I was in Bangkok yesterday & what I saw depressed me.

kellersphuket

Mornin' yall,

been in BKK since monday to see friends, heading back to Phuket tomorrow on an early morning flight, thank god.

I decided to hit up Soi 4 with some old pals from back home. We haven't seen each other for years and it was great to meet up again over a few cold ones.

I was having a great time when I suddenly noticed what looked like police/security guy waiting on the path and prowling for foreigners dropping ciggarettes on the floor. I watched him constantly for the next 3 hours. In that time he fined 5 different people 2,000 baht (only white foreigners) for dropping their cigs on the floor as there were no bins in sight. I also noted that Thai people dropped theirs on the floor right in front of him and he didn't bat an eye. 

What is this all about? Is this something new? Seems to be outright governmental extortion taking place on the streets directed solely at westerners. Why isn't this big news? There were absolutely no bins in the vicinity for people to throw their cigarettes into. It seemed they knew exactly what they were doing and it really depressed me seeing foreigners being treated like this in broad daylight.

Not a good end to what has been a decent few nights with friends in the capital.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I watched him constantly for the next 3 hours"

Wow, how do you cope with that level of excitement, and if you were with other people "having a great time" they must have been really pleased with your attention diversion, you really need to get help mate, seriously.

I tend to agree with The Cobra that if you were having such fun how did you monitor the situation. And yeah, not easy to see 5x 2,000B change hands. If you're talking about Sukhumvit Soi 4 surely there are too many other distractions, plus your friends' good company.

In any case, smokers should be fined for littering. Anyone littering should be ashamed of themselves and punished.

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Good on the official.  Why do smokers who throw away butts think that its not litter?  It is and they deserve to be fined.    

My neighbor smokes in her carport and often her cigarette butts find their way to our carport. Saw my son pick one up the other day and I wanted to take it and stuff into her mouth. 

Just now, kellersphuket said:

I never used to see it going on when I lived in BKK 20+ years ago.

Now it seems they are everywhere, waiting only for some unsuspecting foreigner to drop a cig butt.

Hope to see more of it, personally.

5 minutes ago, lust said:

My neighbor smokes in her carport and often her cigarette butts find their way to our carport. Saw my son pick one up the other day and I wanted to take it and stuff into her mouth. 

Put up a sign? 2000 baht.

Good glad they got fined ,not so good they only target foreigners......these are all the signs I am getting made up for our resort ,,,fed up of Thais and westerners treating the place like a rubbish tip.

below is also a bad review we received because I threw a guy out the resort for throwing cigarette on floor.and yes I smoke myself and never throw butts on the floor.

Ordered an Americano - reply we dont do it. Its instant coffee., you make it yourself. When I asked for milk he pointed to the table and said powdered milk only.
I took my coffee to a table away from the so called restaurant/bar and lit a cigarette which he had sold me . There were some people nearby who were also smoking. He came from behind the bar and p pointed out a smoking area with one small stump for a table and no seating . He was obnoxious in his attitude and actually told me I was disgusting. 
A Brit with an attitude and obviously not doing well. 
The whole place looked run down and could do with a good clean.

Response from the owner8 months ago

This customer did not even stay at resort ,he came in and bought a coffee and pack of cigarettes and then sat and smoked right under our no smoking sign and threw the cigarette on the floor,we asked him to leave resort we are in national park and pure nature ,we will not have customers throwing rubbish onto the beach,a generally obnoxious disgusting person who really needs to think about there actions.

378923E9-ADCB-49ED-B672-8E3B11177F60.png

95881D0E-F146-48D7-8F08-5584CC58D4AE.jpeg

366B2383-1846-4CB4-A7C1-D3939C993C13.jpeg

3 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Good these are all the signs I am getting made up for our resort ,,,fed up of Thais and westerners treating the place like a rubbish tip.

below is also a bad review we received because I threw a guy out the resort for throwing cigarette on floor.and yes I smoke myself and never throw butts on the floor.

Is this your first experience as a manager/owner in hospitality?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Ah the serial moaner strikes again with an story. 

Like others mentioned wasting 3 hours watching and knowing the amounts that changed hand.. sounds a bit fishy.. then again many of kellersphuket his stories do. 

almost as tedious as the defender of  all things Thai posts ( and no I dont mean you)

Just now, Chazar said:

almost as tedious as the defender of  all things Thai posts ( and no I dont mean you)

But i do defend many Thai things, just to balance it out a bit. But not all things of course. It just amazes me how some people (if its true of course) can have so much bad luck stuff to moan about and still stay. If I dont like it here I move. The only thing that does get to me is immigration.

6 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Is this your first experience as a manager/owner in hospitality?

Not quite 12 years experience,,seen it all ,,no <deleted> or rip offs at our place we tell it like it is,if customer don’t like it they can go elsewhere ,we do ok are busy when we are supposed to be,,,you certainly don’t get the false smiles at our place,,,if you respect us we respect you ,if they don’t want to respect our place our rules our nature they are simply asked to check out.

33 minutes ago, beddhist said:

Fake cop?

About 7 years ago my sister visited me from Australia. Since emigrating from England to Australia she has become a bit of an Annie Oakley type, roaming her cattle ranch on horseback in the outback armed with a rifle, not easily scared. While in Bangkok she was stopped on the street by two security guards who said they were policemen and said they would fine her 2,000 Baht for dropping a cigarette butt (she doesn't smoke). She told them to get stuffed and they said they would take her to the police station where she would be held until her trial. She laughed and asked for handcuffs because she is dangerous, they looked unsure of themselves and said they would be happy with 500 Baht, she said she would be happy if they <deleted> off so muttering in Thai they walked away.

Archived