I was in Bangkok yesterday & what I saw depressed me.

kellersphuket

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

The stench walking down the streets in downtown Bangkok actually hurts the nose!

When the bars were closed for the election, I got myself a girlgobble behind a dumpster near Thermae and I agree it was pretty stinky. Thats why I carry *bing* Siang Pure *holds up product with a sly grin, maybe a sparkle off the tooth*, it keeps the odor down on those stinky dumpster days.

Try it, you will like it!

And by the way I dont smoke, and think the butts on the street are gross. But if you dont smoke, why do you care that a bunch of farang litterbugs are paying the price? Because they are the ones who probably have the 2 large in their wallets, vis a vis some ancient homeless toothless amputee smoking a newspaper rollie on a sewer grate with two satangs to run together. Yeah, dude, lets fine HIM......

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I don't know what happens to people here man, 

is it the Thainess that takes over or what??

I'm still trying to figure out how a western person can passively accept these institutionally racist tactics as 'the norm.'

It is far from the norm when a person is singled out for extortion due to the color of their skin. It is so, so wrong.

Agreed - with balance though. 

This issue with stopping and fining Westerners 2000 baht when the Thais rare ignored.... needs objection. So does double pricing. 

But other issues brought forwards in some posts such as 'the farang is always in the wrong in an accident' etc are just bar-stool rubbish.

So these threads need to be evaluated for what they are - some factual issues, others bias by someone who's been wronged and unable to face reality. 

4 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I'm still trying to figure out how a western person can passively accept these institutionally racist tactics as 'the norm.'

I'm still trying to figure out why (nobody in particular) manages to get in a froth about stuff that they can't do anything about... except probably leave (like they've been promising to do for quite a while now).

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Good on the official.  Why do smokers who throw away butts think that its not litter?  It is and they deserve to be fined.    

Irony aside in that no-one else but whitey was getting the shaft (because it is easy money), I do agree about smokers dumping their crud on the streets. Bunch of selfish F*****s! ????

I'm a lifelong smoker.  I do not throw butts on the ground.  I will squeeze out the loose tobacco, as I figure that is natural plant material and readily biodegradable.  I believe in military terms it's called "field stripping" the butt.  I put the filters in my pants pocket and dispose of them properly.  It's never occurred to me to do otherwise.

18 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

What is this all about? Is this something new? Seems to be outright governmental extortion taking place on the streets directed solely at westerners. Why isn't this big news?

No it's not new. It started many years ago, and yes it's a scam directed at farangs.

It's not news because it's what they do in LOS, and just one among many, many scams.

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It's not only smokers, it's trash in general. 

There's no trashcan anywhere close at the whole phrom phong bts, it's absolute madness... It's all already figured out why people litter, Thailand could just accept the facts that Walt Disney figured out many many decades ago: https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/disney-park-secrets-keep-magic-alive-gallery/slide-8

Did you ever count the trashcans in singapore, every x metres...no one there litters. It just works.

Look for an ATM. Typically these have a bin where you can throw away your rubbish... and perhaps start a fire too. ????

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you seriously need to get a life ….. 

indeed, another excellent topic posted by @kellersphuket, didn't think i'd have the patience or stamina to read all through the replies, I have out done myself. btw kellers, you owe me 35 minutes of my life and 2 big leos wasted reading through this t r a s h

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you seriously need to get a life ….. 

Well Kellersphuket not very often i agree with Steven 100 but this time i certainly do.

As he has said you seriously need to get a life.

You should not have gone to Bangkok, because whilst you were away pickups, many pickups were parked outside your gate.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well Kellersphuket not very often i agree with Steven 100 but this time i certainly do.

As he has said you seriously need to get a life.

You should not have gone to Bangkok, because whilst you were away pickups, many pickups were parked outside your gate.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

5555555555555555555555555 I remember that one 555555555555

so has he seeked refuge in bkk ? cheers CN

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

If smokers think getting fined for dropping a butt is harsh they should checkout ninemsn.com.au  $100 fine for smoking anywhere in Sydney CBD!

The end is near for smoker's

disagree, I smoke Marlboro, I gonna be a cowboy ...

20 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

2,000 baht

Did the price go up, 10 years ago I also was told it's 2000 bath, but when I was caught and brought to the paying desk around the corner it was only 1000 baht.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This time his point is valid. 

Yes - we get it, smokers should not drop their cigarette butts on the floor - they should find an ash-tray. Better still, they should not be allowed to smoke on he street. 

We also all know that the fine is 2000 baht, this has been reported on so many times. 

The real point of the story here is that only Westerners are being targeted by the 'officials', as the Op wrote, lots of Thai's dropped their cigarette butts in front of the official who did nothing - this has also been reported on numerous times. 

When street vendors and every Thai around them is littering, yet these officials target foreigners to the point of following smokers down the street its obvious what's going on and its wrong. 

Its very wrong. Yes - everyone dropping their cigarette butts and littering should be fined to equal amounts - when only Westerners are targeted it becomes obvious what this is, sanctioned extortion of Westerners - a money grab. 

And tat wonders why the tourist figures are down.

Keller old chap you dont seem a happy chappy always posting negative comments about thailand.Better to find the positives in life you'll stay more healthy that way and enjoy life.

With regards to fining farangs for dropping cigarette butts,of course the smoking nazi police will go for a farang he has money to pay, thais wont have the cash.

But having said that do you think it's right for smokers to drop their butts just because there's no rubbish bins?....Same as going to the beach,rubbish bins are often hard to find,does that make it ok to leave rubbish strewn on the beach?...no it's not, you take your rubbish away with you when you leave,same could be said about cigarette butts,take em away with you.

Try to enjoy the good things about thailand and obey the laws,whether its tm30,or the new visa requirements or what ever else.

51 minutes ago, madmen said:

If smokers think getting fined for dropping a butt is harsh they should checkout ninemsn.com.au  $100 fine for smoking anywhere in Sydney CBD!

The end is near for smoker's

If you,re in Sydney CBD, you deserve a fine anyway!

20 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I never used to see it going on when I lived in BKK 20+ years ago.

Now it seems they are everywhere, waiting only for some unsuspecting foreigner to drop a cig butt.

When I worked in an office building (BKK) they accommodated smokers at the back of the building (loading dock area). At lunch time I would carry with me an empty tobacco tin and use that to put my buts in much to the amusement of many people around me and to the city hall ciggie catcher.

26 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

nice to see all the apologists out in force this morning.

if only you knew what they really thought of you ????

learn a bit of Thai then maybe you will see what I mean.

I know more then a bit of Thai so I know what Thais think about me I would not be able to survive outside the tourist area's without some Thai.

Too bad for you there is not a moaner of the year award, there is a poster of the year award, but the before mentioned category you would win each and every year.

17 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I don't know what happens to people here man, 

is it the Thainess that takes over or what??

It is far from the norm when a person is singled out for extortion due to the color of their skin. It is so, so wrong.

Let's be clear: You have zero factual evidence of "institutional racism."  All you have is your (heavily biased) personal observation from a distance for a short period of time at one particular location.  You're not the first crying racism on these forums.  I recall some guy insisting that the police were only issuing no-helmet tickets to farang motorcyclists (complete nonsense). 

We all would agree that racial discrimination is wrong.  But your propensity for attacking Thailand and crying racism at everything that you see makes your credibility a bit questionable. 

Archived