Doing business In Thailand an absolute nightmare

17 minutes ago, BestB said:

Do the same trucks also drive to Singapore? as you did mention Singapore and Malaysia before

Yes they do. The North South Highway starts at Bukit Kayu Hitam at the Thai border at Sadao and ends at Johor Bahru, which is just one km from Singapore.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Malaysia imports 30% of its total fish consumption.

i did not ask for statistics, you stated Thai exporters send by trucks to Malaysia, so it is your assertion that Thai seafood exporters send seafood to Malaysia by trucks on daily basis and you did say Singapore, so same exporters send it by trucks to Singapore also?

5 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Yes they do. The North South Highway starts at Bukit Kayu Hitam at the Thai border at Sadao and ends at Johor Bahru, which is just one km from Singapore.

Ok, so now you are asserting Thai exporters send seafood by trucks to Malaysia and Singapore on daily basis to their customers? right?

So let see some proof 

1 minute ago, BestB said:

i did not ask for statistics, you stated Thai exporters send by trucks to Malaysia, so it is your assertion that Thai seafood exporters send seafood to Malaysia by trucks on daily basis and you did say Singapore, so same exporters send it by trucks to Singapore also?

Of course send by trucks, or maybe even trains. Why choose to send by slow ships anyway for such a relative short distance, especially if they are perishable items? Sending by trucks to Penang from Bukit Kayu Hitam only takes around 2 to 3 hours.

Just now, Selatan said:

Of course send by trucks, or maybe even trains. Why choose to send by slow ships anyway for such a relative short distance, especially if they are perishable items? Sending by trucks to Penang from Bukit Kayu Hitam only takes around 2 to 3 hours.

1 truck is not enough, so they send one on daily basis to the same buyers, right?

2 minutes ago, Selatan said:

The trucks usually would be carrying all kinds of stuffs, not just solely one type of goods, to many other customers, usually not just one.

Your post 111

The exporter probably prefers to ship his perishable goods such as seafood and fruits to his familiar, trustworthy customer in Malaysia or Singapore rather than have to deal with all the documentation hassles when dealing with Letter of Credits, especially if the shipments are very frequent such as every few days.

So once again are you playing a guessing game?

Just now, BestB said:

Your post 111

The exporter probably prefers to ship his perishable goods such as seafood and fruits to his familiar, trustworthy customer in Malaysia or Singapore rather than have to deal with all the documentation hassles when dealing with Letter of Credits, especially if the shipments are very frequent such as every few days.

So once again are you playing a guessing game?

Have seen those trucks before. Full of frozen chickens, fish, fishballs etc.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, Selatan said:

Don't tell me you think Thailand is exporting air into Malaysia everyday?

I only can see you playing guessing games, why is still beyond me

Nice pic by the way, shame it is not yours, crediting the source would be nice 

Just now, BestB said:

I only can see you playing guessing games, why is still beyond me

Nice pic by the way, shame it is not yours, crediting the source would be nice 

Why? Because it is very obvious. Doesn't make sense to ship perishable goods by sea to Malaysia. Why are you denying the very obvious? Nothing to win or lose here because we don't know each other. We just get to learn something.

Just now, Selatan said:

Why? Because it is very obvious. Doesn't make sense to ship perishable goods by sea to Malaysia. Why are you denying the very obvious? Nothing to win or lose here because we don't know each other. We just get to learn something.

What does Malaysia has to do with Australia? and orders of containers?

Do you know Malaysian buyers who buy from Thailand and pay upfront,? no you do not

Do you know what is inside the trucks in pic you stole from BKK post? no you do not

So what is the purpose of your posts is way way beyond me

I do not want to get to know you, this is not dating site

1 minute ago, BestB said:

What does Malaysia has to do with Australia? and orders of containers?

Do you know Malaysian buyers who buy from Thailand and pay upfront,? no you do not

Do you know what is inside the trucks in pic you stole from BKK post? no you do not

So what is the purpose of your posts is way way beyond me

I do not want to get to know you, this is not dating site

They probably have enough business. Not interested in taking more, especially if it involves a lot of hassles. Don't have to know exactly what are in those trucks. Definitely not empty air. Don't have to pay up front. Can pay after delivery. That I have seen because my neighbour was a fish buyer to turn the fish into salted fish.

1 minute ago, Selatan said:

They probably have enough business. Not interested in taking more, especially if it involves a lot of hassles. Don't have to know exactly what are in those trucks. Definitely not empty air. Don't have to pay up front. Can pay after delivery. That I have seen because my neighbour was a fish buyer to turn the fish into salted fish.

????

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

In order to get things moving, you need to give a personal kickback to the person you are dealing with in the sales dept. In order for the person in the sales dept. to trust you sufficiently to arrange a backhander, they need to know you.

Therefore the solution to do business with Thais is to spend an inordinate amount of time developing a relationship then arrange backhanders.

That I could never recommend. Do Business upfront and honestkly and you will continue to thrive. Offer a bribe at the start and you will be on a slippery slope.

11 hours ago, BestB said:

I do not have Thai family and do not plan on having one. 

Can not comment on administrative obstacles as I still can not get company’s who can quote or confirm products 

i will say though, I am yet to deal with the owners , so far it’s sales people who do not appear to be interested in anything .

once I reached to the owner, who is a Canadian , who passed it on to sales. Took her 1 month to give a quote

If you are not making traction, you may need to rethink you strategy about how you are approaching your subject as you would in business anywhere in the world.

To The OP, I am sure you are a top guy. But your posts come across as dominant. That is accepted from Thais in my limited opinion, but it does not lead you toward a happy agreement. I may have this all wrong. But I would change my strategy toward the suppliers. What else can you do. That is the challeng e of business - it is the parry and thrust that makes it worthwhile.

Simple = dont do business with Thais. In 30+ years I could write a library of what I heard, got promised, learnt and never anything materialized.

Went to countless trade promotions and exhibitions and fairs. Exchanged name cards, explained what I wanted (I'm fluent in Thai) and normally always the same. "No, I dont know about the price", "Boss not here", "What is your LINE so we send quotation" (which of course never came); follow-up by phone = we call back and never happened. 

Therefore, purchase in Thailand is absolute nonsense and much, much too complicated. Exports against "blue corner", "Form A/Certificate of Origin" an issue (of headache), documentation incomplete and more than once late or shipment incomplete. 

I sold all the business, retired and do business as a digital nomad with Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar. Also not easy, but those in charge are ethnic Chinese and unless it is Chinese New Year they at least move and do. 

2 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

That I could never recommend. Do Business upfront and honestkly and you will continue to thrive. Offer a bribe at the start and you will be on a slippery slope.

If you are not making traction, you may need to rethink you strategy about how you are approaching your subject as you would in business anywhere in the world.

To The OP, I am sure you are a top guy. But your posts come across as dominant. That is accepted from Thais in my limited opinion, but it does not lead you toward a happy agreement. I may have this all wrong. But I would change my strategy toward the suppliers. What else can you do. That is the challeng e of business - it is the parry and thrust that makes it worthwhile.

As i mentioned earlier, i have tried all approaches and all netting same kind of results.

The only thing that i can change is start going to their headoffice or factories which would be very time consuming, as phone calls and emails are not getting anywhere.

My other change in approach might be to ask for smaller quantities but then it may be a waste of time if they could do small, but we need large.

You have spotted right, i am dominant guy, but have to disagree, with you that my dominance plays any role yet, only because contact is very limited for them to see.

If you asked me, i see problem lies with the sales staff who simply can not be bothered, just like sales people all over the country.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Already explained, emails and phone calls 

tried all approaches , as a company registered in Thailand , which i am, as an agent , as a sourcing manager for Oz companies , all with same result . 

what type of company do you have registered on Thailand? Is it an import/export company?

I'm no expert nor a businessman. However I run a service business and was approached over the years many times by businessmen and company owners that asked for discounts and special prices for the services on account of future business with them. I always say - start buying at the normal price and let's see how much business you generate. Then we can discus prices and conditions.

the fact is that Thai companies do export to many countries. Also, I personally know an owner of a company overseas that came here to look for supplies, and managed to get what he wanted. So...

30 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

what type of company do you have registered on Thailand? Is it an import/export company?

I'm no expert nor a businessman. However I run a service business and was approached over the years many times by businessmen and company owners that asked for discounts and special prices for the services on account of future business with them. I always say - start buying at the normal price and let's see how much business you generate. Then we can discus prices and conditions.

the fact is that Thai companies do export to many countries. Also, I personally know an owner of a company overseas that came here to look for supplies, and managed to get what he wanted. So...

we do not even get to the talks of what company and how it is registered,

Nor do we get to talks of "normal" price whatever that means, as they do not provide quotes, there is no need with me to see how much business i generate, my requirements are fixed, 1000 tins of soy bean oil every month. 20ft container of shrimp every month.

Yes we could talk conditions and contracts AFTER they provide quote and confirmation they can handle the order.

Glad to hear you know of AN owner who came here and got what he wanted, looking at some replies on this thread it would appear there are little more than 1 owner who did not get what they wanted, including myself

It’s all about relationships here; don’t expect much to happen on the phone if you don’t have a track record, especially at scale.  Trying to do things on the phone was your first mistake; you should try to set up appointments at the company offices, speak with the highest ranking person you can, and take THEM out to lunch.  Buy a small sample at first, evaluate it, and set up another meeting in a month.  At that point, take them out to lunch first and then see if you can get a tour and talk to someone at a higher level (if needed).  Then propose your big order.

Sadly, it sounds a lot like a con-job.  It is.  They don’t need to sell to you, but you want to buy from them.  You need to make them want to sell to you.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

As i mentioned earlier, i have tried all approaches and all netting same kind of results.

Then I can only suggest you keep trying to consider a new approach. Because I have been doing business in these parts for a long time have been you and felt similar things to what I read from your post. I learnt a new strategies and it has been rewarding.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

You have spotted right, i am dominant guy, but have to disagree, with you that my dominance plays any role yet, only because contact is very limited for them to see.

If I can pick up on this aspect from a single post, then what would others pick up from a phone call or a face to face meeting?

You admit you are a dominant guy. I assume you know, based on you already being in business, Thais do not respond well to dominance. yet you think you have no other options available.

I find that very interesting.

The amount of times I have heard Westerners in business in Thailand bemoan the inability to have Thai staff do as wish never fails to astound me. Using Western business principals in non western countries can only lead to less than stellar results.

Less than stellar results can often keep an ongoing business afloat, but it often is not enough to drive prosperity and growth.

15 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Then I can only suggest you keep trying to consider a new approach. Because I have been doing business in these parts for a long time have been you and felt similar things to what I read from your post. I learnt a new strategies and it has been rewarding.

If I can pick up on this aspect from a single post, then what would others pick up from a phone call or a face to face meeting?

You admit you are a dominant guy. I assume you know, based on you already being in business, Thais do not respond well to dominance. yet you think you have no other options available.

I find that very interesting.

The amount of times I have heard Westerners in business in Thailand bemoan the inability to have Thai staff do as wish never fails to astound me. Using Western business principals in non western countries can only lead to less than stellar results.

Less than stellar results can often keep an ongoing business afloat, but it often is not enough to drive prosperity and growth.

Bud, yet to have a face to face meeting . And even to assume you right and they pick it up over the phone, then what about emails or when my staff contacts them?

i have no problems running my business( well have plenty but all can be managed ) 

this is different. When you go to car dealership you see staff less than interested in making a sale , mind you they get commission out of it also. It is a rare find to get a sales person who would bother to do little more than nothing to make a sale.

i put it down to attitude of sales and also in some cases deal being too large for them to handle .

i had one guy tell me that he is scared because he was cheated before for 1 million baht . How I asked . He said German made an order but when order was ready he did not want it anymore.

yes I said it was bad , so what happened with the order? I sold it he replied .

so how exactly was he cheated were my thoughts ? He sold it anyway , it’s business , things happen . 

What is sad is that a buyer needs to change attitude or approach as you say in order to buy, do you realise how insane this sounds? We not buying nuclear weapons or some top secret software ????

I

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Bud, yet to have a face to face meeting . And even to assume you right and they pick it up over the phone, then what about emails or when my staff contacts them?

And as I said, if I can pick up on your dominance from a single post why would an email be any different.

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

i put it down to attitude of sales and also in some cases deal being too large for them to handle .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes I said it was bad , so what happened with the order? I sold it he replied .

so how exactly was he cheated were my thoughts ? He sold it anyway , it’s business , things happen .

You are still not seeing any of this being possibly your approach.

As you said, yopu have many businesses so I'm sure you will work it out. I generally get paid for the guidance I offer. So at the moment, I don't wish to force a new strategy on to you and tarnish your previous successes. I wish you good luck and good day.

Learn long time ago that Thais are not looking for work but merely for a job to pretend to be busy... understand your frustration as I had same experience 7-8 years ago, after  3-4 denials and false/misleading information decided to stop immediately and went to neighboring countries... it's known Thailand is not a reputable/credible place for business people

18 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

And as I said, if I can pick up on your dominance from a single post why would an email be any different.

You are still not seeing any of this being possibly your approach.

As you said, yopu have many businesses so I'm sure you will work it out. I generally get paid for the guidance I offer. So at the moment, I don't wish to force a new strategy on to you and tarnish your previous successes. I wish you good luck and good day.

I do , I see it , I should be crawling and begging and giving bribes and then and only then maybe if I am lucky they will take my money  ????

12 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

It’s all about relationships here; don’t expect much to happen on the phone if you don’t have a track record, especially at scale.  Trying to do things on the phone was your first mistake; you should try to set up appointments at the company offices, speak with the highest ranking person you can, and take THEM out to lunch.  Buy a small sample at first, evaluate it, and set up another meeting in a month.  At that point, take them out to lunch first and then see if you can get a tour and talk to someone at a higher level (if needed).  Then propose your big order.

Sadly, it sounds a lot like a con-job.  It is.  They don’t need to sell to you, but you want to buy from them.  You need to make them want to sell to you.

Should I also buy few a Benz and maybe then I be lucky enough and they will accept my money ?

do you actually realise how ridiculous it sounds? 

It is sellers who need your money and your business and they are the ones who should be taking buyers out for lunch , not other way around.

whats next? Greasing developers arms so you can buy a condo off him ?

20 hours ago, BestB said:

....finding this thread quite amusing and actually LOL'ed at this statement....

I don't know anything about wholesale / export biz in Thailand but i know if i was a manager in some factory and some random unknown farang emails me (prob from a gmail acc ????) looking for quotes and change packaging i would bin your emails as well.....

13 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

....finding this thread quite amusing and actually LOL'ed at this statement....

I don't know anything about wholesale / export biz in Thailand but i know if i was a manager in some factory and some random unknown farang emails me (prob from a gmail acc ????) looking for quotes and change packaging i would bin your emails as well.....

And that is why you are not in biz and know nothing about it ????

Archived