Water found in atmosphere of planet beyond our solar system

webfact

Water found in atmosphere of planet beyond our solar system

2019-09-12T001352Z_2_LYNXNPEF8A1W5_RTROPTP_4_SCIENCE-ASTRONOMY-WATER.JPG

An artist's impression released by NASA on September 11, 2019 shows the planet K2-18b, its host star and an accompanying planet. Courtesy ESA/Hubble/M. Kornmesser/NASA Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists for the first time have detected water in the atmosphere of an Earth-like planet orbiting a distant star, evidence that a key ingredient for life exists beyond our solar system, according to a study published on Wednesday.

Water vapour was found in the atmosphere of K2-18b, one of hundreds of "super-Earths" - worlds ranging in size between Earth and Neptune - documented in a growing new field of astronomy devoted to the exploration of so-called exoplanets elsewhere in the Milky Way galaxy.

More than 4,000 exoplanets of all types and sizes have been detected overall.

The latest discovery was reported in research by a team of scientists at University College London (UCL) published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Astronomy.

For the first time scientists have identified liquid water on a planet outside the solar system, suggesting it could support life with habitable temperatures. Gavino Garay has more.

"We found water," UCL astrophysicist Ingo Waldmann told Reuters of the breakthrough, revealed from observations made with the Hubble Space Telescope, which analysed starlight filtered through K2-18b's atmosphere.

More precisely, it marks the first time scientists have found water in the atmosphere around a super-Earth - as opposed to a gas giant - orbiting a star within its "habitable zone," just the right distance for liquid water to potentially exist on the surface.

Angelos Tsiaras, an astronomer at UCL, said the team is focusing its attention on identifying exoplanets with conditions similar to those on Earth.

"But of course this is not in order to find a place where we could go. This is still science fiction," Tsiaras said, noting that K2-18b orbits a dwarf star in the constellation Leo that lies 100 light years from Earth.

While light from the sun takes several minutes to reach Earth, light from K2-18b's star takes a century to reach our planet, "so for us to travel there is impossible," he said.

"Given it's so far away we don't really have any other choice but stay on our own Earth, so it's important to make Earth great again rather than looking for an alternative to go to," Tsiaras said.

Aside from the tremendous distance separating Earth from K2-18b, the exoplanet is likely exposed to far more radiation than Earth, diminishing the prospects for life evolving there.

However, the discovery brings astronomers closer to answering the fundamental question of how unique Earth is in the universe, the scientists said.

(Writing by Barbara Goldberg in New York; Editing by Steve Gorman and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-12

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Scientists for the first time have detected water in the atmosphere of an Earth-like planet orbiting a distant star, evidence that a key ingredient for life exists beyond our solar system, according to a study published on Wednesday.

I am really happy to be living in a time whereby humanity is making huge strides in understanding our universe; it is wonderful that we are able to learn as much as we do. Further, I was reading about this on other news sites, and almost all of them point out that the next generation space-based telescopes which are coming on-line over the next few years will be able to tell us so much more. 

However...

"...evidence that a key ingredient for life exists beyond our solar system..."

...seems to me to be incredibly presumptuous and waaaaaaay too earth-centric.

Given the size of the universe, isn't it more likely that any life to be discovered will be radically different from our own?

Go space exploration!

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Given the size of the universe, isn't it more likely that any life to be discovered will be radically different from our own?

My own view on that is that unless a race of beings evolved to survive previous big bangs, or dinosaurs were wiped out similarly on another planet millions of years before here on earth, then we are the current most evolved and intelligent (haha) race in the universe. We will find life, most likely reptillian (hopefully not V'sh) in nature or an amoeba in some soup. 

12 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

However...

"...evidence that a key ingredient for life exists beyond our solar system..."

...seems to me to be incredibly presumptuous and waaaaaaay too earth-centric.

What is so incredibly presumptuous?   The article does not claim evidence for life beyond our solar system, only that a key ingredient for life (liquid water) does.

Exciting times ahead for astronomy geeks as scientific techniques improve exponentially.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

How radically?  It's highly probable that any extra terrestrial life, should it exist, would:

Be carbon based - there really isn't any other element that can form the long chains and complex molecules that even single celled organisms require, let alone multiple celled ones.  The next possibility would be silicon, but that is nowhere near as versatile as carbon.

Require a self replicating molecule to encode and preserve genetic information for future generations, such as DNA.  It may not actually be DNA, but must be similar.  Having molecules that just replicate randomly each generation wouldn't produce any viable life, and having molecules that always split to identical copies would not allow evolution to occur.

However, even within these constraints, Earth itself has many life forms that differ greatly, in appearance, from our own human ones, so discovering a planet of, say, intelligent squid like creatures wouldn't be so radically different from what we already know.

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

we  could also never  fly  500 years ago

I love your opptamism,but do you honestly think that the world as we know it is going to be around in another 500 yrs ,the way population is climbing ,a disaster is coming ,maybe not in 20 or 30 yrs ,but with 12 billion on the planet by 2050 something will have to give .God help my grandchildren when they are my age ,

yeah, but there are still only two large rock planets in the at all ever knowable universe.  everything else is dead or so many light years from here they might as well be giant "Chinese" teapots floating in the vacuum of space.  including THIS one.  

okay okay, yeah there are a few moons out past the asteroid belt. but those are not "planets" even to the folks who need to call any large round thing a "planet" so that Earth seems blessed as [only] one planet "out of billions and billions of stars and planets".  and thus made for man and his dominion.  

not a large rock planet. ????

there are still only 2 large terrestrial planets with GHG atmospheres.  2 not billions.  in our "really real" universe.

and both are exactly the same distance from "The Sun" [comparatively, in the universe.  actually, even as to infrared radiation as well].  yet our one and only sister planet is 500 degrees C.... in the coldness of space that's kind of weird.  

but we are blessed.

hey! far out man!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

K2-18b orbits a dwarf star in the constellation Leo that lies 100 light years from Earth

That means light need 100 years to travel to there. Anything else is slower than light.

So what would it mean if this planet would be perfect, just like earth, maybe with no pollution at all and maybe with millions of beautiful young women waiting for the men from earth? It would still be impossible for any of us to go there. We would never every arrive before we die.

So it's all very interesting theoretically but useless for the real world.

I will start by saying that the very thought of humans on earth being the most intelligent being in the universe is a very depressing idea for my mind to grasp!

I am a student of science. I love science, and astronomy, physics, and the related areas, like quantum physics, and mechanics, cosmology, and the study of our truly amazing universe. For me, as a rational man, to even conceive of us being the only form of intelligent life in a universe that is so vast, that one of the galaxies, such as our Milky Way, contains nearly 100 billion solar systems, and the universe as a whole, is thought to have over 100 billion galaxies, the mere thought of us being the only human, or the only species with our level of intelligence, or way, way beyond our level, is positively preposterous, arrogant, inane, and bizarre. I consider it to be an impossibility, quite frankly.

I am fairly certain there are millions of intelligent civilizations, throughout the universes and I would bet we are one of the lowest, in terms of technology, advancement, consciousness, and evolution. With such vast distances, there would be no way, with our relatively primitive current levels of technology, for us to know about them. Does that mean that they do not exist? Of course not. Even as a man who loves science, I can use my reason, to deduce that just because I do not have proof positive, that in no way means something does not exist. 

Prior to Newton, the majority of the world did not believe in gravity. Did that prevent an apple falling from a tree, from hitting those people ignorant of gravity on their heads? 

Personally, I see the need for exploration of exoplanets, and the desire to establish a factual basis for life in other realms. But, I consider it fairly unnecessary, and the embodiment of hubris, to consider that we are the "only ones". Such a sad thought that would be. Really? We are the best this vast universe has to offer? 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am fairly certain there are millions of intelligent civilizations

I dont think so, other  life maybe , advanced, more doubtful but not  impossible, then there's the "time"  and distance  issue, they may have been and gone and left no trace at all.

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Big Deal , its so far away we could never get there ,they could never get here ,so what does all this waste of our taxes achieve for you and me?

At a point in time, people knew of Thailand but getting there was not viable due to travel times and distance. Now you have the opportunity to live here and return home for holidays. Everything is relative to it's current point in time, without progress we would all still be living in the trees.

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

I dont think so, other  life maybe , advanced, more doubtful but not  impossible, then there's the "time"  and distance  issue, they may have been and gone and left no trace at all.

From my point of view, only hubris, arrogance, denial, and lack of scientific understanding of the utter vastness of this universe, are the things that can and will lead to such a conclusion. 

What have some of our most brilliant minds said about this possibility?

Hawkings: The well-known scientist also became more speculative about the existence of aliens in the universe, too. He thought it's probable that other life forms exist and compared a possible alien visit to Earth to Columbus trip to the Americas. Extraterrestrials likely have more advanced technology and the potential need to conquer the planet for power or resources, which would lead humans to potentially be wiped out from war or disease. Therefore we should not try to communicate with aliens.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/famous-scientists/physicists/stephen-hawking4.htm

In short? We're too self-obsessed to even imagine extraterrestrial life, let alone find and communicate with it, and if there's not going to be proof within our lifetimes, we're not much interested in looking. Is there intelligent life out there? Probably, but we'll probably never find it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2019/03/18/are-we-in-a-galactic-zoo-protected-by-aliens-scientists-meet-to-investigate-the-great-silence/#32fff4181ce7

Kepler’s answer was unequivocal. There are more planets than there are stars, and at least a quarter are Earth-size planets in their star’s so-called habitable zone, where conditions are neither too hot nor too cold for life. With a minimum of 100 billion stars in the Milky Way, that means there are at least 25 billion places where life could conceivably take hold in our galaxy alone—and our galaxy is one among trillions.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

From my point of view, only hubris, arrogance, denial, and lack of scientific understanding of the utter vastness of this universe, are the things that can and will lead to such a conclusion. 

You're assuming the universe is real, and we aren't just living in a simulation.

Which explains away a lot of the big questions, like why doesn't Newtons laws apply to the Universe and why haven't we had signals from the Universe?

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

we  could also never  fly  500 years ago

Scientists do believe, however, that we can time-travel to the future. They believe we can devise a way to travel *almost* at the speed of light. I don't recall the technical explanations, but it was interesting, and put forth by astrophysicists, not amateurs. They could conceivably travel to the nearest star system in about four years.  Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, which form a binary pair. They are an average of 4.3 light-years from Earth. The third star is Proxima Centauri. It is about 4.22 light-years from Earth and is the closest star other than the sun. When they returned to earth, as you know, time is relative and eight or nine years of near-light speed travel would equal many decades of earth time, just as Einstein proved and has even been proved by using atomic clocks on aircraft. (Two synchronized clocks, one on the plane and one on land; when the flight's over, the plane's clock is a few milliseconds behind earth's clock.)

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

What have some of our most brilliant minds said about this possibility?

Hawkings: The well-known scientist also became more speculative about the existence of aliens in the universe, too. He thought it's probable that other life forms exist and compared a possible alien visit to Earth to Columbus trip to the Americas. Extraterrestrials likely have more advanced technology and the potential need to conquer the planet for power or resources, which would lead humans to potentially be wiped out from war or disease. Therefore we should not try to communicate with aliens.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/famous-scientists/physicists/stephen-hawking4.htm

In short? We're too self-obsessed to even imagine extraterrestrial life, let alone find and communicate with it, and if there's not going to be proof within our lifetimes, we're not much interested in looking. Is there intelligent life out there? Probably, but we'll probably never find it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2019/03/18/are-we-in-a-galactic-zoo-protected-by-aliens-scientists-meet-to-investigate-the-great-silence/#32fff4181ce7

Kepler’s answer was unequivocal. There are more planets than there are stars, and at least a quarter are Earth-size planets in their star’s so-called habitable zone, where conditions are neither too hot nor too cold for life. With a minimum of 100 billion stars in the Milky Way, that means there are at least 25 billion places where life could conceivably take hold in our galaxy alone—and our galaxy is one among trillions.

Archived