Tax to rise on zero-alcohol beer

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The Thai government is insolvent and looking for tax revenues EVERYWHERE

If the government would tax their absurdity, ignorance, and stupidity of their actions and inaction, Thailand would be a rich country.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry plans to raise the excise tax rate on zero-alcohol beer, saying it would discourage people from start drinking.

In the UK a very long time ago they used to tell people to drink non-alcoholic beer, citing it was healthier and an alternative for nominated drivers.... then they taxed the <deleted> out of it.

Eventually the sales naturally fell through the floor... he should have a re-think!

Do they really think that anybody with even half a brain believes the reasoning behind these decisions!  And if that is what this minister really believes then perhaps he should consider an alternative career... perhaps stand-up comedy.  I have to wonder how some of these government ministers get put in these decision making positions, as they don't appear to have any ability for intelligent connected thinking!

5 hours ago, tifino said:

same as taxing soft drinks... the sugar

WRONG! 

Heineken 00 has 1.3% sugar (I'm looking at a bottle), one of the best/lowest rates.  Jever Fun (Ost-Friesland, Germany) has 0% sugar and even Lidl's new Perlembourg 0.0%, which I'm drinking right now, super-cheap and a great-tasting option, has 1.4% sugar.

I'm in liver-recovery and also diabetic and NA beer has dietary labelling here in Europe.

(Oh yeh.... and I'm "no longer a man" because I don't drink...)

2 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

They're pushing up tax on safer alternatives as the couple familes who own the Thai alcohol and all the other beverage markets don't want to lose money. 

Not sure your logic is working.  Doesn't the family that owns Heineken alcoholic beer distribution also own Heineken 00 non-alcoholic beer distribution?

Great ad for non-alcoholic beer? 

2 hours ago, a3tsw said:

Time to switch to water with cologne then , can either drink it or splash it on all over! ????????????

In another life I worked for the Saudi importer of Fa Cologne.... containers and containers of the stuff for (then) North Yemen border zone - same-same but different!

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Disagree. Totally.

You have it 100% <deleted> about tit.

Bad beer obviously has no alcohol in it.

Good beer has alcohol in it.

Call me old fashioned, but i have never understood this low/no alcohol beer stuff.

You wanna drink a beer, drink a beer.

You wanna not get drunk, or drink something non alcoholic - drink water, o juice or a coke.

Not rocket science.

Re the OP - excellent idea.

Tax the hell out of it i say.

Strangely, I see it the other way round.  Non-alcoholic beer, especially the good-tasting stuff available now (not the dishwater of yesteryear) is beer with the negative ingredient taken out.  That'll be my liver talking.... (no "talking 'gonads'", no erectile dysfunction, no premature death......).

Live long and prosper (and perhaps have a blood test every now and then)!

(Sorry I know all the above should be in one post, but......hohum)

When a nation is run by men of fabulous ignorance, and incompetence, who do not possess one nanogram of creativity, they tax everything and anything they can possibly tax. Taxation is a substitute for intelligence and creativity. It represents the polar opposite of good governance. 

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why not just raise the tax on bad beer (alcohol) and lower it on good beer (no alcohol)?  How do people with no brains get into such elevated positions?

Illogical Mr Spock.

To me taxing the alcohol content (excise) is a world wide thing. 

Taxing no alcohol beer. Illogical...

1 hour ago, capdagde said:

Not sure your logic is working.  Doesn't the family that owns Heineken alcoholic beer distribution also own Heineken 00 non-alcoholic beer distribution?

Great ad for non-alcoholic beer? 

Heineken is done by TAP here, so is Tiger, Guiness, Kilkenny, Strongbow etc....

They are competition to Chang and Singha (Boonrawd) who have no such product that people want.

Normal beer is already taxed to death here, especially imported ones

The reason for the tax is in the beverage category. As long as a alcohol free beer is called a “beer” it can be taxed as beer. Soon many non-alcoholic beers will use “malt” iso beer and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

In Tops they do. They even have a special sign telling you that you can buy non-alcoholic beer anytime of the day. Saying that; I do remember trying to buy some a while back and the lady in Tops said, "cannot". After explaining it's non-alcoholic like Coke or Pepsi, etc, she called over her manager and they compartmentalized their thoughts very hard. They thought long and hard and came to the conclusion that not only was I right, but I was 'keng mak', and decided to sell it to me. 

*Disclaimer: the non-alcoholic beer wasn't for me. 

...ahm...no they don't!

Not at "my" tops, at least!

7 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Where is this beer available anyway? Never seen it been looking for 13 years

Heineken 0.0 is actually pretty good. Available just about anywhere....Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro, 7 Eleven. I have a couple of friends that like beer, but can't drink alcohol because of their medications. They enjoy it. 

But they can't raise the taxes on cigarettes because the State run tobacco monopoly is worried about their profits! 

Dumber than a bag of rocks!!

Archived