UK's worst-case no-deal Brexit plan warns of food shortages, public disorder

webfact

Reason the pound started tanking was Gordon Brown devalued the pound in 2008 to bail out his banking buddies in the city,then Cameron ( who was terrified of ukip) decided to have a binding referendum which he lost,rather flies in the face of your last point.sorry to hear about your financial circumstances,let's all hope you have a country to come back to.
Little to do with Gordon Brown, but story certainly a calling card of the Conspiracy Theory section of the Hard Brexiteers who see traitors behind every negative event.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Hmmm the leavers claim the pounds rout is due to ‘uncertainty’ and EVERY industry is crying out for clarification so given I would be amazed how much had been spent on Brexit preparations, would it have been a good idea to let the economy in on them ? 

Which ‘financial systems’ have been readied for an event no one knows how will pan out ? 

In other words stop talking drivel. 

In case you're interested, I suggest the Financial Stability Report and Record issued by the Financial Policy Committee (FPC) of the Bank of England. Here's a llnk:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/financial-stability-report/2019/july-2019.pdf

"The UK banking system remains strong enough to continue to lend through the wide range of UK economic and financial shocks that could be associated with Brexit."

Would the "drivel" you refer to be the drivel published by the boys who knows what they're talking about...?

25 minutes ago, Forethat said:

In case you're interested, I suggest the Financial Stability Report and Record issued by the Financial Policy Committee (FPC) of the Bank of England. Here's a llnk:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/financial-stability-report/2019/july-2019.pdf

"The UK banking system remains strong enough to continue to lend through the wide range of UK economic and financial shocks that could be associated with Brexit."

Would the "drivel" you refer to be the drivel published by the boys who knows what they're talking about...?

I'm listening.

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/mark-carney

image.png.54954b5a94b731174e775f47b985af1b.png

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm listening.

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/mark-carney

image.png.54954b5a94b731174e775f47b985af1b.png

I think you're discussing two completely separate issues.

1. Are the banking and financial systems ready for Brexit (as per efforts by thousands and thousands of people who've worked for almost two years to prepare)? The answer is undoubtedly: Yes (I'm one of them)

2. What impact will Brexit have on the UK economy? And the answer to that question is: I don't have a clue and that was not the question I answered. And I am not interested in debating that issue.

So in short, yes, banking and financial systems are ready for Brexit.

*another happy customer*

36 minutes ago, Forethat said:

1. Are the banking and financial systems ready for Brexit (as per efforts by thousands and thousands of people who've worked for almost two years to prepare)? The answer is undoubtedly: Yes (I'm one of them)

2. What impact will Brexit have on the UK economy? And the answer to that question is: I don't have a clue and that was not the question I answered. And I am not interested in debating that issue.

*another happy customer*

How can they possibly be ready for brexit?

Nobody has a clue whether it will be a soft or hard brexit, or a brexit in name only.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Please explain what that means, but please please please do not use one of your analogies again.

It means that transactional systems are prepared to deal with the consequences of Brexit, including financial shocks and related implications such as a global financial crisis. In this case I want to refer to the official report:

3 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It means that transactional systems are prepared to deal with the consequences of Brexit, including financial shocks and related implications such as a global financial crisis. In this case I want to refer to the official report:

I feel a lot safer now that I know the UK is prepared to deal with a global financial crisis.

But I still think that these matters should have been addressed in an orderly way, in consultation with the EU.

But since the UK (government, opposition, parliament, people, judiciary) was not able to make up their minds as to what type of brexit they wanted, that was impossible.

The economy needs stability, and if something has to change, it should be gradual, well planned and in consultation with all those involved - and carried by a reasonable majority.

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

He once said in a thread that he'd bet his last dime. Invoked a pointless analogy about shipping pork to Virginia. He repeatedly introduces irrelevant Hillary Clinton references into threads. What are the odds that he is what he represents himself to be?

No wonder he likes liar Boris then. Birds of a feather. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/bercow-warns-pm-not-to-defy-law-on-no-deal-brexit

Rowena Mason and Owen Bowcott

Thu 12 Sep 2019 23.34 BST

John Bercow: I’ll stop Boris Johnson breaking the law on Brexit

Commons Speaker issues direct challenge to ministers threatening to ignore legislation

more...

5 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Your argument being that as it hasn't happened yet, it isn't going to? 

This seems to flt in the face of cause and effect. 

I've already cjted my extensive experience of logistics at Dover but you are saying this wont happen...this is based on what?

Dutch logistic controls,stated no problems envisaged...none

Brexit in original form was addressing mass immigration,this has got confused with deals/no deals,Brexit needs to happen urgently.  Whole areas of northern England have been taken over by a culture that is totally alien to any feature that was recognised just a few decades before..that was the reasoning for the Brexit.  Now we see boatloads crossing the English channel,not from countries effected by torture,but Philippines,Vietnam,Pakistan for Gods sake,just get shut ASAP. The UK just puts up a welcome mat,..Asia Bibi, should be so grateful of her Canadian escape planning, nice flight,nice condo there in Ottawa,but no,wants Bradford ASAP,well the general populace of the UK do not want her ,or her like,if the Brexit vote was put before the UK electorate  again,in its original form,it would be a result that for sure would not be ignored  for 3 long years

Universal Credit/Pension Credit for sure are having an effect,but that wants throttling back to control immigration ,that was what Brexit was all about,if dealing or none,so be it

21 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Brexit in original form was addressing mass immigration,this has got confused with deals/no deals,Brexit needs to happen urgently.  Whole areas of northern England have been taken over by a culture that is totally alien to any feature that was recognised just a few decades before..that was the reasoning for the Brexit.  Now we see boatloads crossing the English channel,not from countries effected by torture,but Philippines,Vietnam,Pakistan for Gods sake,just get shut ASAP. The UK just puts up a welcome mat,..Asia Bibi, should be so grateful of her Canadian escape planning, nice flight,nice condo there in Ottawa,but no,wants Bradford ASAP,well the general populace of the UK do not want her ,or her like,if the Brexit vote was put before the UK electorate  again,in its original form,it would be a result that for sure would not be ignored  for 3 long years

Universal Credit/Pension Credit for sure are having an effect,but that wants throttling back to control immigration ,that was what Brexit was all about,if dealing or none,so be it

Please can you show how Brexit would prevent boatloads of immigrants crossing the channel. In the long term it will reduce immigrants from EU countries, nowhere else. The "boatloads", btw, usually average 12-14 people. Immigrants from the Phillipines, Pakistan etc. primarily enter via Heathrow, not across the channel, how does Brexit stem that flow.

Thank you for your very honest post which illustrates nicely that Brexit, for many voters, was all about immigration, and primarily brown people, who wouldn't be stopped by Brexit anyway. Really good example how racist xenophobia is the driving force behind Brexit.

Not to worry, Yaxley-Lennon is due out of prison soon, he can bang the drum for you.

27 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Dutch logistic controls,stated no problems

do you realise how little goods vehicles go to NL from Dover and the fact remains that any vehicles crossing the channel will have to clear customs on arrival.... FOREVER.. thiß includes Irish trucks transiting through UK.

An 8 minute delay will block the motorway to Dover in a day and many trucks will face 8 to 12 hours delay.

Over half of UK transport compnies don't even have permits to enter the EU. ....and the number of trucks allowed even with permits is restricted. Loads will have to be transposed at borders either by transferring the loads or changing trailers if rhey are registered. 

EU vehicles travelling within the EU don't do any of this they dont even have to stop at birders. UK vehicles will also have to clear customs again at the EU country of destination on arrival.

Every UK transport company will have to take into account the extra time and cost of keeping a truck and driver on the road and as virtually all goods are delivered by road in UK this will mean increased costs to the consumer on top of the increases caused by tariffs. 

This is not limited to no deal Brexit, this will be continuous unless UK joins the customs union (including free movement of labour) or in other words remains in the EU .

*another happy customer*
Another Hard Brexiteer says he doesn't have a clue. Surprise!

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Please can you show how Brexit would prevent boatloads of immigrants crossing the channel. In the long term it will reduce immigrants from EU countries, nowhere else. The "boatloads", btw, usually average 12-14 people. Immigrants from the Phillipines, Pakistan etc. primarily enter via Heathrow, not across the channel, how does Brexit stem that flow.

Thank you for your very honest post which illustrates nicely that Brexit, for many voters, was all about immigration, and primarily brown people, who wouldn't be stopped by Brexit anyway. Really good example how racist xenophobia is the driving force behind Brexit.

Not to worry, Yaxley-Lennon is due out of prison soon, he can bang the drum for you.

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Thought he was an icon of the remain party?

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You are Irish.  Last comment first Robinson will not be banging any drum for me,period. The people that matter,really matter are those coppers and their like,the ones that uphold the law. Now those coppers have their own ideas,and thoughts,well observed ones too,unlike you. Those thought would make Robinson look like a third division tiddly-winks player,its pension that keeps the coppers thoughts uppermost.

Now these "brown people" came lastly from the EU,trekking for no other reason through EU countries than that free money was more easily available in UK.   The EU made decisions that were against the UK population wanted,ie Bexit happened.

where do you do your reading?  was 186 last weekend,please more reading on your behalf

30 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

do you realise how little goods vehicles go to NL from Dover and the fact remains that any vehicles crossing the channel will have to clear customs on arrival.... FOREVER.. thiß includes Irish trucks transiting through UK.

An 8 minute delay will block the motorway to Dover in a day and many trucks will face 8 to 12 hours delay.

Over half of UK transport compnies don't even have permits to enter the EU. ....and the number of trucks allowed even with permits is restricted. Loads will have to be transposed at borders either by transferring the loads or changing trailers if rhey are registered. 

EU vehicles travelling within the EU don't do any of this they dont even have to stop at birders. UK vehicles will also have to clear customs again at the EU country of destination on arrival.

Every UK transport company will have to take into account the extra time and cost of keeping a truck and driver on the road and as virtually all goods are delivered by road in UK this will mean increased costs to the consumer on top of the increases caused by tariffs. 

This is not limited to no deal Brexit, this will be continuous unless UK joins the customs union (including free movement of labour) or in other words remains in the EU .

Do,es that mean the pair of clogs I ordered could be late arriving?

49 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

You are Irish.  Last comment first Robinson will not be banging any drum for me,period. The people that matter,really matter are those coppers and their like,the ones that uphold the law. Now those coppers have their own ideas,and thoughts,well observed ones too,unlike you. Those thought would make Robinson look like a third division tiddly-winks player,its pension that keeps the coppers thoughts uppermost.

Now these "brown people" came lastly from the EU,trekking for no other reason through EU countries than that free money was more easily available in UK.   The EU made decisions that were against the UK population wanted,ie Bexit happened.

where do you do your reading?  was 186 last weekend,please more reading on your behalf

1 hour ago, zorrow424 said:

Irish? 555.

"Brexit in original form was addressing mass immigration"

For racist xenophobes who soaked up Dominic Cummings' propoganda, yes.

"Whole areas of Northern England have been taken over by a culture that is totally alien to any feature that was recognised"

So that would be Moslems, in the North of England, primarily Pakistanis. More racist xenophobia.

"Now we see boatloads crossing the English channel,not from countries effected by torture,but Philippines,Vietnam,Pakistan"

Just Google "nationalities migrating via Calais" and you will see what nonsense that is. Just racist xenophobia.

"Asia Bibi, should be so grateful of her Canadian escape planning"

Asia Bibi was Pakistani (you've really got a thing about Pakistanis, haven't you?) and nothing to do with Brexit. Just more racist rhetoric.

"Universal Credit/Pension Credit for sure are having an effect,but that wants throttling back to control immigration ,that was what Brexit was all about,if dealing or none,so be it"

It was. Cameron had a meeting with Donald Tusk in 2014 where they agreed that the UK could throttle back benefits for EU citizens for the next 7 years.

"Now these "brown people" came lastly from the EU,trekking for no other reason through EU countries than that free money was more easily available in UK."

It's a very small minority of migrants to the UK that enter via this route and, in no way be prevented by Brexit. Some fear that it would increase as we would recieve less co-operation from the French authorities to stem this flow.

16 hours ago, puipuitom said:

a) EVERY step made by the EU in further integrations is made AFTER the signing of ALL heads of government of all EU member states. The Lisbon treaty is even ratified in the UK parliament. Same is valid for every future step.

b) When you can get hold of a world map, just look in it. These countries are NOT in Europe. Second: USA is big enough to stand on its own. China: see the impact of ONLY an import duty rise in the USA. Australia: such a small nation. Japan.. has an agreement with the EU. That’s why Honda leaves the UK, as from Japan, no import duty on cars. And India... one big poverty house, despite centuries of British Raj ( plunder) 

And that's the point. It seems your country and others have inferior complexes or small country syndrome. They are happy to be led by the Germans.

Many countries do perfectly fine outside the EU. Yes look at the map. Russia don't need the EU but not to worry Turkey will be joining in the future.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, not at all.

There is a start.

People decided (not binding) that they want to leave the EU.

But contradict yourself. Parliament has already said countless times that it is legal.

They voted based on wrong and incomplete information.

Oh dear still using that chestnut. You will be saying next that politicians never tell the truth. Have you even considered that information factual or incorrect is irrelevant to a persons perception or beliefs. that's what democratic vote is about

The rest of your post is worthless.

Trying looking up Ted Heath PM and what he said in 1973. Talk about lies. But your argument doesn't look at the root cause does it.

10 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Cameron may have set the ball rolling, but it was Theresa May who scored two own goals with her appalling BRINO deal and no preparations for a no-deal Brexit.

One can only speculate how she must now feel, watching her luckless successor desperately trying to salvage a result from the game she so abjectly threw away.

Do you seriously consider that leaving the EU on a no-deal basis is best for Britain? If so, you are deluded, sorry. 

Why?

Because about 48 million people aren't going to agree with you. I can't wait for the November 2019 election to see the tory party and johnson and his right-wing cronies - and a no-deal Brexit - get ditched. 

14 hours ago, kingdong said:

Reason the pound started tanking was Gordon Brown devalued the pound in 2008 to bail out his banking buddies in the city,then Cameron ( who was terrified of ukip) decided to have a binding referendum which he lost,rather flies in the face of your last point.sorry to hear about your financial circumstances,let's all hope you have a country to come back to.

The Britain I would prefer is probably never going to happen. And as at now, after disposing of all my assets at a loss, I'm sure not going back to any country that still taxes my private pension income whilst freezing my state pension. 

So you can surmise just how I feel about Brexit, and even more a no-deal scenario that johnson is undemocratically pursuing. 

10 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

But many many dead ones who voted leave to be replaced by younger ones that won’t - thus the leavers panic to avoid a second referendum.

Can you show the evidence for that or are you talking a load of rollocks.

So those people that died you know voted Brexit. How?

Those who are coming of age of 18 you know would vote Remain. :coffee1:

I will save you the time, you are making it up. Fake news,

Archived