BANGKOK
webfact

World-beating currency gives Thailand major economic headache

Thailand is not where you want to retire is you plan to stay in BKK. Just too expensive. Vnam, PI or Cambo are the up and comers... Way better value right now

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RobbyXNorway said:

Asia is not immune to the coming western crash. There is a lot of "hot" money from western hedgefunds and other sources that has been funneled into the Asian markets. Once the SHTF this money will be pulled out. Kinda like pulling the rug out from under them. And as a crash escalates and the Chinese hot money also gets pulled out...OUCH! All these smaller countries who looked so good are out of funds and in deep water. The financial markets are so connected now that it will be like an economic tsunami originating from the western countries spreads out and wrecks havoc worldwide.

Thailand is no different. They will be in an even more precarious position as the export drops like a rock and tourism halts to nothing. Thailand is not different. And this time is not different.

There is a lot of doom and gloom on the financial horizon. Best be prepared. The only uncertain thing is the timing. I have been waiting for this for several years already, but the central banks have kept papering it over with more debt and "stimulus". Creating even more hot money. But at some point the dam will break.

You got it all right. 

I hope this happens, as this will increase the value of Euro to THB immense. If your money comes from "Europe" then this is the best case scenario. 
In addition as everyone will loose their home/cars (can't pay the loan) and maybe jobs, this will also decrease the costs of some goods in Thailand.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Yes the US does monitor currency fixing which is what is clearly going on here. Their isn't anything in this country worth a plug nickel and nothing of value to offer the rest of the world. All of this is very unfortunate for the average Thai citizen as they are very wonderful people. I have many Thai friends here and there is a very real sadness behind those beautiful smiles we have all grown to love.

I agree with everything up until the word 'world'. 

They most definitely deserve whatever outcome befalls them. 

And, I knew the smiles were fake from day 1.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Thai currency is supporting the economy. Thailand has a Western problem of aging population with low growth rate and the problem of developing countries trapped in a middle income economy. And this is caused by opening up brothels  fronting as bars and pimping nation's daughters to sexpats for marriage for decades. No middle income economy has escaped poverty by this formula. It sounds harsh and nobody, Thais and farangs, will admit it because it sounds bad. 

Don't you think that the unlimited supply of very low paid workers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia has a more detrimental effect on Thai lower rung prospects? 

• Like 1

It gives me a damned headache too. Makes visiting Thailand 14% more expensive than when the dollar was at 35. Now it's 30 again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, burner2014 said:

You got it all right. 

I hope this happens, as this will increase the value of Euro to THB immense. If your money comes from "Europe" then this is the best case scenario. 
In addition as everyone will loose their home/cars (can't pay the loan) and maybe jobs, this will also decrease the costs of some goods in Thailand.

The Euro is in the doldrums at 110 per $100. I'm waiting for 35 baht to the dollar, as it should be, not 30.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Thailand is not where you want to retire is you plan to stay in BKK. Just too expensive. Vnam, PI or Cambo are the up and comers... Way better value right now

Vietnam is fine as long as you avoid Saigon like the plague. What an awful city (traffic-choked by motorbikes, and you can't walk the sidewalks either because the motorbikes are parked everywhere, and also, families who own the shops sit out front and cook.) I haven't been to Hoi An but hear good things about it. A friend of mine runs an international school in Yangon. It seems like a pleasant place to stay for a while, and I imagine the women are amazing if they're anything like the Vietnamese in terms of beauty.

• Like 1