UK's worst-case no-deal Brexit plan warns of food shortages, public disorder

webfact

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Even if all that is alleged against Vote Leave is true, it is clear that this did not create an unfair playing field. Both sides in the Referendum exploited loopholes to maximise how much they could spend. The Remain side had the advantage of having the government machine – and £9.3 million of public funds on clear campaign literature – on its side. If the referendum was unbalanced, the advantage was with Remain – and yet it still lost."

https://capx.co/remain-not-leave-had-an-unfair-advantage-in-the-eu-referendum/

Did remain employ companies such as AIQ and Cambridge Analytica, to send 60 million+ troll messages to potential voters, each one tailored to the recipient by state of the art algorithms, with the aim of brainwashing them with the theory that, "If you tell a lie often enough, people will believe it"?

Level playing field my backside.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Forethat said:

I for one agree with Garvan Walshe. I think ignoring democracy would be a much bigger issue than the unknown outcome of leaving in the first place.

So let's not ignore democracy.

Our elected representatives can't or won't make the decision; so give it back to us to make.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Good. You have not mentioned the 2008 global financial crisis and its effects. The trend starting 2008/9 was flattened and tapered off only after CON got elected (austerity yes but imagine what it would be now if LAB had stayed in). Unemployment rose temporarily for the same reason.

Suggest you take a look at similar data for the Mediterranean EU states. They are interesting! 

Thank you for the reply Nauseus, and I will look at the data you suggest if I can find it.  If you have a link it would make my life easier, but no matter.  Having said that aren't you begging the question a little?  The original contention by the poster I was responding to was that labour governments lead to high deficits and unemployment.  The graphs I posted suggested that after the crash you mentioned it was the conservatives who had high deficits and unemployment, to which your response is "well imagine what it would be like under labour".  Anyway I appreciate your response, so thanks once again.

EDIT to add: Regardless we are way off topic I suppose, so I understand if you don't continue to go down this road.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

It seems there are racists within the arch remainers which you are keeping stum about.

No excuse for racism by anyone; but a little bit of research will show that it is more prevalent amongst Brexiteers than amongst Remainers.

2 hours ago, Slip said:

Interesting- I am no economist, but here are a couple of graphs that I have taken from the web and adjusted by colourising the bars to show red for labour governments and blue for conservative.  They don't seem on the surface of it to agree with your comments, but I am happy to be corrected.

UK_Debt_to_GDP_ratio.jpg.3f36e178a88b8862c0d34dfa169b456a.jpg

unemployment_rate_uk_LFS.jpg.c7bf16cfda729accd4a522a6589964aa.jpg

original graph sources:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/UK_Debt_to_GDP_ratio.png

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tutor2u-media/subjects/economics/unemployment_rate_uk_LFS.png?mtime=20160405150224

I assume you are unacquainted with the global recession of 2008 and the subsequent mess Gordon Brown's Labour government left in their wake. At least under the Tories we haven't had to twice devalue the pound (1949 and 1967) or been obliged to go cap in hand to the IMF for the biggest loan in history, as was Jim Callaghan in 1976.

One shudders to imagine how much worse the current debt/unemployment situation would have been if the Scottish Labour leader who sold half our gold reserves for a song was still in situ.

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:
39 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Don't tell me, tell Farage. It was he who played the race card during the campaign.

I didnt follow Farages campaign , in what way did he play the race card ?

Plenty of examples, the most infamous one being

Image result for Farage race card in referendum campaign

Not many white faces in that!

Are you seriously trying to tell us that you never saw that at the time?

Where were you; couldn't have been the UK!

31 minutes ago, sanemax said:
35 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So let's not ignore democracy.

Our elected representatives can't or won't make the decision; so give it back to us to make.

Thats what they did , they asked the people to decide and we decided to leave

Yes, based upon the promises of Cummings and co; promises which have since been shown to be false.

We still could have had a Brexit which incorporated most of those promises, though; only Parliament voted it down.

As our elected representatives can't or won't make the decision on what sort of Brexit we have, or even if we should have one at all; let us do it.

Why are you against giving us the people the final, legally binding say in the most democratic way possible?

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

'Here in Thailand.'

So you finally admit it. Another anti immigration immigrant.

Yet living in Thailand gives you expert knowledge of what is happening in the UK in general and the North of England in particular? (See many posts by you passim).

Not against immigration,you ever seen it up there in Uk   the 10 year BBC then and now spells it out    family commitments at the moment  Ill dig it out

37 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, based upon the promises of Cummings and co; promises which have since been shown to be false.

We still could have had a Brexit which incorporated most of those promises, though; only Parliament voted it down.

As our elected representatives can't or won't make the decision on what sort of Brexit we have, or even if we should have one at all; let us do it.

Why are you against giving us the people the final, legally binding say in the most democratic way possible?

Because we have already had one  DUH

47 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Plenty of examples, the most infamous one being

Image result for Farage race card in referendum campaign

Not many white faces in that!

Are you seriously trying to tell us that you never saw that at the time?

Where were you; couldn't have been the UK!

So what? racist tag? bigot tag?  so what?  and no I would not wish to live alongside any of them,  its called White Flight

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My mind is open.

Open to trading with the whole world, not just a small part of it.

Open to controlling our fishing waters.

Open to controlled immigration based on the needs of the country, not the country that issued the passport.

Open to setting our own laws.

Open to spending tax payers money on the UK, not on EU net beneficiaries.

Open to respecting the result of the democratic referendum.

Open to being able to democratically select/remove who runs the country, not leaving it to unelected EU officials.

If you need a comfort blanket that's fine, I have faith in the UK to succeed without being tied to the EU's apron strings.

QUOTE: Open to controlled immigration based on the needs of the country, not the country that issued the passport.

Basically you are saying:

Let poor countries spend their money on educating some of their citizens, next we will steal those educated citizens from those countries.

Doctors, nurses, higly qualified tradesmen,....

SHOCKING !

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

No excuse for racism by anyone; but a little bit of research will show that it is more prevalent amongst Brexiteers than amongst Remainers.

So what,so damned what?  give me the badge and Ill wear it with pride. Are you so small minded that you think accusing anybody of racism is worth a fig. get over yourself,it means absolutely nothing,nothing at all,in fact its laughable

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

"These colours don't run" was explained to you. Not racist but was filched by a racist group, same as the Cross of St George. You can be a remainer and still be patriotic, in fact I would think it essential to be a remainer if you are patriotic.

Which remainer made references to football hooliganism? If you think it was me, please quote.

You,when you made references to English a nd.Russian hooligans fighting.look back on your previous posts.

17 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Not against immigration,you ever seen it up there in Uk   the 10 year BBC then and now spells it out    family commitments at the moment  Ill dig it out

Can you repost this in English?

Then I'll respond.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

"Even if all that is alleged against Vote Leave is true, it is clear that this did not create an unfair playing field. Both sides in the Referendum exploited loopholes to maximise how much they could spend. The Remain side had the advantage of having the government machine – and £9.3 million of public funds on clear campaign literature – on its side. If the referendum was unbalanced, the advantage was with Remain – and yet it still lost."

https://capx.co/remain-not-leave-had-an-unfair-advantage-in-the-eu-referendum/

Great, now you're quoting the far right wing mouthpiece of the Center for Policy Studies because you can't find a legitimate source for such nonsense. And you still won't give your view on Electoral Fraud. I quoted the head of the Electoral Commission to you and all you can come back with is this nonsense?

17 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:
56 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Because we have already had one  DUH

We had one in 1975; so why have another one in 2016? 

DUH!

3 hours ago, Slip said:

Interesting- I am no economist, but here are a couple of graphs that I have taken from the web and adjusted by colourising the bars to show red for labour governments and blue for conservative.  They don't seem on the surface of it to agree with your comments, but I am happy to be corrected.

UK_Debt_to_GDP_ratio.jpg.3f36e178a88b8862c0d34dfa169b456a.jpg

unemployment_rate_uk_LFS.jpg.c7bf16cfda729accd4a522a6589964aa.jpg

original graph sources:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/UK_Debt_to_GDP_ratio.png

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tutor2u-media/subjects/economics/unemployment_rate_uk_LFS.png?mtime=20160405150224

Interesting. It seems to be more correlated with the general economic climate (economic crises) than the týpe of government.

18 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

So what? racist tag? bigot tag?  so what?  and no I would not wish to live alongside any of them,  its called White Flight

Yet people try to tell us Brexiteers aren't racist!

You must hate it there in Thailand; being surrounded by all those brown people!

27 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Great, now you're quoting the far right wing mouthpiece of the Center for Policy Studies because you can't find a legitimate source for such nonsense. And you still won't give your view on Electoral Fraud. I quoted the head of the Electoral Commission to you and all you can come back with is this nonsense?

Isn,t 9.3 million pounds of tax payers money used in project fear fraud,how much in benefit did the brexi t party receive in government funding for their campaign?

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

Yet people try to tell us Brexiteers aren't racist!

You must hate it there in Thailand; being surrounded by all those brown people!

Like this DUH   I pay my way,really I do,unlike the excrement the UK imports,Thailand would kick them out in seconds,now that's racism 

Not racist, but Somalian woman living in converted sea container in Uk complained recently of feeling claustrophobic at conditions her and 4 kids,how the hell she got there is no mystery,small boat, now Id help really I would,cut a hole in top of container

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We have a lot to thank Sir Oliver Letwin , Hilary Benn , John Bercow and many others for saving our beloved country from a very, very damaging outcome.

These 3 sit houses have the audacity to tell the people who voted in the referendum, whether they voted remain or leave, they know better. "Our beloved country", most remainers do nothing but Brit bash, so save us the patriotism. They are a disgrace and only care about themselves.

You do your fair of bashing too, but now you a patriot. Please, your embarrassing yourself.

2 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Like this DUH   I pay my way,really I do,unlike the excrement the UK imports,Thailand would kick them out in seconds,now that's racism 

Not racist, but Somalian woman living in converted sea container in Uk complained recently of feeling claustrophobic at conditions her and 4 kids,how the hell she got there is no mystery,small boat, now Id help really I would,cut a hole in top of container

at least she is not a sex tourist, unlike most immigrants in Thailand

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: Open to controlled immigration based on the needs of the country, not the country that issued the passport.

Basically you are saying:

Let poor countries spend their money on educating some of their citizens, next we will steal those educated citizens from those countries.

Doctors, nurses, higly qualified tradesmen,....

SHOCKING !

Are they forced to come to the West at gunpoint?no,they,'re intelligent enough to realise what a state their country is in,the nurse who treats me as an out patient is from zimbabwe,Mugabe's loss is the nhs,s gain,suppose 50 years ago you,d have been chanting give them back their land,chimurenga,uhuru etc well they,ve got their self goverment,and you seem to think these educated citizens should have to remain against their will in these post colonial paradises?

Archived