BANGKOK
SenorJorge

Buddha village weddings

Hi,

I was just trying to see who on here actually did this in a farang-thai relationship.  If you did this and you are in a thai-thai wedding you can respond too.

How does your wife treat you?  Are they any different tha with registered marriages?  I was thinking since you can almost walk out at any time they may be a bit more docile.

What say you, tv?

Edited by SenorJorge

I like the idea of a marriage that has no legal basis ... let's you keep all your options open should it not work out.

• Like 2

Emm, well, IMO, you maintain a bit of leverage without the legal docs in that, as you said, you can simply walk away without any legal entanglements following you around.

I waited a year after my village wedding before dragging my mate and his wife down the Amphur to make it legal. That was 12 years ago.  15 together.  Ups and downs, mostly on my part, not hers, and if I'm being honest, overall, pretty damn good actually.   My chick is rock solid, wouldn't trade her out for a sexy, younger model - which would be great, for a night, but my wife is pretty f***king awesome as a wife. 

Make sure you feel the same about yours before going to the Amphur.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They are more "tradition" than anything else Thai/Thai it's customary to do this and some do only this. Most Thai/farang do it from pressure from the wife and to please the family/parents etc.

It means absolutely nothing in legal terms.

Agree, usually a village expectation and quite a village event. If you let it, can be quite costly in terms of food and drink, entertainers, payment to the monks and their transport and food etc. Often there's no formal invitations, the whole village is automatically welcome. Plus there's the sin-sod (dowry to the girls parents) which is usually on display for all to see. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

With my first Thai wife, I wish I had H.G. Well's Time Machine to go back in time and tell myself to just leave it at the Buddhist wedding !

I just spit my beer onto the keyboard.  Thanks. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I think the vast majority of Thais are actually living in unregistered marriages of some kind.  Ive read that in more than one place.  It makes it even more difficult to find out if your wife has ever been "married".  And even more easily for them to lie about it.  "See me tell you.  Amphur say I never marry"

I wouldn't say the vast majority but I will say that my soon to be Thai wife was married before in a village wedding and never registered it at the Amphur so technically I'll be her first husband 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Agree, usually a village expectation and quite a village event. If you let it, can be quite costly in terms of food and drink, entertainers, payment to the monks and their transport and food etc. Often there's no formal invitations, the whole village is automatically welcome. Plus there's the sin-sod (dowry to the girls parents) which is usually on display for all to see. 

Hell yes. I'm on course for £14k all in including sinsot, rings, venue. Two of the biggest costs of the day are the videographer and flowers.

57 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

With my first Thai wife, I wish I had H.G. Well's Time Machine to go back in time and tell myself to just leave it at the Buddhist wedding !

Well, to be fair, I suppose there are dumbasses that do that sort of thing, get involved with women they don't really know.  And then <deleted> and moan when it all goes wrong. As if could have gone any other way. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Hell yes. I'm on course for £14k all in including sinsot, rings, venue. Two of the biggest costs of the day are the videographer and flowers.

Bro!  Throttle back!  That's like 5,000 Baht for the Fo-tog guy.  Seriously.  Stop!