what is needed if i change from retirement to marrige extension

I am due to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement in January 2020 I will come back from holiday

about 12 days before the old one expires, as I bank with Kasikorn my monthly payments are ''Dummy Branch''

not exactly what is needed I fear, I did try and open a Bangkok Bank account but I needed a letter of residence

which immigration told me they did not provide for Bank accounts any more? (I know I can go again for my driving

licence ?) I do not intend to have 800.000 baht sitting in a bank account for most of the year, so I am thinking of

switching to a marriage extension as I have about 500.000 baht in my account and with that and around 40,000 baht

pm of pension payments transferred each month to Kasikorn via Transferwise I have what they want but not in the

form they want it? but between all these changes and now the TM30 becoming another hoop to jump through I am

after 16 years getting a bit tired but do not want to go the way I feel we are being pushed= Agents

if Ubonjoe is about or someone who can plot my best way to continue my happy life with the wife, and finish this jigsaw.

Cheers. Zoza.     

Edited by zoza
sticking key

On 9/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, ubonjoe said:

It seems your best option is to apply for an extension based upon marriage. You will need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

Immigration would likely want to see a full year of transfers of at least 40k baht every month when you apply in January.

Nothing special is needed to change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage.

Here is my general list of requirements for the extension. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Ubon Joe, are you recommending to also show 40k monthly or as a belt and braces ?

Trouble is that marrisge and family visa is more trouble and time consuming. It should be easier as we are married to a Thai national or have a child by a Thai national and by the right of any human being be given the right to stay permanently, work and have a Thai passport. But we are not, as in Europe. 

I changed from family to retirement a couple of yesrs ago yo make it easier. However, now with having to transfer over 1.2 million

( 800, 000 in bank + 400,000 to live on for the 5 months you are not able to touch your own money) so as you have enough to live on is making it more desireable to go back to a family visa. If i'd have known I would be treated like this in Thailand I would not have invested so much in this country. It is disgusting the way the IO are dictating unfair laws.

Edited by Sumarianson

It is only the first year that it is extra work. Just make sure that you have an updated Kor Ror 2 document from the Amphur office and the 2 witnesses must be from your local area. It does not take much to take some photos but make sure that 1 of them is of you and your wife in front of the house showing the house number. You say that you have 400,000 in the bank, then you only need that in the bank for 2 months before your application and a letter from the bank verifying that it has seasoned for the 2 months

Kasikorn is annoying with this Dummy Branch transaction but I'm told that if you contact the international department in Bangkok, they will be able to supply you with a letter stating the source of the funds was a foreign transfer. That will be needed if you go down the income route.

Before doing that however, I would recommend you go to your Immigration office and check exactly what they want.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Russell17au said:

It is only the first year that it is extra work. Just make sure that you have an updated Kor Ror 2 document from the Amphur office and the 2 witnesses must be from your local area. It does not take much to take some photos but make sure that 1 of them is of you and your wife in front of the house showing the house number. You say that you have 400,000 in the bank, then you only need that in the bank for 2 months before your application and a letter from the bank verifying that it has seasoned for the 2 months

Sadly, I couldn't disagree more when you say the first year requires extra work. I've been on a marriage extension for 3 years and each year it's the same except for new photos of self and wife. Each year the IO  require a street map (on their form) showing the location of our house. Why do they need this? They've visited us before I was granted the first extension. Maybe they think we live in a 'mobile' home?

Edited by joebrown
Correct grammar