Doing business In Thailand an absolute nightmare

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BestB said:

As I mentioned earlier, I did think of that. In case of seafood I think is the case . Too much to handle but to save face they just say no. 

Another little problem, shrimp to Oz has to be white spot free disease , many know it, and naturally do not want to admit their product will not pass Oz customs .

But in case of soybean oil , I do not think 1000 tins is an outrages number.

My seafood friend had a contact number in Thailand , he called them directly . According to him, he was abused , screamed at and hung up.

So he asked me to call. First day, no answer at all. Second day, guy answered and said he did not know but someone else will call back .

A day later , female called back and said her boyfriend has no idea about business.

So told her the requirements , she said she would do a quote and get back to me. This was 2 months ago .

tried to follow up, no answer. 

Saw as a guy post on Facebook advertising supply of lobster tails. Contacted him.  Was told 500 baht per piece . Told him I need 100kg , what is the price? Answer was he does not sell by the kilo, it’s 500 per piece . Ok, how much does a piece weigh?what size was his answer ? I do not know what sizes you have , small medium or large was his answer. Ok how many kg is small or medium or large. He does not weigh it  was his response 

where do you go from there ?????

Really, it;s not so hard to understand, you are annoying everybody with your questions, Thai and even people on this forum. Your way of doing business is wrong for Thailand, just accept it !

You want to buy lobsters ? you just go to the suppliers and buy everything he has that day, then you tell him that you want more the next day, and keep doing... then you will see that he will think about your seriously.

Planning and quoting is not the way to do business here, so just accept it and do not tell people here that we are wrong to know more than you !

17 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

If they're selling 10-20 boxes, what makes you think they have a supply of 10,000?

Why would they discount, they'll be sold at their normal price over time, what was the predicted retail price for the product in Australia? 

Sounds like a troll or someone that hasn't a clue. 

Boy, the voice of business acumen!

17 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

If they're selling 10-20 boxes, what makes you think they have a supply of 10,000?

Why would they discount, they'll be sold at their normal price over time, what was the predicted retail price for the product in Australia? 

Sounds like a troll or someone that hasn't a clue. 

Oh Boy, I know the one who has no clue.....you! 

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Really, it;s not so hard to understand, you are annoying everybody with your questions, Thai and even people on this forum. Your way of doing business is wrong for Thailand, just accept it !

You want to buy lobsters ? you just go to the suppliers and buy everything he has that day, then you tell him that you want more the next day, and keep doing... then you will see that he will think about your seriously.

Planning and quoting is not the way to do business here, so just accept it and do not tell people here that we are wrong to know more than you !

Yet another expert????

If you that "annoyed" skip it and go show off your knowledge and experience on another thread. 

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

you just landed ? what did you expect ?

sorry but this is why agent is a real job and you are not going to become one just because you decided.

and I wish you to speak Thai well also, or you can just give up now.

Let me guess, you speak fluent Thai and went to Uni for 6 years to become an agent?  Did you do internship as well? or only masters

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The OP must obviously be correct as his way of doing things is working so well. 

So far i have not seen you post your way, seen plenty of trolling posts but not a single one on how successful you are.

I guess one way to make yourself feel important is to throw cheap shots from the safety of computer screen

Give yourself a pat on the back, you really smart and achieved a lot today????

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

My guess is that you should do business the Thai way meaning meet with someone higher up the food chain, take them and colleagues or family out for a slap up meal pay for it then offer to cross their palm with silver and gifts..

..then ask for a price, (the Thai way)

also youmight be disadvantaged not being thai (just like your buddies favouring you as a supplier the Thais might have their own Thai/Chinese buddies)

1 thing that i always love is people who hear bells ringing but do not know where the noise comes from.

Backhanders are paid to get contracts awarded. If i put out a tender for a supplier, suppliers would be giving backhanders to get the deal.

Not other way around.

Unlike a number of experts commenting on this thread having no clue about business or ever working in Thailand, i have been living and working in Thailand for 2 decades and understand how business works here.

Even my staff,  thai, all  confused and frustrated saying "do not they want to sell"

There is big difference in running a business here which i have done for 2 decades and trying to do business on a larger scale.

Again, all you hear is exporters crying how business is bad, and yet this is how they treat potential buyers.

Sure if i was after few tins or few kilos and demanding huge discount, then totally understandable to tell me to f..off, but i am offering/looking for big deals and totally disinterested,

So if they do not need exports, why cry about decline in exports and blame the baht?

If they having doubts, why not ask for an email or face to face meeting? If order is too much for sales to handle, why not get a manager or owner to get involved?

Just like crying about tourism and wanting to be medical hub but then officially authorising dual pricing.

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Hmmmm, so if I call a shrimp vendor in Florida, I need to take his family out for dinner, offer a gift or two and then in a sly way ask for pricing?

OK got it.

Haha. That's not exactly how the Chinese do business. First, you must be introduced by someone that they knew. That's where the Bamboo Network plays its part. 

1 minute ago, Selatan said:

Haha. That's not exactly how the Chinese do business. First, you must be introduced by someone that they knew. That's where the Bamboo Network plays its part. 

If he was a seller then you would need to be introduced to get the deal, No one needs pushing or encouraging to take money.

Chinese would come in and undercut other supplier,Chinese buyer will not go to Chinese supplier and offer bribes so Chinese seller will sell to him

10 minutes ago, BestB said:

If he was a seller then you would need to be introduced to get the deal, No one needs pushing or encouraging to take money.

Chinese would come in and undercut other supplier,Chinese buyer will not go to Chinese supplier and offer bribes so Chinese seller will sell to him

If it was just a retail customer then nobody bothers. But if the customer is an importer or wholesaler then it is not so straight-forward because the quantities are larger, which means any complication can mean a huge loss for the seller.

Just about all the products are already being exported  by Thais.

I have exported for 30 years but product we made & has never been a problem.

I even imported parts from Australia for a manufacturing plant then re exported.

Got the duty VAT back 3 months later ,,, All good

13 minutes ago, Selatan said:

If it was just a retail customer then nobody bothers. But if the customer is an importer or wholesaler then it is not so straight-forward because the quantities are larger, which means any complication can mean a huge loss for the seller.

Deals that large are paid by bank guarantee upon receiving the goods. 

Downside for the seller, no upfront payment and seller carries the costs for a month or so

Just now, Selatan said:

Purposely rejecting goods do happen.

Can not comment , Have not seen or heard of such practice . Bank guarantee requires full deposit and bank holds the money. Just rejecting would not be acceptable excuse. If refused by customs is another matter. Even if received all rotten but it did get through customs then bank would release the payment to the seller 

I was ripped off recently by a famous thai bathroom company with a fake German name, who'd asked me to design a range of products. Every step was a nightmare. Their word meant nothing. Totally shameless.

And selling stuff thru facebook marketplace. Thai's are the biggest timewasters. 

Property developing for rental is probably the best bet here. If you have a good marriage..

35 minutes ago, BestB said:

Can not comment , Have not seen or heard of such practice . Bank guarantee requires full deposit and bank holds the money. Just rejecting would not be acceptable excuse. If refused by customs is another matter. Even if received all rotten but it did get through customs then bank would release the payment to the seller 

The exporter probably prefers to ship his perishable goods such as seafood and fruits to his familiar, trustworthy customer in Malaysia or Singapore rather than have to deal with all the documentation hassles when dealing with Letter of Credits, especially if the shipments are very frequent such as every few days.

25 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

how did you approach them? As a businessman who would like to do business with then or as a company?

Already explained, emails and phone calls 

tried all approaches , as a company registered in Thailand , which i am, as an agent , as a sourcing manager for Oz companies , all with same result . 

53 minutes ago, Selatan said:

The exporter probably prefers to ship his perishable goods such as seafood and fruits to his familiar, trustworthy customer in Malaysia or Singapore rather than have to deal with all the documentation hassles when dealing with Letter of Credits, especially if the shipments are very frequent such as every few days.

Whatever made you think other customers pay other ways? 

Are you  just playing a guessing game or actuality have experience ? 

I am having hard time believing you actually have any clue from post you make , with statements like export shipments every few days and containers being refused after bank guarantee has been issued. 

You do understand , this is not buying few kilos of apples to be shipped by dhl right? You do understand these are 20 ft containers that go by sea ?

each container is worth anywhere from $70000-$150000 worth of product. ?

ships carrying this containers do not sail on daily basis like daily flights there and back 

Sorry OP, but someone who has been living here and doing business should not ask these stupid questions.

Really, you keep telling people that they know nothing when it's clearly you who has displayed how much you clearly know nothing with your initial questions.

Sorry, no offense, but accept it, you know nothing and it seems that you are not ready to know.

And before you reply me anything else stupid, I have been selling retail and wholesale from Thailand since 20 years, so yes, you can complain as much as you want, but you will still be wrong anyway. It's even funny that you ask to your staff to help when they seems to also know nothing ! Who not totally insane would relay on Thai staff for complicated business ?! Find people who know what they are doing and your life will be easier.

21 minutes ago, ReLo said:

Sorry OP, but someone who has been living here and doing business should not ask these stupid questions.

Really, you keep telling people that they know nothing when it's clearly you who has displayed how much you clearly know nothing with your initial questions.

Sorry, no offense, but accept it, you know nothing and it seems that you are not ready to know.

And before you reply me anything else stupid, I have been selling retail and wholesale from Thailand since 20 years, so yes, you can complain as much as you want, but you will still be wrong anyway. It's even funny that you ask to your staff to help when they seems to also know nothing ! Who not totally insane would relay on Thai staff for complicated business ?! Find people who know what they are doing and your life will be easier.

????

You have been selling retail and wholesale from Thailand for 20 years, do tell more about the retail part selling FROM Thailand????

What was your previous user name prior to reincarnation?

39 minutes ago, BestB said:

Whatever made you think other customers pay other ways? 

Are you  just playing a guessing game or actuality have experience ? 

I am having hard time believing you actually have any clue from post you make , with statements like export shipments every few days and containers being refused after bank guarantee has been issued. 

You do understand , this is not buying few kilos of apples to be shipped by dhl right? You do understand these are 20 ft containers that go by sea ?

each container is worth anywhere from $70000-$150000 worth of product. ?

ships carrying this containers do not sail on daily basis like daily flights there and back 

No trucks coming into Malaysia from Thailand?

4 minutes ago, Selatan said:

No trucks coming into Malaysia from Thailand?

So now you saying Thai exporters send seafood by trucks on daily basis to Malaysia, a country which has its own seafood industry?

Do the same trucks also drive to Singapore? as you did mention Singapore and Malaysia before

Archived