Tax to rise on zero-alcohol beer

webfact

For all of you, who have never seen alcohol free beer in Thailand: there is Heineken 0,0, there is a brand called Bavaria (or Dutch), their beer and beer with lime is quiet tasty (sold at Tops).

They also have a bunch of <deleted> with strawberry taste (apple is okay, though) and then there are some restaurants (G's on Patpong 4 for example) who sell Erdinger alcohol- free , which IMHO is the best of the bunch!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first started drinking my mother's milk and thought that there has to something better than this. So I started to drink water. While it  was very refreshing,  I still wanted something more. So I  started to drink juice. Although it was good, i  needed something more. So I went to non alcohol beer. That of course is what got me hooked on real beer. If only the government would have taxed my mother's milk, I  might not have ended up a drunk.

8 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Where is this beer available anyway? Never seen it been looking for 13 years

Heineken have brought one out called 00 beer...looks similar to their other beer. I have explain to the tellers when buying outside the alcohol hours that it's the same as Coca Cola.....I have them trained now.

Amazing how they get things backwards here.....you usually go from alcohol beer to non alcohol beer, not the reverse.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm 55 - and I'm sure many of you are older and wiser - but I have yet to meet anyone that turned from a non-alcoholic beer drinker into a rampant drunk

Most likely more challenging the other way around ...

1 hour ago, TPUBON said:

I first started drinking my mother's milk and thought that there has to something better than this. So I started to drink water. While it  was very refreshing,  I still wanted something more. So I  started to drink juice. Although it was good, i  needed something more. So I went to non alcohol beer. That of course is what got me hooked on real beer. If only the government would have taxed my mother's milk, I  might not have ended up a drunk.

You do realise that this forum is read by Thais. Your suggestion will probably come up at the next cabinet meeting and it will be law by the end of the year. Farang mothers entering Thailand and who are breast feeding will probably have to pay an import tax.

19 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Never in my life have I heard of some one starting to drink beer with a zero percent "brew". Most are pretty horrible and would discourage to-be drinkers.

Based on the fact that 99.9% of all alcoholics started drinking milk, we should consider alcohol-free beer as the gateway to the big brother not unlike el cig vs cig - in other words, it starts with an innocent resemblance when it comes to taste and end up with an dangerous addictive effect ......  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Figure this, my local 7-11 won't sell non-alcoholic beer between 2PM and 5PM.

I can figure that. When goods incoming are brought on to stock, they need to be classified, 'alcohol' or 'not alcohol'. That's because it's the data in the till register that dictates when alcoholic drinks can be sold.

So a young newbie tasked with bringing on the stock has never heard of zero alcohol beer, so she reads the can, sees 'beer' and thinks 'hmm alcohol' and there you have it. Simple error.

I was once prevented from buying a bottle of Whisky at Big C because the clock on the till was wrong!

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Very easily!

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

How do people with no brains get into such elevated positions?

Easy to work out mate and if you look into most of these cretins backgrounds you will quickly see they are from the moneyed elite, all about jobs for the boys common sense or aptitude not required.....

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

A curious connection, made more curious by a lack of causal relation data concerning no-alcohol beer and graduation to regular beer by Thai drinkers.

Thanks... I was going to say the same thing myself....

For example, in my case, if I was going to drink or try the Heineken 0.0 beer and such, it would be specifically because while I like the taste of beer, I don't necessarily want to be consuming a lot of alcohol.

So that last thing that me being an H 0.0 customer would make me want to do would be to reverse course and go back to drinking regular alcohol beers.

I suspect, the tax proposal is probably aimed at protecting the local alcohol beer titans who have their grubby fingers in the highest levels of national government here and have the ability to influence things to their liking.  And I'm sure, raising the price on non-alcohol beers via higher taxation is to their liking.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I suspect, the tax proposal is probably aimed at protecting the local alcohol beer titans who have their grubby fingers in the highest levels of national government here and have the ability to influence things to their liking

Like recently when someone gifted 100,000,000 THB as birthday gift to someone (who don't need it at all anyway)

16 hours ago, mark131v said:

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

How do people with no brains get into such elevated positions?

Easy to work out mate and if you look into most of these cretins backgrounds you will quickly see they are from the moneyed elite, all about jobs for the boys common sense or aptitude not required.....

The haves and have nots.

It's a world wide practice. 

But I have to start to think that behind the Thai smile, there really isn't a lot going on...

And that's without the alcohol, jabba, ganga, and the odd fall or two from a bike with no helmets. 

Add to that the village habit of belting kids around the head at a young age. 

On 9/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, rkidlad said:

Well they had an official Tops sign saying they do. This is in two of the Tops I have been into. I thought this would be store policy but I guess it isn't. 

Nope, it isn't!

I had a discussion with the cashier AND the storemanager :both of them proudly pointed to the 0.0% and failed to actually understand what that means!

First they said, they can't sell beer - which then made it logical not to sell alc-free, because it is (after all) beer!

So I said, I would like to get a bottle of Absolut then!

Then they turned to "we can't sell alcohol"!

So I went "Great! So I can buy beer WITH NO ALCOHOL in it!"

...you may guess, how this ended!

1 minute ago, Saint Nick said:

Nope, it isn't!

I had a discussion with the cashier AND the storemanager :both of them proudly pointed to the 0.0% and failed to actually understand what that means!

First they said, they can't sell beer - which then made it logical not to sell alc-free, because it is (after all) beer!

So I said, I would like to get a bottle of Absolut then!

Then they turned to "we can't sell alcohol"!

So I went "Great! So I can buy beer WITH NO ALCOHOL in it!"

...you may guess, how this ended!

It isn't store policy, but there are at least two Tops where you can buy alcohol-free beer anytime of the day. I would venture to guess there are quite a few more Tops who will sell anytime. You just happen to be unlucky. 

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It isn't store policy, but there are at least two Tops where you can buy alcohol-free beer anytime of the day. I would venture to guess there are quite a few more Tops who will sell anytime. You just happen to be unlucky. 

I've never understood why a lot of the Thai stores seem to subject the alcohol-free beer products to the mid-afternoon no-sell restriction. It's NOT alcohol, so why in the world are they restricting the sale of those products? To me it's ludicrous!

Archived