Advice regarding declared import duty issue

Khon Kaen Jeff

Hi Guys,

I have a problemo, I ordered a Tag watch from ebay from the States, value of the watch $1,000.00..due to the outrageous duties charged here I asked the seller if he could mark the package for a lower amount, he agreed and marked it up for $200.00 The package was shipped with DHL. Customs here must have smelt a rat as they opened the package and are now asking for proof of payment which of course I can not provide for $200.00

Is there any genuine advice on what to do? I am happy at this point to have it sent back and drawer a line but would they accept that? Also the seller is panicking a little as he thinks he may land in trouble now?

Cheers for any good advice.

KKJ

You can refuse the delivery, it gets returned, you get a refund on your purchase.

It has been stated time and again on this forum, that wherever possible to avoid "couriers" and asking a seller to break the law and make false customs declarations is not a good idea either.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You can refuse the delivery, it gets returned, you get a refund on your purchase.

It has been stated time and again on this forum, that wherever possible to avoid "couriers" and asking a seller to break the law and make false customs declarations is not a good idea either.

Thanks Charlie. So should I just ignore the request and just tell DHL that I want the package returned? And yes agree, will be the first and last time I will be playing this game.

I agree with the above. At this point, I suspect that Customs knows there’s something “a miss” with the stated declared value and what they see...

So... since you don’t have genuine documentation, you can’t rally produce anything and “doubling down” really means willfully producing falsified/fraudulent papers to circumvent law.. which, given the value of the thing your taking about, to me, isn’t a worthwhile risk-v-reward situation.

I think a “refused delivery consignee” is your only and best bet at this point. I’m not sure what fees, penalties or the like MAY be involved with a “RTS” return-to-sender shipment, but it’s my opinion that whatever it may be, it still better than trying your luck with what will end up being fraudulent documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I agree with the above. At this point, I suspect that Customs knows there’s something “a miss” with the stated declared value and what they see...

So... since you don’t have genuine documentation, you can’t rally produce anything and “doubling down” really means willfully producing falsified/fraudulent papers to circumvent law.. which, given the value of the thing your taking about, to me, isn’t a worthwhile risk-v-reward situation.

I think a “refused delivery consignee” is your only and best bet at this point. I’m not sure what fees, penalties or the like MAY be involved with a “RTS” return-to-sender shipment, but it’s my opinion that whatever it may be, it still better than trying your luck with what will end up being fraudulent documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for the input. Yes a RTS the only way to go now. Just responded, made up a silly excuse for not having the receipt and requested RTS, so let's see what they come back with.

So I made up some excuse about not having a receipt and asked for RTS..this is what I got back..

Sorry for inconvenience, you shipment can’t return. But in this case we will open to the sender for request DDP and proof of  payment form them to help you.

Thank you

Regards,

Maneerat Sakunjorn (SOM)
Clearance Support Agent - Customs Clearance

Any advice? Looks like I might have lost 30k baht!

So I made up some excuse about not having a receipt and asked for RTS..this is what I got back..

Sorry for inconvenience, you shipment can’t return. But in this case we will open to the sender for request DDP and proof of  payment form them to help you.

Thank you

Regards,

Maneerat Sakunjorn (SOM)

Clearance Support Agent - Customs Clearance

Any advice? Looks like I might have lost 30k baht!

Next time don't lie. Sad you played and lost. That is the risk you take. I think they hold all the cards.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 9/11/2019 at 11:12 PM, CharlieH said:

I've had credit cards/debit cards shipped with couriers for I didn't trust the post office. Is the reason that whenever possible 'avoid couriers' because of the of attention that is placed on the package from customs when it enters the country or is it something else?

Edited by from the home of CC

Just now, from the home of CC said:

I've had credit cards/debit cards shipped with couriers for I didn't trust the post office. Is the reason that whenever possible 'avoid couriers' because of the of attention that is placed on the package from customs when it enters the country or is it something else?

Generally applies to "goods" not documents etc as they scrutinise in order to maximise revenue.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The fact is that couriers will go an extra mile to collect extra money. So things will be taxed for sure maybe even too high with their extra charges on it. That is why i avoid them.

I never do false declarations though.. that is a game i prefer not to play as it can really backfire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The fact is that couriers will go an extra mile to collect extra money. So things will be taxed for sure maybe even too high with their extra charges on it. That is why i avoid them.

I never do false declarations though.. that is a game i prefer not to play as it can really backfire.

With over 30000 posts I highly doubt you do anything except post on here.

4 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

With over 30000 posts I highly doubt you do anything except post on here.

You would be surprised.. but i guess its easy to make the amount of posts I make when your a long time Thailand resident who also works with computers. So its easy to post and work at the same time.

I hope your story is a warning for others not to commit fraud like this as it can come back to bite you in the ass. I would have thought that they would send it back, but obviously they did not believe your fishy story and are now out for blood. Maybe your lucky and the seller is a nice guy and gives a low quote. 

• Like 1

Not sure why the seller should refund you, it's entirely your fault. 

There's only 5% import duty and 7% VAT on mechanical watches, see below. Why not just pay that...

Around 3k Baht ... i guess you saved more than 3k baht.

If you order from Europe, you spare yourself 15-20% VAT and pay only 12% tax in Thailand... how is that bad?

watches.PNG

Edited by ThomasThBKK

37 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Not sure why the seller should refund you, it's entirely your fault. 

There's only 5% import duty and 7% VAT on mechanical watches, see below. Why not just pay that...

Around 3k Baht ... i guess you saved more than 3k baht.

If you order from Europe, you spare yourself 15-20% VAT and pay only 12% tax in Thailand... how is that bad?

watches.PNG

sadly it don't work like that in real life..it would have been 30% then all the extras that they pile on top, it is a complete scam, and it was purchased in USA and not from a retailer anyway..

Mods - <SNIP>  pls close the thread.

28 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

sadly it don't work like that in real life..it would have been 30% then all the extras that they pile on top, it is a complete scam, and it was purchased in USA and not from a retailer anyway..

Mods -<SNIP>n pls close the thread.

Yes it does work...i do it all the time.

You expect advice but refuse to understand how taxation on import works, good luck...

Why would a private person refund you, it's not even a retailer, jeez.