Marriage visa extension (400k in bank) at Jomtien yesterday

On 9/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, murraynz said:

i understand your feelings..its so lucky that you had your wife there to assist...

next time you go ...they will probably have a new list of requirements...

no wonder so many of us prefer to use an agent...its far too degrading having to deal with the immigration people.

i seriously think that the 'obstructions are deliberate, they prefer us to use an agent, so that they get a 'kickback'...pocket money...

last year my agent managed to renew my visa in under 2hrs total, by using ALL  the exact same documents to immigration, that i had shown, earlier in the day---but they demanded embassy letters etc...

I did my last 1 year extension based on retirement at Jomtien Immigration in May this year.

I had the first number after lunch and the required documents.

1.01PM my number came up. I handed over everything to the woman at desk 8. She went through them real fast one by one, I had to sign twice and she asked for 1900 baht then she gave me the number tag for my passport pick up next day. I stood up and checked my phone, 1.04PM. That was a new personal record.

After exactly 90 days I went there again for the so called >800k 90 days check. 2 copies from my passport and 2 from my bankbook. No number was needed so straight to desk 8 and handed over the signed copies to the girl behind the desk. She looked at the copies for maybe 15sec (in total), looked up,smiled and said "You can go now". ????

• Like 2

i understand your feelings..its so lucky that you had your wife there to assist...

no wonder so many of us prefer to use an agent...its far too degrading having to deal with the immigration people.

i seriously think that the 'obstructions are deliberate, they prefer us to use an agent, so that they get a 'kickback'...pocket money...

last year my agent managed to renew my visa in under 2hrs total, by using ALL  the exact same documents to immigration, that i had shown, earlier in the day---but they demanded embassy letters etc...

I really don't understand how you can use an agent for a marriage extension, which this post is about, when they specifically say that you must apply in person with your wife, and they will visit you at home to verify your story. How can you get your visa in under 2 hours, when it takes 30 days for Immigration to process it in BKK?

I think maybe you (as so many others) are confusing 1 year extension based on MARRIAGE (400k baht requirement) with 1 year based on RETIREMENT (800k baht requirement).

"next time you go ...they will probably have a new list of requirements..."

Can't argue with that. Hopefully I can save the extra money to get back to the retirement extension, but as you say, there will probably be some other strings attached by then. 

On 9/13/2019 at 10:39 AM, Chazar said:

No fine for no TM30?

No, but I haven't been abroad since I last registered my address and I don't think my few trips out of the province were reported. I did submit a TM30 a few years back but lost the slip, maybe that's why she sent me to counter 10.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I did my last 1 year extension based on retirement at Jomtien Immigration in May this year.

I had the first number after lunch and the required documents.

1.01PM my number came up. I handed over everything to the woman at desk 8. She went through them real fast one by one, I had to sign twice and she asked for 1900 baht then she gave me the number tag for my passport pick up next day. I stood up and checked my phone, 1.04PM. That was a new personal record.

After exactly 90 days I went there again for the so called >800k 90 days check. 2 copies from my passport and 2 from my bankbook. No number was needed so straight to desk 8 and handed over the signed copies to the girl behind the desk. She looked at the copies for maybe 15sec (in total), looked up,smiled and said "You can go now". ????

It was the same for me the previous 12 retirement extensions, but since my embassy decided to stop issuing letter I decided to go for the retirement extension, which as I found out, is a lot more involved.

3 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I really don't understand how you can use an agent for a marriage extension, which this post is about, when they specifically say that you must apply in person with your wife, and they will visit you at home to verify your story. How can you get your visa in under 2 hours, when it takes 30 days for Immigration to process it in BKK?

I think maybe you (as so many others) are confusing 1 year extension based on MARRIAGE (400k baht requirement) with 1 year based on RETIREMENT (800k baht requirement).

The person you replied to may have been talking about using an agent for retirement extension. But, you can use an agent to handle the paperwork for a marriage extension also. I didn't feel like sitting at CW in Bangkok all day so I used agent. Well worth the extra money for me. I emailed the agent the pics & docs and he prepared the package. He picked us up and drove us there. We were In & out in less than 30 min and that included the 15 min at KBank on ground floor for letter & updated bank book. We went up to IO's office (no waiting in line). The IO asked a few questions, took a pic of me & wife and we were done in less than 10 min. Have conditional 1 mth stamp. The agent will take passport back Oct 2 for final stamp. No one called for a home visit yet, so they may not even come. Will know in a few weeks if everything is good.

Edited by BertM

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

It was the same for me the previous 12 retirement extensions, but since my embassy decided to stop issuing letter I decided to go for the retirement extension, which as I found out, is a lot more involved.

The requirements for the >800k in the bank method is really straight forward at Jomtien Immigration. It doesn't matter which IO you get. The >65k monthly method when you don't have an income letter from your embassy is more complicated. 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

"next time you go ...they will probably have a new list of requirements..."

Can't argue with that. Hopefully I can save the extra money to get back to the retirement extension, but as you say, there will probably be some other strings attached by then. 

The requirements for the extension based on retirement has hardly changed for years. One change came March 1 this year. You can't go below 400k in your bank account 3 months after applying, and for the next 5 months. Then top it up again to >800k two months before applying.

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The requirements for the extension based on retirement has hardly changed for years. One change came March 1 this year. You can't go below 400k in your bank account 3 months after applying, and for the next 5 months. Then top it up again to >800k two months before applying.

Well actually it is the one that did change and caused quite a fuss. Initially, at the end if the year when 4 Embassies discontinued income letters, then again later in March for those using money in the bank. 

What you wrote does not look correct for a retirement extension based on money in the bank. You need 800k seasoned for 2 month prior (previously 3 for renewal)  at time of application. The 800k needs to be maintained for a further 3 months after the extension is issued. (Some offices ask people to return with verification). The money can be reduced to 400k for months 4-10. At this time it is too early to say if checks will be made on this, but many expect it will be during the next application in 2020 (post March). The money will have to be replaced to 800k to comply with 2 month pre-seasoning for the new application. 

On 9/12/2019 at 9:55 AM, jesimps said:

It doesn't matter how many copies you take along, you'll be sent out for more.

Not me I use the Visa shop next door to Imm there in Jomtien. Those guys know what is needed and for the 1 or 2 hundred they charge they will fill all the forms out you simply sign them. I used to have the same problem till a friend put me on to them.

Edited by hereforgood

For the marriage extension, I understand you have to have 400K in the bank for seasoning 2 months before applying.  I have heard as soon as you have your renewal, you can use this money.  There is no need to keep it in the bank for 3 months like you do for retirement extension.  Is that correct, and is the difference understood by IO's around the country?  I really would like to be able to use that money rather than having it gather dust in a Thai account.

Also, are there restrictions on what type of bank account it must be in?  I'll be setting up this account in January to get this process started. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, USNret said:

For the marriage extension, I understand you have to have 400K in the bank for seasoning 2 months before applying.  I have heard as soon as you have your renewal, you can use this money.  There is no need to keep it in the bank for 3 months like you do for retirement extension.  Is that correct, and is the difference understood by IO's around the country?  I really would like to be able to use that money rather than having it gather dust in a Thai account.

Also, are there restrictions on what type of bank account it must be in?  I'll be setting up this account in January to get this process started. Thanks! 

No post seasoning. You can withdraw the money when you have the extension stamp in your passport.

A savings account is the most common account. You get about 0.5% interest in almost every bank.

Next account is the FDA, Fixed Deposit Account. This account is accepted if it doesn't have any restrictions or delays when withdrawing money,just loss of interest. This account is a bit more complicated. The interest is about 1.5% for 1 year deposit,and about 2% for 24 months deposit. If you withdraw money the interest will drop to the same as in a savings account.

• Like 1

You can use the money as soon as you have the extension stamp.... ie after the 1 month consideration period! You could be asked to show an updated bank book at that time. (When returning to get the extension stamp for the remaining 11 months.)

Since you seem to be planning to use the money a regular Savings account would be best.