Thammanat claims he ‘just slept’ in Aussie lock-up

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally a high ranking Thai official who actually saw some time in jail for drug trafficking, most seem to get away with it because they have the good sense to conduct their business in Thailand. I hope the Aussies will provide some more details, his account seems to have quite a few rather large holes.

6 hours ago, Reigntax said:

After 30 years it is probably a "spent conviction".

If the 30 years dates from the time of his conviction, then that time is up in 2023. His record should not gave been expunged (or whatever the word is) just yet.

Many years back I was given a copy of a secretive fax sent by a senior police officer to leading social "figures". It concerned our hero du jour and others who I will not name. It was scary. The cop was one very disillusioned guy over the "antics" of these people, and I guess he was just venting his spleen as there was nothing you could do with the information within Thailand. (Much of it, as I've since found out through Wikileaks, was already known to the diplomatic world, however.) But back then it was a hell of an eye-opener for those of us living here. It also contained certain damaging references that are missing from the debate today - that's all I can say. Being caught with the fax would have meant big trouble, and I eventually burned it. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering what this guy has on the PM  and why he's so important to the PM to force the latter to lie and go into great pains to deny and distort court documented facts of a serious criminal past, imprisonment and being an imposter labeling it a " small Issues" and let bygone be bygone"...

For legal reasons that can't be mentioned. The why is buried in the original Sydney Morning Herald article if you read closely. 

44 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

If the 30 years dates from the time of his conviction, then that time is up in 2023. His record should not gave been expunged (or whatever the word is) just yet.

Many years back I was given a copy of a secretive fax sent by a senior police officer to leading social "figures". It concerned our hero du jour and others who I will not name. It was scary. The cop was one very disillusioned guy over the "antics" of these people, and I guess he was just venting his spleen as there was nothing you could do with the information within Thailand. (Much of it, as I've since found out through Wikileaks, was already known to the diplomatic world, however.) But back then it was a hell of an eye-opener for those of us living here. It also contained certain damaging references that are missing from the debate today - that's all I can say. Being caught with the fax would have meant big trouble, and I eventually burned it. 

Damn. I wish you had not posted that. Now my interest is really sparked. 

Does he not realise that the transcripts of his trial and all associated paperwork is available online through various Australian Government archives?

As for sending someone on remand to "look after" younger offenders, this is pure fantasy on his part.

The man should ring his mate Donald for better quality lies 

48 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Oooooooh I d love to hear more but pretty  sure i already  know that NONE  of  it  can be mentioned, currently in the Uk though so pm away  if you feel inclined, that many people hold up  Thailand on here is  so  funny, the real Thailand is  not pretty at  all.

2 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Oooooooh I d love to hear more but pretty  sure i already  know that NONE  of  it  can be mentioned, currently in the Uk though so pm away  if you feel inclined, that many people hold up  Thailand on here is  so  funny, the real Thailand is  not pretty at  all.

Me too. Me too. ????

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Yes, that relates to the legislated process of spent convictions.

It is also possible to fully remove all history by application through the courts, in which case requires the removal of all reference in published cases to the individual.

Only very rarely does that occur, and it is a long involved expensive process.

His records still available through court and law libraries, and it seems from various newspaper sites.

Absolutely fantastic that this story has now got some serious legs. Thai media and especially the foreign media are all over it. 

It will be very interesting to see how this carries on. It isn't essentially the conviction (albeit a major issue), but the fact the man continues to lie about the incident as if it was nothing. 

He must be a complete simpleton to think that a country such as Australia won't have all the information easily available. 

9 hours ago, Reigntax said:

After 30 years it is probably a "spent conviction". No searching, other than by law enforcement would be made available.

However,if the aus press are now searching, they may have articles relating to the case on file.

As you say, his version of events is not how the Aus justice system works. 

Read the Sydney Morning Herald piece. It's extremely detailed, with quotes from Police files and conversations, both recorded as part of the sting, and face to face with authorities. There is no question as to what happened. This an was convicted of a drug trafficking related offence and spent 4 years in jail for it.

9 hours ago, Reigntax said:

After 30 years it is probably a "spent conviction". No searching, other than by law enforcement would be made available.

However,if the aus press are now searching, they may have articles relating to the case on file.

As you say, his version of events is not how the Aus justice system works. 

Australian immigration requires all convictions including spent convictions. You also have to apply for a spent conviction in Australia it does not automatically get spent by the passing of time.

He could easily clear the matter up by applying for an Australian police check. Can be done online and the results are very quick.

NI've spent the last 2 days following and researching this story. Apparently there is a band of mafia thugs masquerading as Mr Niceguys with their snouts in the trough and they just can't get enough. 

After being caught red handed and making admissions in the Australian court and spending 4 years in prison for conspiracy to import 3.1kg of heroin from Thailand he was deported back to Thailand. To cover his tracks he has changed his name 4 times. Somehow he managed to get back into the Thai army.

It must pay well! He's accumulated estimated wealth of US$45 million, a stack of luxury vehicles and property, 2 wives, 7 children. Now the PM is protecting him.

Ah, we live in a world gone crazy.

It's amazing that it's come to light. Perhaps the accumulating knowledge in Thai society of their greedy corrupt political masters will precipitate a revolution!

38 minutes ago, Grandpa Cool said:

NI've spent the last 2 days following and researching this story. Apparently there is a band of mafia thugs masquerading as Mr Niceguys with their snouts in the trough and they just can't get enough. 

After being caught red handed and making admissions in the Australian court and spending 4 years in prison for conspiracy to import 3.1kg of heroin from Thailand he was deported back to Thailand. To cover his tracks he has changed his name 4 times. Somehow he managed to get back into the Thai army.

It must pay well! He's accumulated estimated wealth of US$45 million, a stack of luxury vehicles and property, 2 wives, 7 children. Now the PM is protecting him.

Ah, we live in a world gone crazy.

It's amazing that it's come to light. Perhaps the accumulating knowledge in Thai society of their greedy corrupt political masters will precipitate a revolution!

Seri Ruam Thai Party leader, Pol Gen Sereepisuth Temeeyaves, yesterday claimed he was the one who urged the Australian newspaper to delve deeper into the drug case.

I'd watch my shadow, if I were him.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Only very rarely does that occur, and it is a long involved expensive process.

His records still available through court and law libraries, and it seems from various newspaper sites.

Agree. Depends how desperate you are and what cost you are willing to pay.

I suppose like...If you wanted to be elected as an MP in another country and you had references from those high up in government or the involvement of those higher still.

However this guy seems to be covering his tracks or past with various name changes or variations.

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

Do you think that this is the only one who's lying ? There's no such thing/person as a Honest Politician.  No matter what country one looks at.

Including the Vatican :whistling:

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering what this guy has on the PM  and why he's so important to the PM to force the latter to lie and go into great pains to deny and distort court documented facts of a serious criminal past, imprisonment and being an imposter labeling it a " small Issues" and let bygone be bygone"...

You don’t have to dig very hard to find information claiming that you know who built his wealth from drugs.

It’s not an uncommon source of income for the military in this region of the world.

Archived