Pattaya is Dead - Lowest Foreigner Visits This Winter

Banana7

Although some Northern Europeans have already arrived for the winter, Pattaya is basically dead. Never before in the past 25 years, has this time of year seen so few foreigners in Pattaya. Of the ones who have arrived, they are indicating several reason why their friends won't be arriving. Basically 3 reasons:

1. Currency - Thai baht is too high against European currencies plus Thai prices have increased quickly, far above inflation.

2. Immigration issues - strict enforcement, refusal of entry with visa, new rules, TM30 fines to foreigners instead of Thai house masters, etc.

3. Poor and uncertain economic conditions in Europe

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Although some Northern Europeans have already arrived for the winter

white people numbers might be down, and businesses setup to cater to them might be suffering, but Chinese and Indians are still coming.

#2 does not apply to real tourists. first time visitors or once every few years with a very long return to home country not affected.

there is a a lot of buzz right now about a global recession. people don't go on vacation.

UK is on a war footing with fear and paranoia about shortages and civil unrest. 

Oh lovely, another end of the world post.

1.  Sounds like a personal problem in Europe.

2. Does not pertain to tourists.

3. Sounds like a personal problem in Europe.

I am loving the cheap prices and more quiet beaches.  Meanwhile......... on TVF:

End-is-near.png

11 minutes ago, cooked said:

My son saw a cheap deal flight + hotel to Pattaya with his son and I told him to go somewhere else, filthy beach and sea, ripoffs, sex trade everywhere, try an island. he loved Koh Samet.

Beware of Koh Samat! Huge "Hen" mosquitos plague the island from sunset to first light & then the sand fleas bite your feet to pieces...rip off locals-island from hell from personal experience.

4 minutes ago, Lone Ranger said:

Beware of Koh Samat! Huge "Hen" mosquitos plague the island from sunset to first light & then the sand fleas bite your feet to pieces...rip off locals-island from hell from personal experience.

The water is clean. and Deet keeps off the mozzies and sand flies, both of which I didn't experience at all. We were on the Western side....

Didn't experience any ripoffs either, maybe it has changed,

This town looks as busy as I have ever seen it this time of year.  The new beach is awesome, lots of beach goers enjoying it.  They are fixing the drainage.  There are new shopping and food options with the new mall.  People are still buying condos.  But don't let that stop you all from starting yet another "Pattaya is dying" thread.

49 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

I am loving the cheap prices and more quiet beaches.  Meanwhile......... on TVF:

What cheap prices? Bar fines at gogo's 1500 - insane. Most overpriced drinks (170-200 baht for Smirnoff?!). Not surprising they were all mostly empty, and the only gogos full (of Chinese, mostly) were the ones with 100 baht happy hour.

Quite a few people though, I haven't been this time last year but seemed busy everywhere.

9 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What cheap prices? Bar fines at gogo's 1500 - insane. Most overpriced drinks (170-200 baht for Smirnoff?!). Not surprising they were all mostly empty, and the only gogos full (of Chinese, mostly) were the ones with 100 baht happy hour.

Quite a few people though, I haven't been this time last year but seemed busy everywhere.

Then don't go to gogo's or only go during happy hour.  There are lots of other cheaper optins for booze and the other thing

8 hours ago, lapd said:

This town looks as busy as I have ever seen it this time of year.  The new beach is awesome, lots of beach goers enjoying it.  They are fixing the drainage.  There are new shopping and food options with the new mall.  People are still buying condos.  But don't let that stop you all from starting yet another "Pattaya is dying" thread.

I,ve been coming for 12 years (last 5 resident) and I have never seen it so quiet....where do you see the "lots of beach goers" I do not know....but certainly not here in Pattaya  :whistling:

@Banana7

"Thai baht is too high against European currencies plus Thai prices have increased quickly, far above inflation."

No lol yet again someone not understanding how foreign exchange works. Contrary to what so many believe there is no direct exchange rate between Sterling/Baht, Euro/Baht, Aussie Dollar/Baht etc etc....only the USD has that priviledge

For everyone else the bottom line number crunch is the sum of 2 pairings.

Now the OP is partially right in that the Thai baht is strong against European currencies but 80% of that is down to Sterling and Euros weakness against the Dollar. 20% down to the all important Dollar/Baht ratio (would be nice if it weakened out to 33 as would help everyone)

Until major currencies increase in value against the USD we'll continue to see these horrific rates but its NOT repeat NOT all down to the strength of the Baht against the USD

31 minutes ago, petermik said:

I,ve been coming for 12 years (last 5 resident) and I have never seen it so quiet....where do you see the "lots of beach goers" I do not know....but certainly not here in Pattaya  :whistling:

Visits up 5.6% this year. If you don't see that maybe you don't get out much or need to get your eyes checked.  I've never seen it so busy this time of year overall.  Some areas may be quieter but others more busy.  One thing I have noticed is that Central Festival is not as busy.  But that is because their food court is closed for renovation and because of T21 mall.  So people and traffic seem more spread out now between the 2 malls.

Of course restaurant/bar owners will always complain that it's not busy enough.  And options are ever changing/expanding so some businesses are doing better than others.

14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

No lol yet again someone not understanding how foreign exchange works. Contrary to what so many believe there is no direct exchange rate between Sterling/Baht, Euro/Baht, Aussie Dollar/Baht etc etc.

Don't be a bore. You can directly change Sterling, Oz Dollar, NZ Dollar, Euro, Philippine Peso, Chinese Yuan etc etc, in any of dozens of TT kiosks in Pattaya, any bank, any etc etc, directly into Thai Baht, and never even see a US dollar.  Rates are up on big TVs. 

I can add to this post. On one of my rare forays 'down south' I was out and about on Walking Street last night. Disappointed to find that one of my favourite bars, Crazy House, was closed. Went into a nearby one 'on spec'. I was the only person in there! Finally went to another of my favourites and the girls were sitting around doing nothing or dancing to the wall. I know it's only a snapshot on a low season Wednesday but it looked very quiet to me. Lots of tour parties outside, though!    

1 minute ago, sniggie said:

I can add to this post. On one of my rare forays 'down south' I was out and about on Walking Street last night. Disappointed to find that one of my favourite bars, Crazy House, was closed. Went into a nearby one 'on spec'. I was the only person in there! Finally went to another of my favourites and the girls were sitting around doing nothing or dancing to the wall. I know it's only a snapshot on a low season Wednesday but it looked very quiet to me. Lots of tour parties outside, though!    

Renovation, all in Lighthouse.

Pattaya looks pretty busy to me. Many Indians are here as well as loads of Chinese, Koreans and many from SE Asia. As the OP says, many Europeans drifting in and many won't leave till March or April next year. Hong Kong tourist industry has suffered badly because of the turmoil there and other destinations; like Pattaya; will benefit. The Russians will be along en masse shortly.

It is low season now, so I expect it will get even busier as the year draws to a close.

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

OP, 

what you should of written is,

'Lowest European Tourist Visits This Winter"

Overall, foreign tourist arrivals are up year on year.

I think his OP title should have been...

"I've No Actual Statistics But I'll Claim That Pattaya is Dead With The Lowest Foreigner Visits This Winter Even Though I Have No Way Of Backing Up My Claim"

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

According to TAT?  Are you a Thai spam bot? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

So lets all believe some guy cherry picking the same story to make it sound like it's down overall instead?  Multiply your :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: by 10 because I guess a simple person thinks that makes it better somehow.

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Seems to be less Russians around.  But I notice more of them around T21 and Naklua so maybe they are just more spread out now.

Your 'more spread out now' comment is spot on. Not just with the Russians but most nationalities. I have been visiting Pattaya for nearly 40 years with property initially on 3rd road from 1987 then East Pattaya since 2002. Pattaya has been expanding at a great rate and both foreign residents and tourists are located over a far greater area than previously, so that likely gives the impression of fewer numbers.

Those continually stating that Pattaya is dead really need  to expand their horizons. Pattaya is not just Walking Street and Beach Road.  

Archived