Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

snoop1130

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said.

LOL. That's rich!

If I were to "perceive (Thai Buddhism) in a negative light," it wouldn't be because of some harmless mural: it would be because of the glaring contradiction between the actual tenets of Buddhism and the singular obsession with money and status which practically defines Thai society.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:05 AM, Emdog said:

"In form is emptiness and emptiness form"

This world is illusion, Maya.

"Suffering comes from attachment" and that includes attachment to Buddha and images, etc.

Those "defenders of the faith" don't know even the most basic "truths" of Buddhism.

Hammer --> nail --> head.

16 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

LOL. That's rich!

If I were to "perceive (Thai Buddhism) in a negative light," it wouldn't be because of some harmless mural: it would be because of the glaring contradiction between the actual tenets of Buddhism and the singular obsession with money and status which practically defines Thai society.

Oh boy! Are you leaving yourself open to a massive tirad on what's what and what isn't. 

3 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Yes, nice comparison from the Life of Brian which from the Western point of views is hilarious. 

Everything in life has  Good and Bad side. Whether you are able to see them or not, they are there, and to those who can see, can use them to their advantage.

You can say anything good or bad to everything if you really want to. But in choosing, that is how your life becomes. 

You can see the bad side of religion and decide to have none. or you can see the good side and have one.

With religion you have a shelter to rest your soul in bad time or you have nothing in your bad time, except yourself which is at the time weak and helpless.

Life is about choice but there are reasons why you choose, even to turn left or right when you leave home. Going left or right your life experience will not be the same for sure.

QUOTE: With religion you have a shelter to rest your soul in bad time

This is my fundamental objection to buddhism, even to 100% pure buddhism, (without the Asian nonsense).

Faced with injustice, what should a buddhist do? Accept it, sheltering their soul in an imaginary world, and most definetely, not act against the injustice.

Exactly what fundamentalist christians would say, "your eternal reward will be waiting for you".

As a matter of fact, this is true for all fundamentalist ideologies, including religions, marxism and fachism.

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: With religion you have a shelter to rest your soul in bad time

This is my fundamental objection to buddhism, even to 100% pure buddhism, (without the Asian nonsense).

Faced with injustice, what should a buddhist do? Accept it, sheltering their soul in an imaginary world, and most definetely, not act against the injustice.

Exactly what fundamentalist christians would say, "your eternal reward will be waiting for you".

As a matter of fact, this is true for all fundamentalist ideologies, including religions, marxism and fachism.

Do you know how Vietnam war started and ended?

As if the in-between never happened, all those several millions of lives lost needlessly because in the end it just as the beginning where the Vietcong rules.

Accepting is not all bad.  Christian saying In God we trust, that trust is your shelter in time of trouble and it works only if you have belief.

In fact, it doesn't have to be god, it can be a tree or anything if you belief in it. It will help you. It's just a psychological reason.

In Buddhism it is about cause and effect, so your shelter is a logic of what you have been doing in your life that will shelter you.

When an injustice happens people only look at what is happening without thinking of what has been happening before that. Often there are a lot going on before the injustice. There is the teaching of "Cause and effect" which may explain the injustice. You may say you have done nothing but you just come across a bad person who does you wrong. How you come across that person, why you are there at that time surely can be explained. There are things about you that brought you to that situation.

They may say your previous life has something to do with it because they run out of answers (I think). I do not believe in previous life, so I say sometimes it is accidental, like any accident for example; when a bird drops a piece stone on your head and kills you. 

You can choose to fight against it ( it is not right or wrong, it is just the way it is when the condition is right ) and create reaction to an action which begins the never ending chain of life or the cycle of never ending karma. You react to it, they react to you, back and forth, on to eternity.

The teaching is that one of you stop and the circle ended.

Whatever they do will come back to them. If you live long enough, you will see that this is true.

Bad people can only surround themselves with bad people and all things bad and that is how they live.

A saying; Killing Hurts the Killer, not the Killed.

8 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Who wants to know and why would you want to know it?

Sorry contestant number 1. The judges tell me that's not the answer they were looking for. The correct response would have been: "I don't know" or they would have also accepted, "how could anyone know except the person involved". Thanks for playing. Our lovely assistant will now drag you to the bridge of death and toss you into the gorge of eternal peril.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Sorry contestant number 1. The judges tell me that's not the answer they were looking for. The correct response would have been: "I don't know" or they would have also accepted, "how could anyone know except the person involved". Thanks for playing. Our lovely assistant will now drag you to the bridge of death and toss you into the gorge of eternal peril.

Nice trying. Evil like you can not hide for long, can you?

On 9/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, snoop1130 said:

He also said there is no way the student could have done this on her own, as it requires a lot of money to get the paintings displayed in a shopping mall.

Why would it cost a painter a lot of money to display painting in a mall unless they were specifically for sale?

Mother Nature can paint a Definition of Karma... for free!

dQbi2U8.jpg

The two cars legally parked within the lines were fine, with the trees falling between them.

And the black car illegally parked at the bottom of the image?

Well… It wasn’t so lucky.

Archived