Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

snoop1130

This may come as a surprise to some, but in my 12 years here, I haven't seen any Buddhism at all.  I have seen a lot of Hinduism, including belief in reincarnation and worship of Ganeesh, the Hindu elephant god.  I have seen Thais worshiping Buddha images, but that goes directly against the teachings of Buddha, so that doesn't count.  I have seen 100's of fancy temples, but the Buddha, himself, taught that seeking such aggrandizement was not the right path.  He had his meetings out under a tree.   That makes "Buddhist temple" an oxymoron.  There is a lot of animism, spirits in land, houses, cars, etc.   But Buddhism?  Nobody has a clue.  Even the most of the monks, chanting in Pali, can't even translate what they are chanting into Thai.  It is the blind leading the blind and they have all lost their way.  What would the Buddha say?

I do not know what these complaining monks are, but they are certainly anything BUT Buddhist.

I am remembering the uproar when that artist in the West made a rendering of the Virgin Mary from cow feces a few years ago.  It ended up being defended s freedom of expression.  I suppose that would get you the death penalty here.

This whole affair makes me think of the Spanish Inquisition.  While easy to just dismiss, it is actually kind of scary to think of these zealots demanding arrests and punishment for somebody else's harmless personal expression.  Show me the injury; there isn't any.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said.

I'm not offended by the paintings at all... peoples feelings towards art is subjective and should remain so.

However I am offended by all blatant money laundering & hypocrites who spout Buddhism but are the biggest con merchants on earth...

Thais should spend more time cleaning up their own houses, including the Buddhist temples and their personnel and the vast wealth they seem to accrue, plus deal with the blatant corruption everywhere . Then can they honestly deal with possible insults relating to this depiction of Buddha, as a farang I get insulted almost daily but water off a ducks back I say . Pity Thais are unable to do that, pathetic. 

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

'Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said.'

Any religion that goes fundamental will be perceived in a very negative light. Seems Thai buddhism is going that way. Buddha would probably kick their <deleted> for idiocy.

What Tourists ??? … Do they mean the ones who never leave the airport and get a connecting flight out but at the same time boost the visitor figures... Oh they might have read about it.... I would push a case that the lawyer bringing the case has highlighted the issue and is in breach more than the artist ;o)"

No wonder Prayut can get away with murder when the country is up in arms over such trivial affairs. Keep the mob distracted, whether it's football, soap operas, gender and sexual orientation issues, religion etc. Same same everywhere. 

"Thailand has millions of foreign visitors every year, and they could perceive the religion in a negative light due to these paintings, he said."

I think the foreign visitors are more likely to perceive Thailand in a bad light due to the lack of freedom of expression, than these paintings, as freedom of expression and the creativity which it inspires is culturally embedded in many foreign countries. 

I never thought an opinion or assumption was any legal basis for laying charges against someone. Do the people making these charges have any evidence of this assertion or do they just think that as they feel the same - millions of people who they have never even met, must feel the same too? 

Buddha taught extensively about the importance of practicing truth in one's daily life, no matter the cost. He also taught humility, which in essence is the polar opposite of the practice of face, where how I am perceived is examined under a microscope, and considered endlessly. He also taught of the need to spend time daily in contemplation and meditation. The concept of meditation was taught as being necessary in order to avoid petty personalization of perceived slights, and to maintain humility and perspective. (in Thai การทำสมาธิ or Kār thả s̄māṭhi).

The vast majority of those now complaining about the depiction of Buddha as a superhero here, are not practicing the teachings, as prescribed by the prophet, and ignoring most of the precepts, which are the very foundation of the faith. What percentage of these ninnies do you suppose are spending even 15 minutes a day practicing the most fundamental aspect of Buddha's teaching, which is the daily practice of meditation and contemplation? Going up to an altar and offering flowers and fruit can be considered an act of devotion, if one possesses the right frame of mind. But, that is not the true practice of the faith. That is barely scratching the surface of the faith and teachings. 

This abbot should be given credit for realizing that forgiving and overlooking a perceived slight, is a part of the essence of what the great Master taught. 

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

The real problem with this is that the "art" looks like it was done by a 12 year old.  The "artists" should go to Mecca and try there.

And who are you to determine what "art" is?

It's AAArdvark...not Artfark!

Archived