required training for chemical spraying !!!!

oporhatch

My wife was informed that there will be some sort of governance concerning spraying chemicals on farm land from the 20th September .

Apparently she has to provide some land documents and then take a course (probably Health and Safety I suppose).

If not, we are not allowed to purchase or use the chemicals.  If  found out according to the local government office , there will be a heavy fine.

Can somebody throw some light on what this is all about ...or even point me to some documentation so I can fully understand , what's happening.

We currently employ people to spray the weeds around 2 x year on a Rubber Tree farm 

any information would be appreciated     

17 hours ago, grollies said:

Ask Thaiguzzi on the rubber tree forum, he'll know. We have rubber but don't use weedkiller.

TG knows nuffink about weedkiller.

Never used it, never wanted to.

We have rubber, and we never have used weedkiller.

When we first planted 16 years ago, i had a big Ford 4000 tractor, used for ploughing, rotorvating and later on, just grass cutting duties.

It then got too heavy to go in between mature trees, damaging roots etc, so we bought a little Kubota KRT 140+ which only weighs 650 kgs as opposed to over 3 tonnes.

This has done sterling service over the years, but as the trees have got older, so the grass and weeds have got less and less, but branch felling increased, the tractors hours have gone from 200+ pa to last years 40+, and this year so far not more than 25 hours.

Compounded by the fact that our tappers rely on us less to cut grass with the tractor, and just keep tidying up with grass strimmers themselves.

We are approaching that time that the TG plantation may go without the need for a tractor and sell it.

Will be a sad day in the TG household....

10 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

TG knows nuffink about weedkiller.

Never used it, never wanted to.

We have rubber, and we never have used weedkiller.

When we first planted 16 years ago, i had a big Ford 4000 tractor, used for ploughing, rotorvating and later on, just grass cutting duties.

It then got too heavy to go in between mature trees, damaging roots etc, so we bought a little Kubota KRT 140+ which only weighs 650 kgs as opposed to over 3 tonnes.

This has done sterling service over the years, but as the trees have got older, so the grass and weeds have got less and less, but branch felling increased, the tractors hours have gone from 200+ pa to last years 40+, and this year so far not more than 25 hours.

Compounded by the fact that our tappers rely on us less to cut grass with the tractor, and just keep tidying up with grass strimmers themselves.

We are approaching that time that the TG plantation may go without the need for a tractor and sell it.

Will be a sad day in the TG household....

Glad to hear it mate. I leave the weeds alone and just flatten any long grass once a year. Got low-growing cover crop under the trees fixing nitrogen into the soil. The tappers strim a path along the tree line.

Can't wait till the OP tells his missus they don't need weedkiller......."but we always use weedkiller in Thailand ka...."

1 minute ago, grollies said:

Glad to hear it mate. I leave the weeds alone and just flatten any long grass once a year. Got low-growing cover crop under the trees fixing nitrogen into the soil. The tappers strim a path along the tree line.

Can't wait till the OP tells his missus they don't need weedkiller......."but we always use weedkiller in Thailand ka...."

Nah, i think the OP may be looking for a small tractor.... wink wink...

I spent a couple months coaching my inlaw about permaculture and building back his soil. I hauled tons of manure and installed irrigation. I caught him spraying synthetic pyrethrine (even tho we did not have any issues) on everything including the flowers that was meant to promote bees. Obviously he had no protection or anything to measure the concentration of his spray. I feel hopeless. 

22 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I spent a couple months coaching my inlaw about permaculture and building back his soil. I hauled tons of manure and installed irrigation. I caught him spraying synthetic pyrethrine (even tho we did not have any issues) on everything including the flowers that was meant to promote bees. Obviously he had no protection or anything to measure the concentration of his spray. I feel hopeless. 

TiT...................very sad they seem unable or unwilling to adapt. Good on you for pushing the permaculture. I'm looking at Geoff Lawton lectures at the moment with a view to thinning out <deleted> rubber and putting various plants and trees in the glades that open up. Also his water management topics are interesting. I'm building swales to stop water run-off through the rubber and getting it to soak into the ground more........we are relying on our boreholes and anything we can do this year to gather water underground will be a bonus with the small amount of rain we've had so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived