Doing business In Thailand an absolute nightmare

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BestB said:
6 hours ago, William Osborne said:

....finding this thread quite amusing and actually LOL'ed at this statement....

I don't know anything about wholesale / export biz in Thailand but i know if i was a manager in some factory and some random unknown farang emails me (prob from a gmail acc ????) looking for quotes and change packaging i would bin your emails as well.....

And that is why you are not in biz and know nothing about it

I think he's not the only one in this thread, look at the guy in the OP.................oooops

On 9/12/2019 at 9:37 PM, BestB said:

The only thing that i can change is start going to their headoffice or factories which would be very time consuming, as phone calls and emails are not getting anywhere.

If you want to do business in Asia it is recommended to actually meet the people face to face first. Be friendly and non aggressive. Have the patience of Jesus!

21 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

If you want to do business in Asia it is recommended to actually meet the people face to face first. Be friendly and non aggressive. Have the patience of Jesus!

You absolutely right but before any meetings need to know if they can supply the order . With oil believe it or not , so far all would not change packaging or size.

on the phone I ask them , if we do a contract , would you be able to change from standard 18 l to 20 l and instead of square tin into round tin and the answer so far is a no . 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

You absolutely right but before any meetings need to know if they can supply the order . With oil believe it or not , so far all would not change packaging or size.

on the phone I ask them , if we do a contract , would you be able to change from standard 18 l to 20 l and instead of square tin into round tin and the answer so far is a no . 

Maybe you could offer to supply them with the 20 l packaging?

It also helps if when someone says 'no' I ask them why not? Though with Thais the answer may give you brain damage.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:15 PM, BestB said:

And that is why you are not in biz and know nothing about it ????

You really have no idea what you are talking about !

if you knew how many emails of idiots who visit Thailand for the first time and think that they are going to become millionaire by exporting something, that I receive, you would understand how it is just standard to ignore you when you don't even move your ash to visit us...

5 hours ago, BestB said:

R!-D!-CU-LOUS

Strange how experiences differ. Looking for 100K ziplock type pouches (not exactly that but have picked the closest item people are familiar with) approached 8 companies on Ali Baba, 6 in China, 1 in Malaysia, I in Thailand. The contact details were from the company email address with a link so they could see how we used this product. Needed a single sample to do initial quality check, they weigh 1/4 oz...7g and cost less than $0.10, fit in an ordinary envelope, a greeting card would be heavier. Of the 5 Chinese companies that replied the cheapest shipping quote for 1 sample was $30, most expensive was @$55. OK so it would be deducted from the order....if I ordered. Both Malaysian and Thai companies put samples in the post within a day and no charge and we ended up doing business with both for slightly different specs.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, BestB said:

Tried, same result. Got my Thai staff to do all the talking, some did not  know i existed , same result

Unless you speak Thai keep away from business , thai to thai negotiations will cost you with separate little deals going on in front of you at your expense of course

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Certainly glad I planned my life so that I would never have to get a job again or work here.

God, sounds like a nightmare good luck to all involved in any type of work or business here...

Totally agree

The thought of having to work here sends shivers down my spine, think i'd rather blow my brains out!

My own nightmare mainly resolves around the red tape that is involved in doing business in Thailand.

Getting a work permit and the correct Non-Imm-B has been turned into a process that will reduce your expectancy of life by 1.5 years at least. It is costly (why?), extremely complicated, requires piles of paperwork and as a European, you have to employ 4 Thai people as a staff. In my particular job, I'm only working by myself, I don't even require staff to clean a floor or picking up the phone. I NEED NO STAFF. But have to employ 4 people for nothing. I also need an exclusive, official office with a billboard and no one else is allowed to share it with me. All this although in my particular job, I DON'T NEED AN OFFICE.

It's utterly ridiculous.

I have come to actually understand people who don't want to go through all this and work illegally... My only 'problem' is that I'm a guy who wants do do everything correctly, so this is no option for me - however, in Thailand, I'm getting seriously punished for my honesty - financially, emotionally and by eating up time and other resources I could use much better otherwise.

My own nightmare mainly resolves around the red tape that is involved in doing business in Thailand.

Getting a work permit and the correct Non-Imm-B has been turned into a process that will reduce your expectancy of life by 1.5 years at least. It is costly (why?), extremely complicated, requires piles of paperwork and as a European, you have to employ 4 Thai people as a staff. In my particular job, I'm only working by myself, I don't even require staff to clean a floor or picking up the phone. I NEED NO STAFF. But have to employ 4 people for nothing. I also need an exclusive, official office with a billboard and no one else is allowed to share it with me. All this although in my particular job, I DON'T NEED AN OFFICE.

It's utterly ridiculous.

I have come to actually understand people who don't want to go through all this and work illegally... My only 'problem' is that I'm a guy who wants do do everything correctly, so this is no option for me - however, in Thailand, I'm getting seriously punished for my honesty - financially, emotionally and by eating up time and other resources I could use much better otherwise.

Why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This reminds me of the story from a poster not so long ago:

A Thai schoolgirl was selling snacks door to door to raise money for her school for whatever reason. Farang offers to buy all of her snacks at full price. The girl refuses - "because then I won't have anything to sell, will I?". 

Probably similar mind-boggling ways of thinking going on in Thai businesses, mixed in with a dash of Thais preferring to do business with Thais.

It's utterly ridiculous.

I heard costs 100000 baht a year in fees,accountants etc to maintain a work permit. Even before you pay any staff.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

This reminds me of the story from a poster not so long ago:

A Thai schoolgirl was selling snacks door to door to raise money for her school for whatever reason. Farang offers to buy all of her snacks at full price. The girl refuses - "because then I won't have anything to sell, will I?". 

Probably similar mind-boggling ways of thinking going on in Thai businesses, mixed in with a dash of Thais preferring to do business with Thais.

I was that Farang poster.... I owned three businesses here. Oh Lord send me some paracetamol. They should erect a sign at airport arrivals.... "forego all hope ye who enter here."

I never figured out what the <deleted> is wrong with these people.

Anyone with any business sense whatsoever should be able to take the hint after 5 minutes of looking into the rules and regs of foriegn owned SME business here.

There is always a sneaky way of going about things if you really want to ban something, but pesky

"international political correctness"

prohibits you from doing it implicitly.

And Thais are among the best in world at doing that kind of thing.

Its a stacked deck peoples.

But there will always be the guys willing to try it on, just like the guys who try to circumvent land ownership laws.

Usually always ends in tears!

thai cookies old wifes tale applicable to many developing nations
selling internationally hard licence etc
dealing with chinese easy less red tape same people
order electrics in china half the componets are swapped out

emails are <deleted> you want something in the price range your talking about go to the door face to face
you want oil who produces oil malaysia and indinesia
simple

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 2:07 AM, andy72 said:

thai cookies old wifes tale applicable to many developing nations
selling internationally hard licence etc
dealing with chinese easy less red tape same people
order electrics in china half the componets are swapped out

emails are <deleted> you want something in the price range your talking about go to the door face to face
you want oil who produces oil malaysia and indinesia
simple

Since when Malaysia and Indonesia became soybean oil producers or exporters?

On 9/12/2019 at 1:54 AM, ThePioneer said:

12 Million Baht per month revenue, and after 40 years being the biggest they haven't found a Thai supplier yet, but decide on that when the exchange rate AUS > THB probably is the worst in 40 years?

On 9/12/2019 at 2:05 AM, BestB said:

Suppliers always change , product quality changes , its a never ending game of chasing products at the right prices. 

And yes AUD is at its lowest to THB but all deals are in USD

Why would the deals being in USD negate the concern of ThePioneer who is in disbelief at why anyone in Oz would want to trade with Thailand when the exchange rate is at a record low!

Am I missing something here?

4 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

Actually Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam export more soybean oil than Thailand!  ????

https://oec.world/en/profile/hs92/1507/#Exporters

You mean OEC doesn't know what they are talking about, because you know better?

image.png.6ca8e7d340cfcad2ba0b1ed77e87a934.png

You mean you do not know what you talking about?

https://commodity.com/malaysia/

DB85F0B5-5D83-410B-9083-5725907E7364.png

Thailand imports nearly 3 million metric tons (110 million bushels) of soybeans each year and another 2.5 million metric tons of soybean meal. Thailand is the largest producer of full fat soybean meal in Southeast Asia. https://ussoy.org/thailand-an-up-and-coming-power/

4 hours ago, BestB said:

You mean you do not know what you talking about?

https://commodity.com/malaysia/

DB85F0B5-5D83-410B-9083-5725907E7364.png

Thailand imports nearly 3 million metric tons (110 million bushels) of soybeans each year and another 2.5 million metric tons of soybean meal. Thailand is the largest producer of full fat soybean meal in Southeast Asia. https://ussoy.org/thailand-an-up-and-coming-power/

So as usual you resort to trolling.

Because Malaysia's top export product is palm oil, that mean they are not exporting more soy bean oil than Thailand, as shown in the OEC charts?

Right?

We were talking about exporting soy bean oil, not importing , and certainly not about soy bean meals.

Keep up the trolling mate. Goodbye from me

14 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

So as usual you resort to trolling.

Because Malaysia's top export product is palm oil, that mean they are not exporting more soy bean oil than Thailand, as shown in the OEC charts?

Right?

We were talking about exporting soy bean oil, not importing , and certainly not about soy bean meals.

Keep up the trolling mate. Goodbye from me

You got me with your real expertise  , can you sleep better now?????

Archived