Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Talking about ordinary people, of course, they are upset when someone is taking what is sacred to them and turns that into American comic. It is disrespectful. Besides, the art work is quite amateurish.

Disrespect like art is in the eye of the beholder disrespect was not the artist's intention only the perception of some.One of the artist works has sold for 600,000 baht ($30,000 AUD)which is hardly amateurish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The girls an artist. Shes got far more talent than anyone thats harassing her. Hope she moves abroad and paints more provocative stuff.

I guess she aint Buddhist now!😂🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

By pointing out the essence of Buddhism in your posts. ie, That attachment is suffering. You are proving the point everyone is making, Why are people offended by the painting? Because they fail in their personal peace. It is not Buddhism that is being criticized in these posts, but the misapplication of it. The offended people are upset because they are not practicing what they have been taught.

Wouldn't it be nice if you would read previous comments before saying the same thing as everyone else?

" Knowing and practising are not the same things."

How many Catholic priests are really practising the teaching of Christ when they abuse altar boys?

Isn't it silly to expect every Buddhist to really do it in practice.

How easy do you think to let things be and accept whatever come to you? Most of them are only learners.

It is a very basic of good social etiquette to not doing anything discourteous to what is sacred to other people.  

The reaction to the painter is quite normal of human being all over the world. You would be lying if you expected Thai people to be different.

 

It is personal, so it is up to each individual. So far, you condemned all Thai Buddhists when the fact is only a small group of people who are not accepting the apology from the painter. Most people accepted the apology and let the painter be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Disrespect like art is in the eye of the beholder disrespect was not the artist's intention only the perception of some.One of the artist works has sold for 600,000 baht ($30,000 AUD)which is hardly amateurish.

When a Chinese tourist let her child defecate in front of a shop in Bond street, she had no intention to upset any British person but it was reported in many newspapers and many Brits condemned the Chinese woman. Intention and Outcome, each has its own effects. 

Do you really think the painter has good ability in her work? Art works sell for many reasons. A piece of rope that was used to hang an infamous person can be sold for a lot of money. So far a pickled goat sold for a million dollars but at least Damien Hirst can do other art works beautifully.

I am sure that you are wise enough to know the price does not reflect the ability of the artist? Or may be I am wrong.

Edited by Perhaps2more
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 8:09 PM, mark131v said:

Seems like Buddhism has a very different message in LoS

The message is very clear, Armed  forces  Police and "religion"  all vying for their share of control of the pie, anything but the  fairly elected  people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Most people accepted the apology

There is  no need for an apology, the  person taking offence should be apologising in this  case.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chazar said:

There is  no need for an apology, the  person taking offence should be apologising in this  case.

She apologized officially but you may do whatever you think is best for her, because you probably understand the society she has been living in better than she is capable of.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The only good thing that can be said about Thai buddhism, is that they did not start civil wars, unlike the Sri Lankan and Myanmar versions of buddhism.

Yeah well.. how's the south of Thailand these days? Ok not among themselves, give it some time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...Lord  Buddha is involved in reality?--let Lord Buddha fix it not people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Wouldn't it be nice if you would read previous comments before saying the same thing as everyone else?

" Knowing and practising are not the same things."

How many Catholic priests are really practising the teaching of Christ when they abuse altar boys?

Isn't it silly to expect every Buddhist to really do it in practice.

How easy do you think to let things be and accept whatever come to you? Most of them are only learners.

It is a very basic of good social etiquette to not doing anything discourteous to what is sacred to other people.  

The reaction to the painter is quite normal of human being all over the world. You would be lying if you expected Thai people to be different.

 

It is personal, so it is up to each individual. So far, you condemned all Thai Buddhists when the fact is only a small group of people who are not accepting the apology from the painter. Most people accepted the apology and let the painter be.

We are pointing out the irony of defending a religion, whose main tenant is to not allow yourself to be offended, by being vocal and aggressive in your display of offense. If the priest in your analogy was claiming to practice Christianity by abusing children, then your analogy would be more accurate. But as it stands, it is not a very good analogy. And everyone would be quite angry about the priest regardless of his claims

 

Your next statement is curious. You are saying that Thais are only learners of Buddhism. I am not sure what you mean by learners, but considering this is most homogeneous Buddhist nation on earth, and the fact that they have had more than a millennia to get some fine tuning in, You would think that there would be some serious understanding and practice going on here. If not here, then where? Why should they get a pass? This is their jam after all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small people will pick small problem and show they can do something. This will become a big issue for small people found all over Thailand.

Brains the size of golf balls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

We are pointing out the irony of defending a religion, whose main tenant is to not allow yourself to be offended, by being vocal and aggressive in your display of offense. If the priest in your analogy was claiming to practice Christianity by abusing children, then your analogy would be more accurate. But as it stands, it is not a very good analogy. And everyone would be quite angry about the priest regardless of his claims

 

Your next statement is curious. You are saying that Thais are only learners of Buddhism. I am not sure what you mean by learners, but considering this is most homogeneous Buddhist nation on earth, and the fact that they have had more than a millennia to get some fine tuning in, You would think that there would be some serious understanding and practice going on here. If not here, then where? Why should they get a pass? This is their jam after all. 

I am not defending Buddhism. I am explaining reasons to these silly expectation people have of Thai Buddhists.

It is strange to me that usually most of the non-Asian visitors to Thailand look down, talk down to the local people. They are beneath your high standard of living.

Suddenly, for some reasons, you expect them all to be of high moral value and good Buddhists. Are you talking about the same people? 

 

The Christian priests: by definition, people will assume and expect them to be practising Christian teachings.

I didn't even mention the ordinary Christian people who no matter how serious they are, will not be able to get everything right.

You may be the only one to know otherwise. 

 

Buddhism is 2562 years old, Thailand is about 800 years old, each life starts always from the beginning regardless of how long their society has been going on, so what fine tuning in, are you talking about? 

With your logic there is no need to send children to primary school, after many generations, they should all start at university level?

 

I should repeat myself here, The Buddha talks about 4 levels of ability to understand, like a lotus in the mud, under water, level with water, and above water. You are expecting everyone to have the same ability which is illogical. I am sure many Thai Buddhists didn't bother with painting but they surely know it is a bad idea to have painted them because besides religion there is also cultural belief that Thai people live by. 

 

Every new life starts his or her journey and begin the learning process. They are all learners with different level of ability. When they become enlightened, they reach Nirvana, that is the end of learning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ylmiri said:

Small people will pick small problem and show they can do something. This will become a big issue for small people found all over Thailand.

Brains the size of golf balls.

Thank you. Your comment proved my point. Exactly this is how, many visitors to Thailand think of the locals.

And I assume you are foolish enough to expect them to like you back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...