I was in Bangkok yesterday & what I saw depressed me.

kellersphuket

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Utter nonsense said:

If u smoke I don't respect anything u post. Fine the farang and get them out of here. More fun for the rest of us. 

You won’t respect someone just because they smoke???? 

I imagine others aren't respected because they write galactically dim

comments on web forums such as whether someone smokes or not as being the sole factor in respecting their comment! 

I think some people may have missed the point regarding my OP.

The point is not about people littering.

Littering is disgusting, no matter who does it!

My point was that these so called government litter enforces where systematically targeting foreigners for fines whilst at the same time allowing locals to throw their trash on the floor.

They only fined foreigners.

That is/was the issue here.

7 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Look for an ATM. Typically these have a bin where you can throw away your rubbish... and perhaps start a fire too. ????

I don't smoke, i also don't like starting fires in public.

The lack of trash disposal in Bangkok is apparent tho and one of the reasons it's a dirty city. 

The whole city planning is horrible and not well thaught out, Bangkok is drowning in trash and that's a well known issue no one does anything about since many decades: http://thairesidents.com/local/bangkoks-garbage-problem-critical/

7 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

nice to see all the apologists out in force this morning.

if only you knew what they really thought of you ????

learn a bit of Thai then maybe you will see what I mean.

As to me, they think Im the greatest. Too bad they cant stand you.

56 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

They all say that!

till they learn thai ????

I dont care what they say, I only care how I am treated.

Like, for example, if I met you I would be very polite, while laughing at you behind your back.

6 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

The truth obviously hurts, doesn't it? Some people cannot deal with reality, so they live the comforting lie instead.

What truth? Your currently quite limited experience on a road in Phuket isn't and never will be a Thai empirical. Not even if you change your mind and stay (heaven forbid).

Some people cannot deal with their anger and they end up hurting themselves or other people. Meanwhile, most others, even the non-religious ones, turn the other cheek. Guess who lives longer (and has lower blood pressure)?

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

My point was that these so called government litter enforces where systematically targeting foreigners for fines whilst at the same time allowing locals to throw their trash on the floor.

You claim to speak Thai.

Do you know what the second line of the Thai national anthem says?

Do you understand Thai?

I used to be a smoker and I remember dropping a cigarette butt in a Bangkok street, I think it was in 1995 and they had just passed some laws about littering, and as my transgression was witnessed by a police officer I was caught, sat on a tiny stool with my girlfriend in the middle of the street to wait for a colleague who could speak English. Quite a large Thai crowd gathered to look at us while we were waiting. They finally found a young police man who could explain to me what I had done wrong. I think the fine at the time was the equivalent of USD 50, so quite a lot more than the current 2000 baht fines. Oh happy days????. I remember my girlfriend getting very upset with the police officers about the humiliating treatment and it was very fortunate that they didn't understand a word she was saying.

18 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I get your point and agree, but it's not something important enough to get my panties in a wad about.

Try looking at it from a purely pragmatic point of view rather than an emotional one. Most Thais will not have 2,000 baht to pay the fine, so why take the time and effort to confront them? If they can't pay the fine on the street, why haul them down to the police station where they still can't pay? It's a waste of time and effort for the police. Why do the shoe-shine boys only approach falangs? Because approaching a Thai is a waste of time and effort. Why do the ladies selling wooden frogs, or they guys selling tours and suits only approach falangs? Because approaching a Thai is a waste of time and effort. They don't have the money and are not interested.

On 9/13/2019 at 2:44 AM, kellersphuket said:

It's not nonsense at all.

They do this in Phuket all the time.

They wait on the road from Karon to Patong, only fining foreigners.

Your statements are factually incorrect.

Yes, I know the road well. There is a little police hut just before the hill leading out of Karon (going past Centara). I was fined there by the police 2 years ago and given a receipt, along with 7-8 other people - we queued to pay our 500 baht fines at the hut.

Most of the people in the queue were Thai. So in fact it is your statement that is factually incorrect.

4 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I get your point and agree, but it's not something important enough to get my panties in a wad about.

Try looking at it from a purely pragmatic point of view rather than an emotional one. Most Thais will not have 2,000 baht to pay the fine, so why take the time and effort to confront them? If they can't pay the fine on the street, why haul them down to the police station where they still can't pay? It's a waste of time and effort for the police. Why do the shoe-shine boys only approach falangs? Because approaching a Thai is a waste of time and effort. Why do the ladies selling wooden frogs, or they guys selling tours and suits only approach falangs? Because approaching a Thai is a waste of time and effort. They don't have the money and are not interested.

You could argue the same with the roads... Most Thai's will not have 2000baht to pay, so why bother stopping Thai's if they can't pay the fine on the street... yadda-yadda-yadda.. Its a waste of effort the police.... 

Of course, using such an argument would show a huge degree of cerebral flatulence.... 

Yet another poster who thinks the Thai's are all poor.

It's not cigarette-butt's that clog the submerged drainage canals/pipes in Pattaya. It's mainly plastic-bags and other garbage.
- I always carry a little portable ashtray with me. That's where my cigarette-butts end up. But it's always one of the highlights of my frequent visits to Thailand that I can still dispose of any (plastic) garbage in the streets in plain view of the cops, without ever having been fined. I find this exciting. The freedom and the right to pollute, except when it comes to cig-butts, of course.
By disposing all kinds of garbage in the streets I am just imitating Thai's. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Except for cigarette-butts, well understood.

16 minutes ago, swissie said:

It's not cigarette-butt's that clog the submerged drainage canals/pipes in Pattaya. It's mainly plastic-bags and other garbage

Food carts tipping out 5 Litre's of palm oil that solidifies does big damage. Thankfully in Bangkok most of them were sent back to their farms, great job the army!!

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course, using such an argument would show a huge degree of cerebral flatulence.... 

Yet another poster who thinks the Thai's are all poor.

No need to be rude, unless of course that just your natural personality, or the only way you are capable of getting your point across. Many people see that as a lack of education.

I don't think ALL Thais are poor, you make a big jump in your assumptions based on a few lines that I wrote. More evidence of your lacking education...or cerebral flatulence as you correctly excreted it. Discrimination aside, I simply think the Butt-Police will have a much higher success rate targeting Farangs rather than Thais. Farangs will more often have the money and are probably easier to intimidate. A Thai, especially a rich Thai, would be much harder to intimidate, thus a waste of time and effort. A pragmatic approach to what they want...maximum money with minimum effort.

Archived