BANGKOK
webfact

Tax to rise on zero-alcohol beer

A curious connection, made more curious by a lack of causal relation data concerning no-alcohol beer and graduation to regular beer by Thai drinkers.

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

A curious connection, made more curious by a lack of causal relation data concerning no-alcohol beer and graduation to regular beer by Thai drinkers.

Thanks... I was going to say the same thing myself....

For example, in my case, if I was going to drink or try the Heineken 0.0 beer and such, it would be specifically because while I like the taste of beer, I don't necessarily want to be consuming a lot of alcohol.

So that last thing that me being an H 0.0 customer would make me want to do would be to reverse course and go back to drinking regular alcohol beers.

I suspect, the tax proposal is probably aimed at protecting the local alcohol beer titans who have their grubby fingers in the highest levels of national government here and have the ability to influence things to their liking.  And I'm sure, raising the price on non-alcohol beers via higher taxation is to their liking.

17 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

They should have the manufacturer blur out the word beer...this censorship will curtail consumption...as it does with alcohol, tobacco, guns, knives and sex...😂

And plain packaging, one generic label.

Glad to see he has the best interest at heart of preventing potential future farang drunks🤣🍻

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I suspect, the tax proposal is probably aimed at protecting the local alcohol beer titans who have their grubby fingers in the highest levels of national government here and have the ability to influence things to their liking

Like recently when someone gifted 100,000,000 THB as birthday gift to someone (who don't need it at all anyway)

16 hours ago, mark131v said:

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

How do people with no brains get into such elevated positions?

Easy to work out mate and if you look into most of these cretins backgrounds you will quickly see they are from the moneyed elite, all about jobs for the boys common sense or aptitude not required.....

The haves and have nots.

It's a world wide practice. 

But I have to start to think that behind the Thai smile, there really isn't a lot going on...

And that's without the alcohol, jabba, ganga, and the odd fall or two from a bike with no helmets. 

Add to that the village habit of belting kids around the head at a young age. 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:07 AM, quadperfect said:

Where is this beer available anyway? Never seen it been looking for 13 years

Every 7/11 has heinekin 0 now.  It's in the beer section.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, rkidlad said:

Well they had an official Tops sign saying they do. This is in two of the Tops I have been into. I thought this would be store policy but I guess it isn't. 

Nope, it isn't!

I had a discussion with the cashier AND the storemanager :both of them proudly pointed to the 0.0% and failed to actually understand what that means!

First they said, they can't sell beer - which then made it logical not to sell alc-free, because it is (after all) beer!

So I said, I would like to get a bottle of Absolut then!

Then they turned to "we can't sell alcohol"!

So I went "Great! So I can buy beer WITH NO ALCOHOL in it!"

...you may guess, how this ended!

1 minute ago, Saint Nick said:

Nope, it isn't!

I had a discussion with the cashier AND the storemanager :both of them proudly pointed to the 0.0% and failed to actually understand what that means!

First they said, they can't sell beer - which then made it logical not to sell alc-free, because it is (after all) beer!

So I said, I would like to get a bottle of Absolut then!

Then they turned to "we can't sell alcohol"!

So I went "Great! So I can buy beer WITH NO ALCOHOL in it!"

...you may guess, how this ended!

It isn't store policy, but there are at least two Tops where you can buy alcohol-free beer anytime of the day. I would venture to guess there are quite a few more Tops who will sell anytime. You just happen to be unlucky. 

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It isn't store policy, but there are at least two Tops where you can buy alcohol-free beer anytime of the day. I would venture to guess there are quite a few more Tops who will sell anytime. You just happen to be unlucky. 

I've never understood why a lot of the Thai stores seem to subject the alcohol-free beer products to the mid-afternoon no-sell restriction. It's NOT alcohol, so why in the world are they restricting the sale of those products? To me it's ludicrous!

Why do they do everything upside down and backwards in Thailand compared to the rest of the world??? 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:07 AM, quadperfect said:

Where is this beer available anyway? Never seen it been looking for 13 years

Heineken 0.0 is at 7-11  in a can that seems to be designed for a child. At 40b it's not cheap for 1/2 a regular beer.