BANGKOK
snoop1130

Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

Nobody knows what mister buddha looked like, as his first followers observed his (alleged) teachings and made no images of him.

Also nobody knows what he said, since it was all written down hundreds of years later.

But surely mister buddha did not look like the image that is used worlwide - that picture was a Greek artist's invention.......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Nobody knows what mister buddha looked like, as his first followers observed his (alleged) teachings and made no images of him.

Also nobody knows what he said, since it was all written down hundreds of years later.

But surely mister buddha did not look like the image that is used worlwide - that picture was a Greek artist's invention.......

Probably looked Indian. Might not go down that well with the local hoi polloi so a Greek god fits the bill for good old statue worship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

What about your other wife?. The non Thai one ?

My mistake 'Reigntax', I should have written 'my wife of Thai origin', married for over 15 years, officially wedded in Thailand and in my home country, where she has become the nationality of.

And another mistake of mine: I thought you were not 'that kind' of a Farang...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bangrak said:

My Thai wife is a true Buddhist, ...she avoids temples and monks as much as she can.

I must be a Buddhist as well, although I avoid ALL religions, there all just a screen to do what you want and hide behind. Makes me laugh when they think a Wai solves everything. "No religion No problems". I wonder how many Thai people actually follow the Buddhist teachings...not a lot I think going by the reported shootings, stabbings, wife beatings robberies and kiddie fiddling and more. This applies to ALL religions, Just my views. Regards.

• Like 2

Don't underestimate Thai mania! When the king Rama 9 was alive, people were lynched for saying bad things about him.

To the Buddhists these pictures display insults.

Comparing what is sacred to a modern day gimmick is quite ridiculous. It just shows how substandard the education is.

The painter is one of those young students these days who has no concept of the word "Respect".

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Wouldn't that be the same with the images of Christ? Images according to artists' imaginary so long as they are divine.

But, for what the Buddha said, people know for sure because before the Buddha's teachings were written down, all monks must learn all that by heart and through many generations this rule was kept.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, southcoast said:

I must be a Buddhist as well, although I avoid ALL religions, there all just a screen to do what you want and hide behind. Makes me laugh when they think a Wai solves everything. "No religion No problems". I wonder how many Thai people actually follow the Buddhist teachings...not a lot I think going by the reported shootings, stabbings, wife beatings robberies and kiddie fiddling and more. This applies to ALL religions, Just my views. Regards.

I don't know who told you a Wai can solve everything. Nothing is as simple as that. It would be nice if it were.

Religions are shelters for people who believe in them. No religion No shelter in time of trouble. 

Many Thai Buddhists are non practising Buddhists. But they all run for the shelter they believe in every time they are in trouble. 

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Just in case somebody doubts that the buddha image is Greek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

Since no one really knows what the Lord Buddha really looked like, these are as close as you can probably get.  Most definitely, he probably looked Nepali or Indian. 

23 hours ago, moe666 said:

I think this group of outraged folks have there priorities out of wack, take a look at all of the coruupt monks, for a start. Do something about the monks who smoke, do drugs and anyother crime one can concieve of. Going after a young girl for a piece of art is nothing but bullying

It's not bullying, it's out and out stupidity. 

• Like 1