Tax to rise on zero-alcohol beer

webfact

Tax to rise on zero-alcohol beer

By The Nation

800_b139d73762982fc.jpeg?v=1568215155

Uttama

The Finance Ministry plans to raise the excise tax rate on zero-alcohol beer, saying it would discourage people from start drinking. 

Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana said on Wednesday that the Excise Department of the ministry would  soon complete a study on raising tax on zero-alcohol beer from the current rate of  14 per cent, the same level as on soft drinks, which is lower than the rate on beer.

The ministry is concerned that zero-alcohol beer may lead to new drinkers switching to alcoholic drinks, said Uttama, adding that the higher tax rate will still be lower than that on beer.

The ministry will also regroup tax rates on beverages. For example,  functional drinks such as  water mixed with vitamins,or cologne, will be taxed lower than beverages with high sugar content.  

The ministry, he said,  is also considering whether to delay a new round of  tax hike on cigarette as the state-owned Thailand Tobacco Monopoly, has complained about the severe impact on its business from the last tax increases.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376089

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-12

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webfact said:

The ministry, he said,  is also considering whether to delay a new round of  tax hike on cigarette as the state-owned Thailand Tobacco Monopoly, has complained about the severe impact on its business from the last tax increases.

Sorted, NO increase on tax. 

It's sad when greed and profit come before trying to improve people's health, by encouraging them to pack in. 

These people have run out of ideas of what else to tax. Cars, alcohol, cigarettes, high sugar content drinks, no alcohol beer.

They should tax rice also, at the end of the day it does have too many carbs.

No wonder there is little compliance on revenue tax, Thais don't care, they don't care.

Why chase people for tax, when indirect tax is so much better.

2 hours ago, lkv said:

These people have run out of ideas of what else to tax. Cars, alcohol, cigarettes, high sugar content drinks, no alcohol beer.

They should tax rice also, at the end of the day it does have too many carbs.

No wonder there is little compliance on revenue tax, Thais don't care, they don't care.

Why chase people for tax, when indirect tax is so much better.

There's only a small tax-base so far as income tax goes.

Indirect taxes tend to hit the poorer harder, that's part of why the wealthy are so keen on them.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Why not just raise the tax on bad beer (alcohol) and lower it on good beer (no alcohol)?  How do people with no brains get into such elevated positions?

Absolutely - then change the labels so bad beer gets reborn as good beer and taxed accordingly

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

This is strange!? 

I always thought that you should promote the better alternative.

Here they are adding more tax on that instead. Wonder what effect that will have?

I totally agree. The closer it gets to the price of alcoholic beer the less incentive there is to drink it. Thus potentially encouraging people to drink alcohol. Right hand, left hand. 

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm 55 - and I'm sure many of you are older and wiser - but I have yet to meet anyone that turned from a non-alcoholic beer drinker into a rampant drunk

Whilst there is no evidence that .non-alcoholic beer is a "gateway" drink, with those imbibing moving on to alcohol. There is clear evidence that a large number of those who start on breast milk/formula, moving onto water will progress onto beer and even hard spirits.

Where is this beer available anyway? Never seen it been looking for 13 years

Many brands in most supermarkets, you really have to make an effort not to see ..
I prefer the Korean beer and if not available Heineken zero. I stopped drinking alcoholic drinks 6 y ago and this alcohol-free beer is really a welcome variation. Special tax on beer is as stupid as the ban on vaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I often read about Thais thinking "if business slow, raise prices".

Now I read about a failing economy and that Prayut has ordered a study of the "little" people and ask for ways to improve their lives. So in true Thai thinking, his government keeps dreaming up more taxes (same as raising prices).

Archived