BANGKOK
SenorJorge

Buddha village weddings

On 9/13/2019 at 6:43 AM, Chelseafan said:

You can make make weddings as small or as grandiose as you want but bear in mind the average cost of a wedding in 2018 in the UK equated to around £32k so £14k is not such a bad price. I have factored in 200,000 baht of sinsot so a third of the cost is going on that, something that I'm sure your daughter and son-in-law didn't pay. 🙂

This is the current breakdown

Bride / Groom Dress hire : 14,500 though this does include hair and makeup.

Invitations : 2,000 (80 invites)

Pre-Wedding Photos : 6,900

Flowers / Photographer and video for the day : 77,000

Wedding Venue : 90,000 (no booze, that will be the night before but includes catering)

Monks : 4500 (500 * 9 Monks)

Sinsot : 1,000,000 (Only for show. Actual sinsot will be 200,000, the balance will be used to pay for the wedding)

Rings : 2 x 20,000 (1 baht each)

Souvenirs : 10,000

Total cost 444k baht

I've also factored in £2000 as miscellaneous.

Some of these could of been a lot cheaper but we did our homework on who we wanted and as it's a once in a life time event (I hope) we wanted to do it right.

Sounds a lot of expense for something that is going to fail 50% of the time.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds a lot of expense for something that is going to fail 50% of the time.

Yes but I hope that I am in the other 50% 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You do know that you don't have to pay sin sod, rings, venue, photographer or flowers, don't you?

You can just pay for a big <deleted> up at her parent's place. If you do give sin sod make sure you get it back after and just for show.

1570212183995.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 9/14/2019 at 4:20 PM, SenorJorge said:

The very fact that these girls ask for sinsod after they've been married before in village weddings shows what a deep scam foreigner+thai relationships usually are. Imagine how the Thais are all grinning and laughing at the stupid Briton laying all the money out on the plate when it was just done two or three years ago. Thais NEVER pay sinsod for divorcees, women's with kids, prostitutes, girls regarded as "loose women" in the community.  But I see farang paying big sinsod for these girls.  They tried to get me on this and eventually I put my foot down and said no, I can't afford it anyway.  And few of us really can the way they're making us hold so much in the bank.  Anyway, if you do get married in thailand, my advice is not to register the damned thing.

She didn't ask for Sinsod. It was voluntary on my part.

I might decide not to register the wedding though..food for thought.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 5:13 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You do know that you don't have to pay sin sod, rings, venue, photographer or flowers, don't you?

You can just pay for a big <deleted> up at her parent's place. If you do give sin sod make sure you get it back after and just for show.

Absolutely and in fairness I think she wouldn't object to that but there is a little face she has to show and I figured, if we're going to do this then lets do this big. Financially I'm in a very very fortunate position so this isn't going to hurt the coffers to much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

She didn't ask for Sinsod. It was voluntary on my part.

I might decide not to register the wedding though..food for thought.

You would only be doing what most thai men do anyway.  No cultural traditions really lost.

• Like 1