Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

snoop1130

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said.

I'm not offended by the paintings at all... peoples feelings towards art is subjective and should remain so.

However I am offended by all blatant money laundering & hypocrites who spout Buddhism but are the biggest con merchants on earth...

Thais should spend more time cleaning up their own houses, including the Buddhist temples and their personnel and the vast wealth they seem to accrue, plus deal with the blatant corruption everywhere . Then can they honestly deal with possible insults relating to this depiction of Buddha, as a farang I get insulted almost daily but water off a ducks back I say . Pity Thais are unable to do that, pathetic. 

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

'Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said.'

Any religion that goes fundamental will be perceived in a very negative light. Seems Thai buddhism is going that way. Buddha would probably kick their <deleted> for idiocy.

What Tourists ??? … Do they mean the ones who never leave the airport and get a connecting flight out but at the same time boost the visitor figures... Oh they might have read about it.... I would push a case that the lawyer bringing the case has highlighted the issue and is in breach more than the artist ;o)"

"Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said."

I think the foreign visitors are more likely to perceive Thailand in a bad light due to the lack of freedom of expression, than these paintings, as freedom of expression and the creativity which it inspires is culturally embedded in many foreign countries. 

I never thought an opinion or assumption was any legal basis for laying charges against someone. Do the people making these charges have any evidence of this assertion or do they just think that as they feel the same - millions of people who they have never even met, must feel the same too? 

Buddha taught extensively about the importance of practicing truth in one's daily life, no matter the cost. He also taught humility, which in essence is the polar opposite of the practice of face, where how I am perceived is examined under a microscope, and considered endlessly. He also taught of the need to spend time daily in contemplation and meditation. The concept of meditation was taught as being necessary in order to avoid petty personalization of perceived slights, and to maintain humility and perspective. (in Thai การทำสมาธิ or Kār thả s̄māṭhi).

The vast majority of those now complaining about the depiction of Buddha as a superhero here, are not practicing the teachings, as prescribed by the prophet, and ignoring most of the precepts, which are the very foundation of the faith. What percentage of these ninnies do you suppose are spending even 15 minutes a day practicing the most fundamental aspect of Buddha's teaching, which is the daily practice of meditation and contemplation? Going up to an altar and offering flowers and fruit can be considered an act of devotion, if one possesses the right frame of mind. But, that is not the true practice of the faith. That is barely scratching the surface of the faith and teachings. 

This abbot should be given credit for realizing that forgiving and overlooking a perceived slight, is a part of the essence of what the great Master taught. 

Nobody knows what mister buddha looked like, as his first followers observed his (alleged) teachings and made no images of him.

Also nobody knows what he said, since it was all written down hundreds of years later.

But surely mister buddha did not look like the image that is used worlwide - that picture was a Greek artist's invention.......

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Nobody knows what mister buddha looked like, as his first followers observed his (alleged) teachings and made no images of him.

Also nobody knows what he said, since it was all written down hundreds of years later.

But surely mister buddha did not look like the image that is used worlwide - that picture was a Greek artist's invention.......

Probably looked Indian. Might not go down that well with the local hoi polloi so a Greek god fits the bill for good old statue worship.

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

What about your other wife?. The non Thai one ?

My mistake 'Reigntax', I should have written 'my wife of Thai origin', married for over 15 years, officially wedded in Thailand and in my home country, where she has become the nationality of.

And another mistake of mine: I thought you were not 'that kind' of a Farang...

19 hours ago, bangrak said:

My Thai wife is a true Buddhist, ...she avoids temples and monks as much as she can.

I must be a Buddhist as well, although I avoid ALL religions, there all just a screen to do what you want and hide behind. Makes me laugh when they think a Wai solves everything. "No religion No problems". I wonder how many Thai people actually follow the Buddhist teachings...not a lot I think going by the reported shootings, stabbings, wife beatings robberies and kiddie fiddling and more. This applies to ALL religions, Just my views. Regards.

Don't underestimate Thai mania! When the king Rama 9 was alive, people were lynched for saying bad things about him.

To the Buddhists these pictures display insults.

Comparing what is sacred to a modern day gimmick is quite ridiculous. It just shows how substandard the education is.

The painter is one of those young students these days who has no concept of the word "Respect".

20 hours ago, drrobert said:

I am in Nepal and fly Buddha Airlines. I wonder what would happen if they flew to Thailand!

Since Thailand owns the world wide rights to Buddha and everything he said, I’d wager they would get into trouble. The Buddha belongs to Thailand.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Wouldn't that be the same with the images of Christ? Images according to artists' imaginary so long as they are divine.

But, for what the Buddha said, people know for sure because before the Buddha's teachings were written down, all monks must learn all that by heart and through many generations this rule was kept.

47 minutes ago, southcoast said:

I must be a Buddhist as well, although I avoid ALL religions, there all just a screen to do what you want and hide behind. Makes me laugh when they think a Wai solves everything. "No religion No problems". I wonder how many Thai people actually follow the Buddhist teachings...not a lot I think going by the reported shootings, stabbings, wife beatings robberies and kiddie fiddling and more. This applies to ALL religions, Just my views. Regards.

I don't know who told you a Wai can solve everything. Nothing is as simple as that. It would be nice if it were.

Religions are shelters for people who believe in them. No religion No shelter in time of trouble. 

Many Thai Buddhists are non practising Buddhists. But they all run for the shelter they believe in every time they are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Perhaps2more said:

Don't underestimate Thai mania! When the king Rama 9 was alive, people were lynched for saying bad things about him.

To the Buddhists these pictures display insults.

Comparing what is sacred to a modern day gimmick is quite ridiculous. It just shows how substandard the education is.

The painter is one of those young students these days who has no concept of the word "Respect".

'To the Buddhists these pictures display insults'

'The painter is one of those young students these days who has no concept of the word "Respect'

And therein lies the problem as anybody with even the most basic knowledge of Buddhism knows this reaction is the polar opposite of Buddhist teachings

Trouble is through ignorance the overwhelming majority of Thai Buddhists have no idea about true Buddhist teachings, if they had even a basic knowledge then this case would be yet another none story and completely irrelevant. The whole sorry saga has absolutely <deleted> all about respect or lack thereof 

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Just in case somebody doubts that the buddha image is Greek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

Since no one really knows what the Lord Buddha really looked like, these are as close as you can probably get.  Most definitely, he probably looked Nepali or Indian. 

23 hours ago, moe666 said:

I think this group of outraged folks have there priorities out of wack, take a look at all of the coruupt monks, for a start. Do something about the monks who smoke, do drugs and anyother crime one can concieve of. Going after a young girl for a piece of art is nothing but bullying

It's not bullying, it's out and out stupidity. 

10 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

"Religion poisons everything!"

C. Hitchens

These silly people should get rid of their holier- than- thou- <deleted> and go on with their lives!

...like the Buddha most likely would have done!

Thai culture is so far from buddhist teachings...didn't Lord Buddha even say "question everything, even what I say". Thais are taught not to question anyone considered superior to them. I don't see a lot of genuine Buddhists here; it is in stark contrast to Thai culture. 

8 hours ago, mark131v said:

To the Buddhists these pictures display insults'

'The painter is one of those young students these days who has no concept of the word "Respect'

And therein lies the problem as anybody with even the most basic knowledge of Buddhism knows this reaction is the polar opposite of Buddhist teachings

Trouble is through ignorance the overwhelming majority of Thai Buddhists have no idea about true Buddhist teachings, if they had even a basic knowledge then this case would be yet another none story and completely irrelevant. The whole sorry saga has absolutely <deleted> all about respect or lack thereof 

Knowing and practising in Buddhism are not the same. Most Thai people know all the basic knowledge but it is not easy to practise.

You are expecting enlightenment in ordinary people. It is not possible otherwise Thailand would be a very different place where most people would rather be elsewhere. No sex, no alcohol and drugs, You wouldn't want them to really practise Buddhism, would you?

Talking about ordinary people, of course, they are upset when someone is taking what is sacred to them and turns that into American comic. It is disrespectful. Besides, the art work is quite amateurish. 

10 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Knowing and practising in Buddhism are not the same. Most Thai people know all the basic knowledge but it is not easy to practise.

You are expecting enlightenment in ordinary people. It is not possible otherwise Thailand would be a very different place where most people would rather be elsewhere. No sex, no alcohol and drugs, You wouldn't want them to really practise Buddhism, would you?

Talking about ordinary people, of course, they are upset when someone is taking what is sacred to them and turns that into American comic. It is disrespectful. Besides, the art work is quite amateurish. 

Yaaaawn...….

Why are you making excuses? stupid is as stupid does in the immortal words of Forrest Gump.....probably...!?

If most Thais have the BASIC knowledge they know that this is nonsense, 2 options they either have basic knowledge or no knowledge other than the adulterated version they are taught here

Appears to be no knowledge, wish I was surprised.....

Archived