BANGKOK
webfact

Tax to rise on zero-alcohol beer

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

How about Non Alcoholic water? I  bet if  you made it they wouldnt sell it  at those times too, they should tax  stupidity, they'd  make a fortune

Will not, i tried it....

Tax on anything that becomes popular no matter unhealthy or healthy. Definitely health is the last reason, but the first excuse. 

Edited by The Theory

This is one of the biggest brain- fart I have ever seen/ heard!

Why not tax milk higher?

It leads to drinking coffee and that leads straight to abuse of coccain and crystal meth!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

adding that the higher tax rate will still be lower than that on beer.

Thai logic in action. But they can't raise the tax on real beer because the VVVVIPs who own the breweries and are among the richest of the rich in Thailand might have a word to say.

5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The Thai government is insolvent and looking for tax revenues EVERYWHERE

If the government would tax their absurdity, ignorance, and stupidity of their actions and inaction, Thailand would be a rich country.

• Thanks 1

I think it should be tax free. I knew one person who quit drinking and every evening 1 beer 0% alcohol before dinner. He was healthy and happy drinker. Many people are fond of taste but not the kick.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry plans to raise the excise tax rate on zero-alcohol beer, saying it would discourage people from start drinking.

In the UK a very long time ago they used to tell people to drink non-alcoholic beer, citing it was healthier and an alternative for nominated drivers.... then they taxed the <deleted> out of it.

Eventually the sales naturally fell through the floor... he should have a re-think!

hat amazes me is that they need a degree to become a Politican, was not aware you could get a degree in STUPIDITY . 

Edited by Khun Paul
spelling error
  • Like 1

Do they really think that anybody with even half a brain believes the reasoning behind these decisions!  And if that is what this minister really believes then perhaps he should consider an alternative career... perhaps stand-up comedy.  I have to wonder how some of these government ministers get put in these decision making positions, as they don't appear to have any ability for intelligent connected thinking!

Every single time I buy beer I check to see what the tax is.  Not.

5 hours ago, tifino said:

same as taxing soft drinks... the sugar

WRONG! 

Heineken 00 has 1.3% sugar (I'm looking at a bottle), one of the best/lowest rates.  Jever Fun (Ost-Friesland, Germany) has 0% sugar and even Lidl's new Perlembourg 0.0%, which I'm drinking right now, super-cheap and a great-tasting option, has 1.4% sugar.

I'm in liver-recovery and also diabetic and NA beer has dietary labelling here in Europe.

(Oh yeh.... and I'm "no longer a man" because I don't drink...)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Figure this, my local 7-11 won't sell non-alcoholic beer between 2PM and 5PM.

TRUE.  Big C Pattaya Klang wouldn't let me into the section a few weeks ago.... well it does have "less than 0.03% alcohol"...