BANGKOK
snoop1130

Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

8 hours ago, mark131v said:

To the Buddhists these pictures display insults'

'The painter is one of those young students these days who has no concept of the word "Respect'

And therein lies the problem as anybody with even the most basic knowledge of Buddhism knows this reaction is the polar opposite of Buddhist teachings

Trouble is through ignorance the overwhelming majority of Thai Buddhists have no idea about true Buddhist teachings, if they had even a basic knowledge then this case would be yet another none story and completely irrelevant. The whole sorry saga has absolutely <deleted> all about respect or lack thereof 

Knowing and practising in Buddhism are not the same. Most Thai people know all the basic knowledge but it is not easy to practise.

You are expecting enlightenment in ordinary people. It is not possible otherwise Thailand would be a very different place where most people would rather be elsewhere. No sex, no alcohol and drugs, You wouldn't want them to really practise Buddhism, would you?

Talking about ordinary people, of course, they are upset when someone is taking what is sacred to them and turns that into American comic. It is disrespectful. Besides, the art work is quite amateurish. 

10 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Knowing and practising in Buddhism are not the same. Most Thai people know all the basic knowledge but it is not easy to practise.

You are expecting enlightenment in ordinary people. It is not possible otherwise Thailand would be a very different place where most people would rather be elsewhere. No sex, no alcohol and drugs, You wouldn't want them to really practise Buddhism, would you?

Talking about ordinary people, of course, they are upset when someone is taking what is sacred to them and turns that into American comic. It is disrespectful. Besides, the art work is quite amateurish. 

Yaaaawn...….

Why are you making excuses? stupid is as stupid does in the immortal words of Forrest Gump.....probably...!?

If most Thais have the BASIC knowledge they know that this is nonsense, 2 options they either have basic knowledge or no knowledge other than the adulterated version they are taught here

Appears to be no knowledge, wish I was surprised.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Yaaaawn...….

Why are you making excuses? stupid is as stupid does in the immortal words of Forrest Gump.....probably...!?

If most Thais have the BASIC knowledge they know that this is nonsense, 2 options they either have basic knowledge or no knowledge other than the adulterated version they are taught here

True!

The only good thing that can be said about Thai buddhism, is that they did not start civil wars, unlike the Sri Lankan and Myanmar versions of buddhism.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

Thai culture is so far from buddhist teachings...didn't Lord Buddha even say "question everything, even what I say". Thais are taught not to question anyone considered superior to them. I don't see a lot of genuine Buddhists here; it is in stark contrast to Thai culture. 

The Buddha also talks about many levels of understanding, comparing to a lotus in the mud, above the mud but under water, level with water, and above water. Not all Buddhists are above water. People are like that in every religion. There are a lot of Buddhist teachings in Thai culture if you care to think of it. The community you are with may not be the norm, perhaps?

3 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

The Buddha also talks about many levels of understanding, comparing to a lotus in the mud, above the mud but under water, level with water, and above water. Not all Buddhists are above water. People are like that in every religion. There are a lot of Buddhist teachings in Thai culture if you care to think of it. The community you are with may not be the norm, perhaps?

Can you give me 1 example of a country or culture or community that even vaguely applies buddhist principles?

Perhaps some wishy washy third agers in some farang town, that discovered buddhism after a life of drug abuse? Come to think of it, they are probably closest to what mister buddha alledgedly said.

16 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Yaaaawn...….

Interesting that you can not understand the knowing and practising are not the same. I am sure most Thai know the basic of not to kill and the non attachment but how many can practise these teaching. I do not see many Christians can practise the teaching of Christ either. You are not saying they do not know Christ's teaching.

Why would you see fact as an excuse? I did not offer reasons for people to excuse the situation. You have no right to excuse them because you are not a Buddhist. I don't think you have any belief either. That is your choice, it does not mean you are right and those who have their belief are wrong. 

When what they believe to be sacred was made into a gimmick, it is not difficult to understand their feeling of anger. I am sure people in the Vatican will be just as angry if someone painted Christ as an ape.

It is about respect to other people's belief. Not an excuse. ... But what do you know or care ?

1 minute ago, Perhaps2more said:

Interesting that you can not understand the knowing and practising are not the same. I am sure most Thai know the basic of not to kill and the non attachment but how many can practise these teaching. I do not see many Christians can practise the teaching of Christ either. You are not saying they do not know Christ's teaching.

Why would you see fact as an excuse? I did not offer reasons for people to excuse the situation. You have no right to excuse them because you are not a Buddhist. I don't think you have any belief either. That is your choice, it does not mean you are right and those who have their belief are wrong. 

When what they believe to be sacred was made into a gimmick, it is not difficult to understand their feeling of anger. I am sure people in the Vatican will be just as angry if someone painted Christ as an ape.

It is about respect to other people's belief. Not an excuse. ... But what do you know or care ?

Did you read the OP? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Can you give me 1 example of a country or culture or community that even vaguely applies buddhist principles?

Perhaps some wishy washy third agers in some farang town, that discovered buddhism after a life of drug abuse? Come to think of it, they are probably closest to what mister buddha alledgedly said.

Doesn't it show with a question like that? Obviously, you know nothing but want to judge the subject of Buddhism. Buddhist principles, many principles and you can not see one country, community or culture the even vaguely applies some of these principles. You must be either blind or senseless.

What the Buddha allegedly said to you is what the Buddha said to the Buddhists, because all the teachings were learnt by heart as a rule for all monks before all were written down. 

It is quite ridiculous when a non Buddhist trying to be discourteous to Buddhism. Go on show yourself up.

18 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Can we agree that the discrepancy between theory and practice applies to all dogmatic thinking, including religions, marxism, free market theory etc?

Can we agree that this discrepancy is a matter of hypocrisy?

Can we agree that outsiders have the right to denounce this hypocrisy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Can we agree that the discrepancy between theory and practice applies to all dogmatic thinking, including religions, marxism, free market theory etc?

Can we agree that this discrepancy is a matter of hypocrisy?

Can we agree that outsiders have the right to denounce this hypocrisy?

1) Buddhism is about understanding nature and finding peace. Whether you can practise it or not is another matter.

The Principle of nature always remains the same. Understand unhappiness and what are the causes of unhappiness is important.

The ways to deal with unhappiness lead to the enlightenment.

In advance psychology many of its theories are Buddhist principles. 

Buddhism is not the same as other religions because it does not have God. The Buddha is a teacher.

Buddhism is about the fact of life, personal peace, not the world peace or those theories you mentioned. It is not worldly but personally.

2) Hypocrisy is a word that has nothing to do with Wisdom. Understanding nature of all things is Wisdom.

3) Outsiders should never interfere with anything that has nothing to do with them. It is not the way to peace.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

All I can see in religions (and political dogmatism) is rituals, nothing of essence.

Why don't you learn about Buddhist teaching? It is a practical science. You have to do it to understand it. When they teach about Giving, people do not want to give, most people want to keep, but if you give you will psychologically feel that you have more than you actually have that is why you can afford to give.

Rituals are for people without understanding, its attraction is useful in keeping these people close to to the temple.

The essence is in the teaching not the rituals.

"there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (Shakespeare)

A very Buddhist teaching, The teaching even splits the action into the ability to see, the object to be seen, and the space in between.

Only when you attach your thought to the object, that is when the good or bad come to be.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mark131v said:

3) Outsiders should never interfere with anything that has nothing to do with them. It is not the way to peace.

Somethings are absolutely shocking!

Bloody hell stupidity is very, very common, <deleted>in gobsmacked but not particularly shocked unfortunately......

Obviously, it is beyond your ability to understand.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Obviously, it is beyond your ability to understand.

Possibly.....

• Haha 1