Immigration chief: TM 30 law is outdated and needs to change

webfact

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webfact said:

The BBC Thai said that moves are underway to adapt TM 30 regulations to bring them more in line with conditions in Thailand forty years after they were brought in. 

Yes, 24 hours to report is so yesteryear. It's 2019 now so it should be done within 3 hours.

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes, 24 hours to report is so yesteryear. It's 2019 now so it should be done within 3 hours.

Real time of course. Easiest is to force evil aliens to carry a phone with mandatory data plan running a locator app 24/7. If it goes offline, manhunt and deportation & blacklist. Modern ankle bracelet, us parolees deserve nothing less. 

36 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

It will include a tick box asking if you are a terrorist or threat to the country. 

(As was said to be a problem the other day)

Just as the Ozy form has, from memory 'have you trained with, been or are a member of any terrorist organization ? pure genius.

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Is it just me? Or are others feeling a little cynical? It's not the Thai way to suddenly admit unequivocal defeat to foreigners.

It's not "unequivocal defeat by foreigners", they received many complaints and are reviewing and hopefully resolving the issue. Get a life. 

One problem everyone overlooks is the number of staff that the immigration department has. A normal government would streamline the process and reduce staff numbers but face and pride is everything here so you would have to find jobs within the department. Bye bye TM30 hello TM3X.

I believe this to be very bad news indeed, they will make it more stringent than it already is, they are planning evil ways to exact revenge on those who complained about the system, many here are jumping up and down with joy only to be driven down with a sudden blunt blow.

2 hours ago, Tambs2020 said:

OK.. Now the next protest should be about having to do "Runs" when married to a Thai citizen.

Once married you should NOT have to deal with all that rubbish. 

My wife can live in my home country because she is married to a citizen,  this should be a reciprocal agreement.

Or should I be writing this to the chief himself.. I'm sure he will see sense ???? haha

What country is that?

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

A. he must have seen the futality and uselessness of this law

B. his people are buckling under the unnecessary workloads for nothing and for no apparent benefits other to show that they're in control,

C. the penny has finally dropped and now they see the errors of their ways..Amen...

In typical Thai thinking, that is completely wrong.

The scene has already been set  with the announcement, TM 30 is out of date, and it has been decide after fully reviewing the law as it stand and in consultation with all parties and for the ongoing benefit for Thailand - a changed to reflect a modern world approach to immigration control is required. 

See it was easily explained, no loss of face or back-pedalling, and all done with only the best interests of Thailand in mind. 

This has been a banner year for immigration to jack up expats...increased demands and scrutiny at immigration offices, airports, and border crossings.

The lack to parity between immigration's handling of documents in the many offices has added unnecessary angst to many expats lives.

The fact that they have acknowledged a problem...gives a ray of hope for the future...we shall wait and see...????

8 minutes ago, kotsak said:

I am planning to ask this when I submit my extension of stay application tomorrow. ???? 

image.jpeg.3c49c2ec304ce69331453b1a25000c4d.jpeg

My extension is in about 3 weeks and I don't intend asking anything, as "I know nothing". 

The devil will be in the detail

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

A. he must have seen the futality and uselessness of this law

B. his people are buckling under the unnecessary workloads for nothing and for no apparent benefits other to show that they're in control,

C. the penny has finally dropped and now they see the errors of their ways..Amen...

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, given the Immigration chief's comments above, I fear another round of wrist-bracelet, SIM card or microchip tracking of foreigners proposals coming along... :ph34r:

My money is on an under the skin chip 

1 hour ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Most Government requirements in Thailand are outdated, TM30's, 90 day reports, hours wasted just to renew a license, photo copies of everything, every government office has their own rules and requirements and even they change depending on the mood of an official. A developing country but developing very slowly.

This country is not developing at all, it is going backwards, and not very slowly.

I hope there are major changes for the better to the TM30 process (goatrope).   And the former immigration commander, Big Joke, made some big immigration rule proposals like doing away with 90 day address reporting for folks on long stay/1 year visa/extensions of stay....and maybe a retirement visa/extension of stay longer than 1 year....but none of the proposals went anywhere...they were just self-serving sound bites for news media purposes.

And I sure know in late August when I renewed my retirement extension of stay for the 10th time at Chaeng Wattana I was fined Bt800 for not having a TM30 onfile. 

Sure hope they refund that Bt800 if they decide to stop enforcing the TM30 goatrope.  Yea, yea, I know, once you give money to a Thai it's never seen again.   Refund?!  Can not! 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow.

so signing the petition started the conversation in the media and lead to the big meeting with expats and the press and now some forward motion. for sure some blow back from Thai business owners and super big international companies with thousands of workers.

You don't seem to realize how much money is brought by foreigners in Thailand.... I knew, before I started the petition. I also knew that the GPD was going down, tourism was a problem, health care raised 12% in 12 years, population is aging and there are 3,7 million immigrants in Thailand, 3 millions being from Myanmar, Burma and Laos.

It was not a fishing expedition but an invitation to look at an old regulation that is outdated and does NOT help to secure Thailand for terrorism. We all knew but some people thought a foreigner in Thailand has no voice, can't do nothing and you can't change anything in the world. I believe the opposite if you unite. There are only 6,000 signatures. Where are the hundreds of thousands of foreigners living in the country that believe TM30 is absurd? Are you afraid to say that you also agree? If you want my personal opinion, COWARDS are people that found all the reasons in the world not to sign: The English is not perfect, there is no SSL certificate, You don't talk about health insurance, the government will get the list of these people, etc.

At least, I had the balls and few people owe me a beer for that! Don't you think? BTW, our small law firm with 6 employees helped to invest about 500 million baht in Nakhon Ratchasima in 13 years. This is what foreigners do in my area: Marry a Thai person, send money to Thailand, build houses, businesses, joint-venture, hire local staff and according to a study of KK university I think in 2014, create 800,000 jobs in Isaan.

Immigration knows my address for many, many years. TM30 pure bureaucracy that nobody will never check. Facebook, Google or Apple have better software to track people....

Archived