30 status in their database.

But either way your extension of stay is not at jeopardy, and that's what matters most.

12 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Another confusion i see on the horizon are a couple of retirees i know of who are completely oblivious to this tm30 malarkey, 

One friend infact has 3 phones none of which are smart, Similar to old nokia phones, he has one for each country, thailand, uk and dubai,

The appropriate phone will be taken out the drawer before traveling, they have nothing to do with or any interest in the internet of things,

How are they supposed to know about this tm30?

The (too) easy answer to this is: Everybody is supposed to know the law. 
But in the case of TM30 - due to the inconsistent enforcement nationwide - it takes quite some time to fully understand what you need to do to avoid unpleasant surprises when visiting your IO.

I learned about TM30 by browsing the ThaiVisa Forum and sifting all the stories ranging from ignore the whole thing, to completely overdoing it.

But if you do not have Internet access there are only 2 options: rely on a friend who is/has been in the same situation as yourself for advice, or call/visit your provincial IO and ask them.