New 60 day tourist visa

I am a UK citizen with a 60 day tourist SETV visa issued in London. This is the second 60 day SETV I've had this calendar year, with a break of 3 months between the two. I have extended both here in Chiang Mai. I'm now just in my final 30 days. I'd like to stay until the end of January, and was planning to exit the country to get a 60 day tourist visa from a nearby embassy at the end of this thirty days, then extending that in due course. Given the recent issues with refusals of multiple tourist visas, what's my best strategy? Which embassy would be best to try - I was thinking of KL, with a back up Penang or Singapore? Or would it be better to just hop in and out (by air) three times, relying on 30 day VE exempt for re-entry? Any advice appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not saying you cannot obtain another setv, however keep in mind you can do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year entering via border. Each can be extended by 30 days. Meaning 4 months. 

Airports esp DM getting tricky.

Yes, of course, I’d temporarily forgotten that I could extend a VE entry. That’s a back up plan, thank you. Would prefer a 60+30 option if possible however.

39 minutes ago, rosyrose said:

In Chiang Mai.

That's why I asked. Example only couple weeks ago...report someone flying to Saigon to obtain ed visa. Far more history than yourself. Also had previous ed visa etc etc. Visa issued but stamped void. Had already used his 2 visa exempt border. Eventually fly direct Saigon to CM even with the void stamp and history. Was ommited visa exempt stamp.

Saigon is fun joint and Thai consulate not as busy as Vientiane etc. 

Personally I would try Saigon for setv. If rejected (can't see why) ...however if is rejected fly Saigon to CM enter VE

Edited by DrJack54

The whole situation is very uncertain so far as tourist visas is concerned. There have just been too many recent changes to be sure. With visa exempt entries, I would say they are safe for the two by land per calendar year, and very risky for airport entry, though that varies a lot between airports. Also, many extended visa exempt entries is probably a red flag for some consulates and immigration at some airports, and best avoided when possible if you plan a lot of time in Thailand in the future.

3 hours ago, rosyrose said:

Given the recent issues with refusals of multiple tourist visas, what's my best strategy?

You have been given excellent advice so far and I am just commenting because I frequently cross the Mae Sai/Tachilek border.  Your best strategy would be to get a VE entry at Mae Sai, extend and then do it again.  If you do go to Mae Sai, immigration will not allow you to leave if they have no intention of letting you back into Thailand.  That means it's important to be polite and calmly answer any questions they may ask on exit.

Edited by kanook