Blow for PM Johnson as Scottish court rules suspension of parliament is unlawful

snoop1130

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Just when I thought the brexit circus could not possibly get any more prepostorous....

The UK has surpassed Thailand as the laughing stock of the world.

Could you imagine us Europeans wanting Thailand in our Union?

Could you imagine us Europeans wanting the UK in our union?

Don,t worry about it,glad it amuses you,however the UK has an old saying "he who laughs last,laughs the longest"

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

A nice little quote from the thread I linked above: Boris Johnson is the first prime minister to have been found by a court to have misled a king or queen.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

He should now head straight to Dover jump off the cliff and tell us if the crash landing hurts preferably handcuffed to Farage and whispering Jeremy ????  

The tower is more local , off Dover would have enviromental impact .

We know how sensitive the National Press are on these issues..

We really do not want to disturb , the seagulls mating habits , not for this clown , our prime minister ..

3 minutes ago, elliss said:

The tower is more local , off Dover would have enviromental impact .

We really do not want to disturb , the seagulls mating habits , not for that clown ...

He said he would prefer a ditch.  

12 minutes ago, elliss said:

Typo error , do you mean Alexandra ? , Post number 2..  I wont grouse about it .

Welcome back.. 555

I meant what I said. While I am able to communicate with the great Grouse, I'm not him. 

Unfortunately as he is one good debater who is greatly missed on this forum.

Good discussions require people who are willing to be honest of what they say. Those people are rare.

1 minute ago, elliss said:

Beggars cant be choosers , the Tower ...

It would demean the Tower.  The Tower is for genuine traitors of grand ambition, not ambitious fraudsters, idiots or clowns like you and I and the current tenant at No. 10

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Boris could just ignore them, like the Remainers have been ignoring Withdrawal legislation for the last few years.
The HOC is not sitting and a scotchy court means nothing in the real world anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry. There is no ignoring the will of the people. 

So this is what No Deal would mean thank God to those who I hope have prevented it those in power who would wish it are the real traitors. Yellowhammer predicts food shortages, medical shortages for both humans and animals, no clean water but only for "up to 100,000's" , so no biggie (whew), public disorder and violent clashes at sea overfishing. Among much else. Plus something so scary they had to blank it out. Completely insane for a country to do this to itself. Not to mention over 400 pages are missing in "public" version.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

40 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Bias Scotland , grounds for an Appeal.

Besides that, it is the queen who makes the act and ultimately responsible, which was taken under the advise of the privy council NOT the PM alone. 

1 Its not legally binding just deemed unlawful. 

2 It was a civil court and case thus has no power in London or over the UK

3 The court and finding as a ruling  also declined to rule overturning Prorogation.

4 Parliament will not reopen and the appeal will not be heard until next week anyway.

5 The Supreme court in London WILL overturn the ruling...why ? because it is the Queens decision not the PM, no court in the land can overturn her decision. 

5 The supreme court Justice IS the Queens privy council and is NOT going to hold the queen accountable or bring her decision into disrepute. That would be unthinkable. 

6 From next week parties conferences will be happening for 3 weeks or so anyway and no political party is cancelling its usual annual holidays for that. So

Its a nothing burger cooked up by the SNP and remain cohorts for optics nothing more.

11 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Scots Law is sovereign - my understanding is that regardless of any difference of opinion in the Supreme Court, the decision today cannot be overruled. 

This thread sheds a little light on those differences, but we seem to be in very uncharted territory at the moment. 

EDIT: I have read a bit more regarding court supremacy and now seem more confused than ever. What I think (but very happy to be corrected if wrong) is that the Supreme Court is above all the courts in the land, but that they rule in accordance with the law of the court in question. Therefore the appeal to the Supreme Court will be that the Scots judges made an incorrect decision under Scots law. 

A nice little quote from the thread I linked above: Boris Johnson is the first prime minister to have been found by a court to have misled a king or queen.

It's complicated, but the Supreme Court, which is due to adjudicate on three separate cases related to the prorogation, apparently has the authority to overturn the decision of the Scottish judges.

Usually, the Supreme Court would take months to decide issues of this magnitude and there is a possibility that all three the actions could be overtaken by political events which could render them moot.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings - and the band is still tuning up.

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/parliament-prorogation-case-to-go-supreme-court

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

More SNP tail wagging the dog ????

Under our constitution this is utter baloney as presumably will shortly become clear.

Key phrase: The UK government said it will appeal against the ruling to the Supreme Court in London.

You mean like TM and Article 50, how did that appeal go.

The Supreme Court are between a rock and a hard place. Overturn the verdict and they risk it going to the ECJ and almost certainly fuel the fire on independence.

Normally the rule of law would prevail but in this case it is more an interpretation on the rule of law based on intent, making it more of a judgement call.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

E.U. welcome  them  as soon as possible.... ,mean time same way as Norway 

So now you speak for the whole of the 27 EU countries. Only Merkel can do that!

Even though its a little dated (see below) that's because, nobody questions it. They would have to join the queue and the Euro and then you would have another free loader. The price of clogs really need to increase so you can contribute more to the EU.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/european-commission-independent-scotland-would-have-join-queue/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-eu-independence-referendum-scotland-join-queue-membership-apply-a7627201.html

16 hours ago, evadgib said:

More SNP tail wagging the dog ????

Under our constitution this is utter baloney as presumably will shortly become clear.

Key phrase: The UK government said it will appeal against the ruling to the Supreme Court in London.

Please explain why you believe that this is utter baloney under our constitution?

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So now you speak for the whole of the 27 EU countries. Only Merkel can do that!

Even though its a little dated (see below) that's because, nobody questions it. They would have to join the queue and the Euro and then you would have another free loader. The price of clogs really need to increase so you can contribute more to the EU.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/10/european-commission-independent-scotland-would-have-join-queue/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-eu-independence-referendum-scotland-join-queue-membership-apply-a7627201.html

The EU via Tusk (who refused to meet Sturgeon) and Juncker (who met her out of politeness) made it very clear that the UK is a member of the EU, currently planning to leave. Scotland, should it leave the UK before the UK leaves the EU, will cease to be a member. An independent Scotland could apply to join the EU but would have to meet all the criteria, including financial criteria, and plan to adopt the Euro once the criteria was met. Scotland would have great difficulty meeting all the financial and budgetary criteria quickly. Should they do so at some point, once in they could play the game Sweden has been playing to avoid the Euro. Scotland by the way, would not have a currency should it leave the UK unless the UK allowed continued use of the GBP or Scotland tried to introduce one.

Hopefully those Scots who accepted Sturgeons rhetoric and Bull <deleted> without question may now start realizing she's about as truthful as Boris!

Archived